• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC help needed at upcoming Taylor City Council Meeting, 7:30pm on Tuesday May 18th

DanM

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Taking comments?

Also, PLEASE have someone who is proficient with English proofread your letter.

You are representing all gun owners, and things like "a person legally in procession of a pistol" are veryembarrassing.

Please ensure your letter is perfect in spelling and punctuation. If you don't know anyone else who can help you, PM me.

FatboyCykes

imported post

DanM wrote:
JeffSayers wrote:
Taking comments?

Also, PLEASE have someone who is proficient with English proofread your letter.

You are representing all gun owners, and things like "a person legally in procession of a pistol" are veryembarrassing.

Please ensure your letter is perfect in spelling and punctuation. If you don't know anyone else who can help you, PM me.
Also, please don't take offense to this, it's just....a fact. None of us have perfect spelling or punctuation all of the time, but in a formal letter like this, it's a must.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Okay Guys,

DanM has pointed out that my english skills aren't up to par. Please review the attached document and tell me where my mistakes are.

Thanks in advance,

Someone who has gotten rusty at writing formal letters.

sasha601

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle,

I like your letter a lot. One suggestion: instead of saying "regarding the open carrying of pistols" just say "regarding carrying of pistols".

Strategically, this way it will by digested better by people who are likely anti-gun and who are very likely anti-carry. The goal is to compel them to change ordinances, so do not rob them the wronfg way unnecessarily with word "open". Besides, current ordinances violate these who carry concealed as well.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good news,

I got a call from Rene Cizio, a reporter from the local paper (News-Herald). She might do a article on this. She asked for Dougwg contact info. too, so it should be a good read! :D

I will post whatever makes the paper.

:celebrate

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
UPDATE:

Got a call from PD Chief - City Council doesn't want us there!

I very nicely explained we are simply exercising our constitutional rights.

wow - the chief of police is trying to chill attendance at a city council metting? Does not violate the letter and spirit of Michigan's open meeting law?

I guess they are about to see open carry law meet open meeting law...

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dougwg
4497.jpg

Joined:Thu Nov 29th, 2007 Location:Westland, Michigan USA Posts:2084 Status: Online Posted: Tue May 11th, 2010 10:51 am QuoteReply Why did you get a call?

How did the Chief know we were coming?

Don't tell me you gave them a headsup?
I assume the reporter called him yesterday for the other side of the story?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think the Chief is actually OK with OC, he's just doing what he has been told to do by the "powers" above him. He asked for members of MOC to come in and help with training, so I don't think PD is the issue here. It's the folks responsible for making/changing local law at fault. Go figure aye:question::banghead:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
UPDATE:

Got a call from PD Chief - City Council doesn't want us there!

I very nicely explained we are simply exercising our constitutional rights.

wow - the chief of police is trying to chill attendance at a city council metting?  Does not violate the letter and spirit of Michigan's open meeting law?

I guess they are about to see open carry law meet open meeting law...

you are correct and here's your cite:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/OpenMtgsFreedom.pdf

Penalties Under the Act:
The first time a public official intentionally breaks the law, he or she can be punished by a maximum fine of $1,000. For a
second offense within the same term of office, he or she can be fined up to $2,000, jailed for a maximum of one year or both.
A public official who intentionally violates the act is also personally liable for actual and exemplary damages up to $500, plus
court costs and attorney fees.