• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC help needed at upcoming Taylor City Council Meeting, 7:30pm on Tuesday May 18th

taxwhat

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
They have only been posting the meetings for a short time now...good timing on our part.

Study sessions are not recorded and the public is not allowed to speak at them.

DanM wrote:
sasha601 wrote:
I do not think Taylor records its City Council meetings.

Taylor records its city council meetings:

http://www.cityoftaylor.com/councilmeetings
Study session definition please . Is it like a agenda event ? please state players and title .

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes - the info is still good. The meeting actually starts a 7pm if your going to need time to setup I would shoot for 6:45pm. The OP states 7:30 because the first half hour is usually procedural stuff and I didn't want to waste peoples time with that.

It'll be great to see you there Mike.

- Jeff

mikestilly wrote:
I'm working heard to make it. Is the location still in the OP accurate @7:30? I will have video & camera.

DanM

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:

I'm not an expert on the MI laws governing meetings of public officials. Is the above legally permissible? With respect to recording, perhaps not video/audio, but some form of recording, e.g. minutes of such "study sessions"?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

They wiggle around this by saying the meetings are only for their "informational" purposes, this is why there's no recording on their part and no public input allowed.

DanM wrote:
Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:

I'm not an expert on the MI laws governing meetings of public officials. Is the above legally permissible? With respect to recording, perhaps not video/audio, but some form of recording, e.g. minutes of such "study sessions"?

taxwhat

imported post

DanM wrote:
Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:

If a study Sessions is a open and public meeting = open meeting act compliance = Must have Citizen time input .

taxwhat

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
They wiggle around this by saying the meetings are only for their "informational" purposes, this is why there's no recording on their part and no public input allowed.

DanM wrote:
Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-164-17337_18160-51245--,00.html

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think it should be getting clear to all, that in my town the law is a secondary factor to many of my elected officials. Their primary concerns are team politics above all.

Just my opinion based on years of trying to deal with them.:(

DanM

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
I'm working heard to make it. Is the location still in the OP accurate @7:30? I will have video & camera.

Those of you who wish to record video/audoare allowed to do so freely, without prior approval, and in any manner or from any position so long as it is notdisruptive.

Excerpt from MCL 15.263:

Sec. 3

(1) . . . The right of a person to attend a meeting of a public body includes the right to tape-record, to videotape, to broadcast live on radio, and to telecast live on television the proceedings of a public body at a public meeting. The exercise of this right shall not be dependent upon the prior approval of the public body. However, a public body may establish reasonable rules and regulations in order to minimize the possibility of disrupting the meeting.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(j5xev055cynvkmjfk2gv4w45))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-15-263

RichardCrainium

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
I think it should be getting clear to all, that in my town the law is a secondary factor to many of my elected officials. Their primary concerns are team politics above all.

Just my opinion based on years of trying to deal with them.:(

+1000 but i think tonight should take care of this one area of concern for us

firm but polite and respectful regardless of there attitude.

just my opinion.

see you tonight hope its a large turnout

DanM

imported post

RichardCrainium wrote:
i think tonight should take care of this one area of concern for us

firm but polite and respectful regardless of there attitude.

+1

I plan on showing up, listening to Scott speak for all of us on the point we are showing up for, standing up with everyone else to demonstrate support, and leaving when everyone else does.

All with a smile and cordiality throughout. :)

detroit_fan

imported post

sasha601 wrote:
I just came back from City of Rochester Hills City Council. Today they adopted a revised ordinance that removes prohibition of firearms possession in the City park. One more city in compliance with State Law! Good luck with City of Taylor. Hope you guys can video record this meeting and post it here. I do not think Taylor records its City Council meetings. Too bad I can not attend.
Great job! I watched the youtube video of you speaking to them and they did not seem svery happy about it, glad they got it done:celebrate

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

detroit_fan wrote:
sasha601 wrote:
I just came back from City of Rochester Hills City Council. Today they adopted a revised ordinance that removes prohibition of firearms possession in the City park. One more city in compliance with State Law! Good luck with City of Taylor. Hope you guys can video record this meeting and post it here. I do not think Taylor records its City Council meetings. Too bad I can not attend.
Great job! I watched the youtube video of you speaking to them and they did not seem svery happy about it, glad they got it done:celebrate
Link?

sasha601

imported post

dougwg wrote:
detroit_fan wrote:
sasha601 wrote:
Link?

Here it is. Just choose "May 17 Meeting" link. I spoke at the end, somewhere between 2:45 and 3:00 hours mark. Then , they approved revised ordinance 6:0

http://www.rochesterhills.org/city_services/media/video_library.asp

sasha601

imported post

It was just me that night. I had to attend and speak two more times in the past to get this going. It was also some e-mails and phone calls back in force. Yesterday was a Second Reading, the final stage of this whole thing. Took a couple of months to resolve.