Thread: License To Purchase Pistol

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Ok...

Ihave moved tothe infamous Battle Creek.

I have not yet obtained my Michigan CPL.

So, today, I head down to the BCPD to find out about getting a LTPP, since I need one as a Michigan Resident without a CPL.

Come to find out, I have to take a test? Then, I need to provide my social, place of birth, place of employment, and other miscellanous personal information.

Fine. I give out this crap begrudgingly, and take the stupid (and I mean literally stupid - they had the answers in a phamplet they gave to me with the test...) test.

They hand me my license, and I take a look... They want me to fill out the make, model, caliber, serial number, and other!

Is this legal?

Post imported post

Yep that is the process.. except where I am they do not ask about place of employment.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Welcome to Michigan. We register pistols in this state.

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    at least it allows us to carry w/o cpl within 1000 ft. of a school,not too many urban places are much more than 1000 ft. from a school these days.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

Just for clarification, lil freak is commenting on how the federal gun free school zones act of 1996 exempts those who are licensed to carry by their home states, and act 372 of 1927 defines registration as a license to carry, among other things. There are still a ton of places that you can't carry without that CPL.

And by the way, on the topic of licenses to carry, as a Michigan resident, an out of state license to carry concealed will give you the right to open carry at all of the criminal empowerment zones that a CPL would exempt you from while open carrying. But remember, you can't carry concealed under these licenses, or in a vehicle. This is a fabulous option for new residents who aren't eligable for CPL's because of not being a resident for 6 months yet, as well as people who are 18-20.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    at least it allows us to carry w/o cpl within 1000 ft. of a school,not too many urban places are much more than 1000 ft. from a school these days.
    Michigan could just as easily obviate this requirement with a law stating that all citizens with legally aquired firearms are hereby licensed to carry the firearm in this state.

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    Michigan could just as easily obviate this requirement with a law stating that all citizens with legally aquired firearms are hereby licensed to carry the firearm in this state.
    Which is exactly what I told a couple Michigan law makers.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    Which is exactly what I told a couple Michigan law makers.
    i hope it changes to be this way,mike cox expressed his intent at the SAM i believe,but currently we register,therefore can carry within 1000 feet of a school(cpl and open carry still required to go onto school property of course)

my biggest fear with losing registration is that we would lose the within 1000 ft. thing,which would make most urban area's a no go.this of course does not apply to cpl holders.

not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

I have an elementary school about 1500 feet from my house via the road back into the neighborhood. I imagine it is barely 1'000' as the crow flies, and I definitely come within 1,000' of it when walking my dog.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Post imported post

fozzy71 wrote:
    I have an elementary school about 1500 feet from my house via the road back into the neighborhood. I imagine it is barely 1'000' as the crow flies, and I definitely come within 1,000' of it when walking my dog.
    If you have a CPL doesn't matter. If you don't, as long as you own the pistol and it's legally registered, then it doesn't matter as long as you don't step a foot on school property. You can OC on the sidewalk in front of the school, but go no further onto "their" property.

Post imported post

Thank you for confirming. I wasn't sure for a while so I would take my walks across the street, in the opposite direction of the school.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    ........,but currently we register,therefore can carry within 1000 feet of a school......
    Would someone mind explaining this in detail, preferably with a cite? Just so I can understand it thoroughly if I am ever approached in the neighborhood.

Post imported post

fozzy71 wrote:
    lil_freak_66 wrote:
    ........,but currently we register,therefore can carry within 1000 feet of a school......
    Would someone mind explaining this in detail, preferably with a cite? Just so I can understand it thoroughly if I am ever approached in the neighborhood.
    Below is a letter from the BATF addressing the GFSZA:

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/batf_school_zone.pdf

In other words, what the BATF letter is saying is: If you're a resident of Michigan and when you purchased your pistol(s), you did so by way of a License To Purchase or you were in possession of a vaild CPL.

Post imported post

http://vaguninfo.com/pages/gunfreeschools.htm

Excerpt:
    There is an exemption for concealed permit holders which states:

"(ii) if the ndividual possessing the firearm is licensed to do
    so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
    political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or
    political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtainssuch a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"
    The site this is from is talking about Virginia concealed licenses as being an exceptionbut a Michigan Permit to Purchase also qualifies.

Bronson

Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Post imported post

FYI - the following thread link shows an email discussion I recently had with one of the MI Reps that included eliminating the "pistol registration".

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/43101-1.html

There is support for eliminating the "pistol registration", but it appears the Governor is not currently in support of that. Maybe when we get a new MI Gov...
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar

Post imported post

From my understanding the test is about as easy as a test can get, i'll be taking mine within a couple weeks or so if all goes as planned.
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

Banned

Post imported post

yeah, this one is a piece of cake.

Post imported post

Bronson wrote:
    http://vaguninfo.com/pages/gunfreeschools.htm

Excerpt:
    There is an exemption for concealed permit holders which states:

"(ii) if the ndividual possessing the firearm is licensed to do
    so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
    political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or
    political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtainssuch a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"
    The site this is from is talking about Virginia concealed licenses as being an exceptionbut a Michigan Permit to Purchase also qualifies.

Bronson
    28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.
    Sec. 2.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

Solid work gentlemen. You’re correct because in Michigan the ten day handgun purchase permit in the firearm statutes are actually called licenses NOT permits. Accordingly then, even a person who does NOT possess a CPL would be able to open carry on a sidewalk in front of a school and wouldn’t be bound by the 1,000 ft rule.

So the whole rigmarole as to why the Wayne State campus Lieutenant stopped me last week was B.S. and he may or may not have realize it.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Chances are he was just misinformed like the other 99% of the population (just as I was about this issue). Misinformation is a powerful tool it would seem.

Post imported post

fozzy71 wrote:
    Chances are he was just misinformed like the other 99% of the population (just as I was about this issue). Misinformation is a powerful tool it would seem.
    Fozzy71 you’re the best! Thanks for posting the links regarding the Federal Guns Free Zones Act of 1996 in the other forum so that I was able to study and research the topic.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Post imported post

cmdr_iceman71 wrote:
    fozzy71 wrote:
    Fozzy71 you’re the best! Thanks for posting the links regarding the Federal Guns Free Zones Act of 1996 in the other forum so that I was able to study and research the topic.
    I am glad it helped. I am a newbie on this forum and have a ton to learn obviously, but I have forum experience of over 40k posts on other forums over the past 3 years. Apparently I am good at the internets.

It's actually part of my full time job now to moderate and answer forum questions (tech support for analytical software). The reason I got that job is because I had answered 1,000+ posts for their customers on a forum just because I happened to be there and know the answer, not because I was being paid. Being helpful is just in my nature I suppose.

Hopefully as time goes on I can be even more of a help to the OC movement in general.