• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC help needed at upcoming Taylor City Council Meeting, 7:30pm on Tuesday May 18th

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hello all,

I am trying to organize a strong showing from our group at the next City of Taylor Council meeting. It is clear from speaking to city officials that they are unwilling to change these illegal ordinances. This is why it's important to show them that we won't just fade away.

Link to Charter - in search box type firearms for bad ordinances.

http://library1.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=12014&doc_action=whatsnew

We wouldn't need to be there until 7:30pm on Tuesday May 18th. If you think you can make it, I've included a link to the address and map below.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=map+of+City+of+Taylor+23555+Goddard+Road+Taylor,+MI+48180&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=23555+Goddard+Rd,+Taylor,+MI+48180&gl=us&ei=-driS4_fO4XENs23uZUD&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBsQ8gEwAA

If you need more info or have questions send me a PM.

Thanks in advance for any support.

fozzy71

imported post

Sec. 20-60. Firearms, hunting, trapping.
No person shall in any park hunt, trap or pursue wildlife at any time. No person shall use, carry or possess firearms of any description, air rifles, spring guns, bows and arrows, slings or any other forms of weapons potentially inimicable to wild life and dangerous to human safety or any instrument that can be loaded with and fire blank cartridges or any kind of trapping device. Shooting into any park areas from beyond park boundaries is forbidden.
(Ord. No. 82-130, § 7(D)(1), 10-26-82)
Cross references: Weapons generally, § 19-226 et seq.

emoticon-00114-dull.gif

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Oh - it gets worse if you break said "illegal law" not only are you charged with a crime, your pistol is taken and sold at auction for a profit....nice:what:
(b)All replica and imitation firearms, as defined in section 19-239, carried or possessed by any person are hereby declared forfeited to the city.
(Ord. No. 75-51, § 6.8, 2-11-75; Ord. No. 08-428, 2-19-08)

I've talked with folks in their PD and they know that OC is legal and they won't be enforcing the bogus ordinances. This makes it even more confusing as to why the elected officials are so opposed to amending them?:question:

sasha601

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to organize a strong showing from our group at the next City of Taylor Council meeting. It is clear from speaking to city officials that they are unwilling to change these illegal ordinances. This is why it's important to show them that we won't just fade away.

Link to Charter - in search box type firearms for bad ordinances.

http://library1.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=12014&doc_action=whatsnew

We wouldn't need to be there until 7:30pm on Tuesday May 18th. If you think you can make it, I've included a link to the address and map below.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=map+of+City+of+Taylor+23555+Goddard+Road+Taylor,+MI+48180&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=23555+Goddard+Rd,+Taylor,+MI+48180&gl=us&ei=-driS4_fO4XENs23uZUD&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBsQ8gEwAA

If you need more info or have questions send me a PM.

Thanks in advance for any support.

Glock9mmOldStyle,

Could you describe what steps were taken up to now to convince City of Taylor to revise illegal Ordinances? Did anyone presented this at City Council meeting in the past? When did it happen?. Who did you talk to, if anyone? Was it over the phone, or via e-mails? Did you ever talk to City Attorney? Other details are also appreciated.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Phone calls, & in person meetings with several officials. MOC research director Venator has also been in contact with them. So far they wont budge.

I believe MOC members in the past have also informed them of these violations. I am a newer member so I can't give the history there. One thing is clear they are in no hurry to change any of the codes.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sasha601 's post gave me another idea (thanks sasha). I will type out a letter, make copies and take them to the council secretary and ask that they be distributed to all members of council, the mayor and corporate counsel. I will also hand deliver a copy to the Clerks office and ask that it be entered into the City record.

I will be attending another meeting with the mayor on May 11th attempting to give them yet another chance to correct this issue.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
Another excellent idea!
The only reason I have the all-nighter disclaimer there is because at the City of Warrens council meeting public comments weren't heard until, Midnight I think...it was ridiculous on a weeknight...

sasha601

imported post

Contacting City Attorney is critical. He is the one who should provide official Notice to City Council that Ordinances are unlawful. Until City Attorney officially declares to City Council that code is out of line with State Law, they will just play stupid and will not react. After some research, I found that John Martin is Taylor's City Attorney. Mr. Martin's contact and mailinginformation is as follows:

John Wm. Martin, Jr.

