• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dog shot in Monroe park during dog fight

olypendrew

imported post

Police told The Daily Herald of Everett the owner of a golden retriever was trying to protect it Tuesday from being attacked by two bulldogs. The 44-year-old Sultan man, who has a concealed weapons permit, was hitting one of the bulldogs with the gun when it fired.

Police say the shooting apparently was an accident, but the Snohomish County prosecutor's office will decided whether to charge the man.

The wounded bulldog underwent surgery and is expected to recover. The retriever had bite injuries to the face and neck.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...07_apwamonroedogshooting.html?syndication=rss

I bet this guy was glad he had a gun in a park. I'm not clear on why/how this was accidental; maybe he claimed he was just pistol whipping the dog, and the gun "went off." But even if the prosecutor believes he shot the dog on purpose, I don't see anything wrong with a dog owner shooting other dogs that attack his pet, assuming his pet is on-leash and under control, and the other dogs are running loose.

brianstone1985

imported post

Great story to read on here Drew! This brings up a question I have had many times... I take my dog to a dog park next to a elementary school... so I do not open carry while there. However with animals little scuffles do tend to happen (especially when a pack of them is involved) even with the nicest of dogs. I feel I would be within my rights if I feared for my dog or my own safety to shoot another aggressive animal. Any thoughts to the contrary or law specific reasoning would be appreciated!

-B

69Charger

imported post

A dog lover shooting a dog has to be tough. I am glad both dogs will live. Dogs are for some, there kids, family members. You protect them like you would a family member. I feel I would have done the same thing.
Dave

Ajetpilot

imported post

I take my dogs to an off-leash dog park almost everyday, and I've Oc'd for a number of years. I started OC'ing there when one of my dogs was attacked by a huge St. Bernard, who then attacked me. After a struggle, the owner was finally able to get the dog off of me, but not before I sustained several bites requiring stitches (and a subsequent infection). Now I live by the words, "Not me. Not mine. Not today!"

Ajetpilot

imported post

brianstone1985 wrote:
This brings up a question I have had many times... I take my dog to a dog park next to a elementary school... so I do not open carry while there.
Just to be clear, as long as you have a CPL, there is no legal reason to prevent you from carrying, open or concealed, while at a park that is not on school property, butnear a school.

Aaron1124

imported post

69Charger wrote:
A dog lover shooting a dog has to be tough. I am glad both dogs will live. Dogs are for some, there kids, family members. You protect them like you would a family member. I feel I would have done the same thing.
Dave
+1

DEROS72

imported post

I just got a call from Shimari Stone the KOMO reporter that covered our Dino's meet last Oct..He had to tell me that he wanted me to know he was the only reporter that spoke to the dogs owner.Who he found had aCPL and that after the police investigated said there will be no charges.He also wanted me to know that the other stations didn't cover it that way and there seems to be a real bias against gun owners here...He sounded really upset about the way the other stations were reporting this and the bias that seemed to be in their reports. As you can see we have establised a good repoir with some of these reporters and they are not all biased.

69Charger

imported post

Not good to hear but not to surprising ether. There chain of command shows that the shit runs down hill. DO AS YOU ARE TOLD. Wonder how the reporters really feel about things?
Dave

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Drew can correct me if I am wrong, but you can shoot/kill other animals doing damage to your property. A dog is your property if another dog is doing damage to it I see nothing wrong in shooting/killing it.

Now me personally I wouldn't if my animal started the provocation.

Hendo

imported post

deanf wrote:
Anything attacking my dog is doing it to get to me.
With respect there is a difference between dog on dog agression and dog on people aggression.

Aaron1124

imported post

Hendo wrote:
deanf wrote:
Anything attacking my dog is doing it to get to me.
With respect there is a difference between dog on dog agression and dog on people aggression.
One gives a person a right to use lethal force, and the other gives the dog the right to use lethal force.

Hendo

imported post

Well my point was that not all dog on dog aggression has anything to do with people. I regularly took my pit/lab mix to the off leash area and while as he got older he had some "conversations" with certain alpha dogs he was never aggressive with people.

He in fact was the sweetest and gentlest to my grandkids when they were toddlers.

This is not to say that shooting a dog attacking your dog is necessarily wrong - but to say that not all dog on dog aggression means you are next.