• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Muskogie Phoenix - Open carry law a potentially deadly idea

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

keep em' under 200 words, short to the point, one idea at a time.

This editorial does not take into account that:

Police do not stop every car on the road to cvheck for licenses

Open carry is working just fine in 43 states

Open crry deters crime (proven in recently in Georgia, see http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlanta-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d18-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw

----

http://muskogeephoenix.com/opinion/x1036629250/Open-carry-law-a-potentially-deadly-idea

SNIP

Imagine tourists walking in downtown Tulsa or Oklahoma City seeing someone with a holstered weapon.

Can you tell just by looking whether this person has passed a background check and completed a firearms training course?

Can the police?

Law enforcement officers will have to stop to check the permits of everyone they see carrying a weapon. Officers can’t assume the person has a legitimate permit without checking.

If you see one in every 38 people carrying a weapon, would you feel safer or think you need a weapon, too?

What happens if an unarmed mugger comes across someone they feel they can overwhelm physically?

Will they wrestle the weapon away from the citizen?

okiephlyer

imported post

Open carry law a potentially deadly idea? The unidentified writer plays to fear mongering rather than research a subject and present all the facts to the public. OK, it is an opinion piece that happens to be full of fear, conjecture and suppositions. In 43 other states there is some form of open carry allowed by law. There have not been shootouts in the street, innocent people are not being shot by law abiding citizens, and crime has gone down. Criminals fear an armed citizen more than they do police. If you are openly armed, the criminal will go to someone else to commit his crime. Concealed carry has a deterrence effect, though more limited than open carry, simply because the criminal doesn’t know whether you are armed or not. In a society where the criminal knows that the population may be armed, he will choose his victims carefully. In an openly armed society, he will go elsewhere. I have not found any case where a citizen openly carrying a firearm was picked out of a crowd to be the victim of a crime. So who is threatened by openly armed law abiding citizens? It is only the criminal element. How would police or bystanders know if someone openly armed is a criminal or not? It’s easy. Is the gun holstered? Criminals will not go to the trouble to buy/steal a holster. They also do not want any extra scrutiny to their activities, so they hide their guns. I travel frequently and have visited states with open carry. The people I have come across that openly carried firearms have been the most friendly, courteous and respectful group anywhere. For the safety and security of Oklahomans, and in recognition of our God given rights as acknowledged by the US Constitution, I would encourage Gov. Henry to sign this bill without delay.

This was sent to the editor about 20 minutes ago.

MK

imported post

What happens if an unarmed mugger comes across someone they feel they can overwhelm physically?

Will they wrestle the weapon away from the citizen?
I guess if they were completely insane they may try. Who the hell is going to take that chance? Why would someone climb razor wire and walk a mind field for a tomato, when they could just shoplift one at the local market?

No, they will move on down the road and victimize the poor soul like this editor who believes guns should only be carried by government agents in defense of the ruling elite. He lives in his protected little world of entitlement. He doesn't care about the average citizen whose buying his paper. He just cares about their dollar.

He's showing his ignorance.