• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

License To Purchase Pistol

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ok...

Ihave moved tothe infamous Battle Creek.

I have not yet obtained my Michigan CPL.

So, today, I head down to the BCPD to find out about getting a LTPP, since I need one as a Michigan Resident without a CPL.

Come to find out, I have to take a test? Then, I need to provide my social, place of birth, place of employment, and other miscellanous personal information.

Fine. I give out this crap begrudgingly, and take the stupid (and I mean literally stupid - they had the answers in a phamplet they gave to me with the test...) test.

They hand me my license, and I take a look... They want me to fill out the make, model, caliber, serial number, and other!

Is this legal?

lil_freak_66

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Welcome to Michigan. We register pistols in this state.
at least it allows us to carry w/o cpl within 1000 ft. of a school,not too many urban places are much more than 1000 ft. from a school these days.

Michigander

imported post

Just for clarification, lil freak is commenting on how the federal gun free school zones act of 1996 exempts those who are licensed to carry by their home states, and act 372 of 1927 defines registration as a license to carry, among other things. There are still a ton of places that you can't carry without that CPL.

And by the way, on the topic of licenses to carry, as a Michigan resident, an out of state license to carry concealed will give you the right to open carry at all of the criminal empowerment zones that a CPL would exempt you from while open carrying. But remember, you can't carry concealed under these licenses, or in a vehicle. This is a fabulous option for new residents who aren't eligable for CPL's because of not being a resident for 6 months yet, as well as people who are 18-20.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
Welcome to Michigan. We register pistols in this state.
at least it allows us to carry w/o cpl within 1000 ft. of a school,not too many urban places are much more than 1000 ft. from a school these days.

Michigan could just as easily obviate this requirement with a law stating that all citizens with legally aquired firearms are hereby licensed to carry the firearm in this state.

Michigander

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Michigan could just as easily obviate this requirement with a law stating that all citizens with legally aquired firearms are hereby licensed to carry the firearm in this state.
Which is exactly what I told a couple Michigan law makers.

lil_freak_66

imported post

Michigander wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
Which is exactly what I told a couple Michigan law makers.
i hope it changes to be this way,mike cox expressed his intent at the SAM i believe,but currently we register,therefore can carry within 1000 feet of a school(cpl and open carry still required to go onto school property of course)

my biggest fear with losing registration is that we would lose the within 1000 ft. thing,which would make most urban area's a no go.this of course does not apply to cpl holders.

fozzy71

imported post

I have an elementary school about 1500 feet from my house via the road back into the neighborhood. I imagine it is barely 1'000' as the crow flies, and I definitely come within 1,000' of it when walking my dog. :uhoh:

FatboyCykes

imported post

fozzy71 wrote:
I have an elementary school about 1500 feet from my house via the road back into the neighborhood. I imagine it is barely 1'000' as the crow flies, and I definitely come within 1,000' of it when walking my dog. :uhoh:

If you have a CPL doesn't matter. If you don't, as long as you own the pistol and it's legally registered, then it doesn't matter as long as you don't step a foot on school property. You can OC on the sidewalk in front of the school, but go no further onto "their" property.

fozzy71

imported post

Thank you for confirming. I wasn't sure for a while so I would take my walks across the street, in the opposite direction of the school. :D

fozzy71

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
........,but currently we register,therefore can carry within 1000 feet of a school......

Would someone mind explaining this in detail, preferably with a cite? Just so I can understand it thoroughly if I am ever approached in the neighborhood.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

fozzy71 wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
........,but currently we register,therefore can carry within 1000 feet of a school......

Would someone mind explaining this in detail, preferably with a cite? Just so I can understand it thoroughly if I am ever approached in the neighborhood.

Below is a letter from the BATF addressing the GFSZA:

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/batf_school_zone.pdf

In other words, what the BATF letter is saying is: If you're a resident of Michigan and when you purchased your pistol(s), you did so by way of a License To Purchase or you were in possession of a vaild CPL.

Bronson

imported post

http://vaguninfo.com/pages/gunfreeschools.htm

Excerpt:
There is an exemption for concealed permit holders which states:

[align=left]"(ii) if the ndividual possessing the firearm is licensed to do
so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or
political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtainssuch a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"
[/align]

The site this is from is talking about Virginia concealed licenses as being an exceptionbut a Michigan Permit to Purchase also qualifies.

Bronson

cmdr_iceman71

imported post

Bronson wrote:
http://vaguninfo.com/pages/gunfreeschools.htm

Excerpt:
There is an exemption for concealed permit holders which states:

[align=left]"(ii) if the ndividual possessing the firearm is licensed to do
so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or
political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtainssuch a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"
[/align]

The site this is from is talking about Virginia concealed licenses as being an exceptionbut a Michigan Permit to Purchase also qualifies.

Bronson
28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.
Sec. 2.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

Solid work gentlemen. You’re correct because in Michigan the ten day handgun purchase permit in the firearm statutes are actually called licenses NOT permits. Accordingly then, even a person who does NOT possess a CPL would be able to open carry on a sidewalk in front of a school and wouldn’t be bound by the 1,000 ft rule.

So the whole rigmarole as to why the Wayne State campus Lieutenant stopped me last week was B.S. and he may or may not have realize it.

fozzy71

imported post

Chances are he was just misinformed like the other 99% of the population (just as I was about this issue). Misinformation is a powerful tool it would seem.

cmdr_iceman71

imported post

fozzy71 wrote:
Chances are he was just misinformed like the other 99% of the population (just as I was about this issue). Misinformation is a powerful tool it would seem.

Fozzy71 you’re the best! Thanks for posting the links regarding the Federal Guns Free Zones Act of 1996 in the other forum so that I was able to study and research the topic.