38505 Woodward Ave.

Suite 2000

Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304

jmartin@plunkettcooney.com

(248) 594-8249 phone

(248) 594-4040 fax

I would suggest that you at minimum do the following:

1. Draft a letter addressed to Mr. Martin explaining the situation.Point out to him that City can not ignore unlawful ordinances once the City was informed about violation.Ignoring will expose city to potential liability if anyone is arrested and/or gun confiscated under these Ordinances.

2. State in the letter that copies will be send to the Mayor, City Council and Police Chief. Police chief is critical. This puts Police Dept. on notice and will make it more difficult for them to shield against liability by pleading ignorance.

3. Make sure letters to City Attorney, Mayor, City Council and Police Chiefare sent through USPS Cerified Mail with Returned Receipt.

4. Once Returned Receipts came back, scan them and post on this forum. Also make copies and present with other things for City Clerk to enter into the city records. Note and record any obstructions you encounter from any of the city officials during this process.

5. Try to get it done prior to May 17 City Council meeting. Have all documents ready and present at the meeting. State in your speach that City is now is officially on notice regarding this issue.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

To: All members of Taylor City Council May. 6, 2010
Cc: Council Secretary, Ms. Susan Riddle, Corporate Counsel, Mr. Martin
Mayor Lamarand, City Clerk Mrs. Reilly
The purpose of this letter is to inform you once more, that the City of Taylor is in violation of the Michigan Constitution regarding the “Open Carrying” of side arms by law abiding citizens. As stated in previous communications the following ordinances are not valid as written:
[size=Sec. 20-60. Firearms, hunting, trapping.
No person shall in any park hunt, trap or pursue wildlife at any time. No person shall use, carry or possess firearms of any description, air rifles, spring guns, bows and arrows, slings or any other forms of weapons potentially inimicable to wild life and dangerous to human safety or any instrument that can be loaded with and fire blank cartridges or any kind of trapping device. Shooting into any park areas from beyond park boundaries is forbidden.
(Ord. No. 82-130, § 7(D)(1), 10-26-82)
Cross references: Weapons generally, § 19-226 et seq.]

[size=ARTICLE VI. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC SAFETY
Sec. 19-226. Confiscation of firearms and replica firearms.
(a)All weapons, guns, pistols, firearms, knives, dirks, razors, stilettos, or any other sharp edged or pointed instruments or weapons carried are hereby declared forfeited to the city.
(b)All replica and imitation firearms, as defined in section 19-239, carried or possessed by any person are hereby declared forfeited to the city.
(Ord. No. 75-51, § 6.8, 2-11-75; Ord. No. 08-428, 2-19-08)]

In theory a person legally in procession of a pistol could be illegally detained, charged with a crime and have their pistol taken away by the City for simply exercising their constitutional rights to protect themselves and others under State law. These illegal ordinances not only place an unjust burden on citizens, it leaves the City liable for litigation should a member of the police department attempt to enforce them. These are simple issues to correct either by changing the wording or simply deleting the non compliant portions of the ordinances.
Michigan Open Carry Inc. and its members attempt to work in a positive and cooperative manner whenever possible with local units of government. When these cooperative initiatives fail the group will attend city functions or facilities in mass, to educate the public on their rights and responsibilities under Michigan law and to draw attention to local ordinances that violate the law. It is my understanding that Taylor has received much negative publicity recently. I see no reason why this issue should have to devolve into more bad press for Taylor, if these concerns are addressed in an expeditious manner.
Sincerely,
XXXX XXXXXX

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Taking comments?

If so, and if this hasn't been finalized yet:

Replace "City of Taylor is in violation of the Michigan Constitution regarding "

With "City of Taylor is in violation MCL 123.1102 which reads, in pertinent part, "A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce and ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms... except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state."

Delete "(b)All replica and imitation firearms, as defined in section 19-239, carried or possessed by any person are hereby declared forfeited to the city.
(Ord. No. 75-51, § 6.8, 2-11-75; Ord. No. 08-428, 2-19-08)]" - Replicas and imitation firearms are not protected by state law.

Please strongly consider deleting or revising "It is my understanding that Taylor has received much negative publicity recently. I see no reason why this issue should have to devolve into more bad press for Taylor, if these concerns are addressed in an expeditious manner." - More flies with honey. It might be best to simply stick to facts, everything else is really just fluff. Fluff gets fluffed off.

Just my $0.02, you might get a nickel refund!