• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where do you carry your backup gun?

redski30

imported post

I have a kel tec pf9 I'm going to use as my backup. I can't put it in my pocket b/c I wear dress slacks to work. I was thinking small of the back maby. I'm open to all suggestions Thanks.

redski30

imported post

I don't wear a coat unless it's cold out. I would prefer it to be concealed just so I'm not walking around with 2 pistols hanging out.

open4years

imported post

It depends on what I wear, but I usually carry it on my left ankle or a front pocket - .380 or .40. Although I can tell if someone is ankle carrying, the vast majority doesn't have a clue.

Sometimes I carry in a Thunderwear holster. It can be used with a tucked shirt, but it depends on what you are carrying and your body shape.

Dreamer

imported post

Where do I carry a BUG?

Pitt County, anytime I'm going to be there after dark...

Oh, you mean where on my person do I carry? Well, that's just my little secret, now isn't it. Sometimes my wife figures it out though...:shock:

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Ankle for me... I carry a Kahr MK9 in a Galco Ankle Glove and I'm in dress slacks at work, too. (Sometimes putting a second sock one under the holster, one over--to cover the muzzle end from poking out helps with concealment.) I find it easier/quicker to get to that gun while I'm strapped into the seat of the car, too.

brokenbarrel

imported post

I carry a glock 23 on one buddy,a glock 19 on the other and 357 snubbie on my wife the 3 extra sets of hands come in handy too,:D...no but realy it all depends on when where and what i feel like carrying...

Don Barnett

imported post

Let me play the Devil's Advocate.

I am not criticizing anyone for carrying a back up gun as that is your choice; but I don't carry one, nor do I carry speed loaders for my revolver. Here are my reasons:

First of all they are heavy, and I carry a relatively heavy gun to begin with: a S&W 686.

Secondly, I carry with a different tactical objective than say, a LEO. While a LEO may be required to enter into a nasty situation and stay there, I am going to "get the hell out of Dodge" when things start going South. Thus, I don't percieve a need to have extra ammo and back up weapons like a LEO. My weapon is there to get me out of a bad situation so I can "boogie".

Further, I get to pick my "beat" and unlike a LEO, am not required to enter areas where I may have to use my weapon.

I just wanted to add my $0.02 and add to the discussion.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rugerdon wrote:
I don't carry one, nor do I carry speed loaders for my revolver.
I carry with a different tactical objective than say, a LEO. Thus, I don't percieve a need to have extra ammo and back up weapons like a LEO.
I find myself preparing along these lines also. Over the years, my Primary and BUG have morphed into one item. In all probability in a possible defensive encounter either 1) thethreat will go down quickly 2) I will go down quickly or 3) the threat and I will be in different locations quickly and generally 4) I avoid harm's way to begin with.

For me, the need to carry extra ammo and a BUG (superior firepower)is outweighed by my legal requirement to conceal all of that gear and the inconvenience, effortand discomfort of doing so. I hope that I never havereason to regret my choice.

tcmech

imported post

I have to agree with Rugerdon and ccccook, I don't carry a backup gun. I don't mind if anyone else does, but I also carry a glock 36 because it is small, it's light, and I am lazy.

When I conceal carry in my dress slacks I tend to use a pocket holster and carry a taurus 85 ultralight.

open4years

imported post

I usually carry a BUG on my left ankle, in a pocket or in a Thunderwear holster, in that order. Instead of carrying two extra magazines on my belt, I have an ankle magazine holster that I carry on my right leg. I do it for two reasons: It balances out my ankles so it isn't as obvious that I'm carrying a gun on my left ankle. The second reason is to be a little less obvious.

I've noticed when I OC just a gun and a cell phone on my belt, rarely anyone notices. If I carry those things plus a two magazine carrier, many notice me and seem a bit nervous. I may switch to carrying the mags in a
Thundearwear holster as that would make them more accessible.

open4years

imported post

cabbitone wrote:
Glock 21c strong side, Glock 21sf on my left.
Both in Desantis Tuck-This® II

You said you wear dress slacks, do you wear a jacket? If so a shoulder holster might be the way to go. Ankle rigs are also nice for backup weapons.

And does it need to be concealed or open or doesn't matter?
If it must remain concealed I'm leery of small of the back because if you're bending over you might show/print.

Are you open carrying those two pistols on your belt? If so, do you get a lot of looks and comments?

open4years

imported post

Damiansar-15 wrote:
which one?

Were you addressing me? If so, are you asking which Thunderwear holster. If so, I have four of them. They are made for different size guns. There are two pouches, so depending on the holster you can choose to carry a gun in one pouch and magazines or another gun in the second pouch.

open4years

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Ankle for me... I carry a Kahr MK9 in a Galco Ankle Glove and I'm in dress slacks at work, too.  (Sometimes putting a second sock one under the holster, one over--to cover the muzzle end from poking out helps with concealment.)  I find it easier/quicker to get to that gun while I'm strapped into the seat of the car, too.

I do that too! I didn't read it anywhere but I was worried about the lower end of the black holter showing. Sometimes I forget and I sit with my ankle holster leg crossed over the other one!

open4years

imported post

rugerdon wrote:
Let me play the Devil's Advocate. 

I am not criticizing anyone for carrying a back up gun as that is your choice; but I don't carry one, nor do I carry speed loaders for my revolver.  Here are my reasons:

First of all they are heavy, and I carry a relatively heavy gun to begin with: a S&W 686. 

Secondly, I carry with a different tactical objective than say, a LEO.  While a LEO may be required to enter into a nasty situation and stay there, I am going to "get the hell out of Dodge" when things start going South.  Thus, I don't percieve a need to have extra ammo and back up weapons like a LEO.  My weapon is there to get me out of a bad
situation so I can "boogie". 

Further, I get to pick my "beat" and unlike a LEO, am not required to enter areas where I may have to use my weapon.

I just wanted to add my $0.02 and add to the discussion.

I respect your decision. But have you ever considered that your gun could jam or your one magazine could have a problem? What if a bullet struck your gun and put it out of commision? What if there is a struggle and either your gun was taken by the bad guy or knocked loose and you have to fend off the armed BG while trying to find your pistol in the dark?

Or a real one that I experienced myself. What if you are doing nothing wrong and you find yourself in a bad situation with THREE armed bad guys and you only have one gun, one magazine?

My gun that day was a Mustang Pony .380 with only the magazine in it and it was on my left ankle. I realized that I would be dead before I could even bend down to get it?

The next day I was OCing a ParaOrdinance P14-45 on my right side with two extra 14 round mags on my left side. The .380 was on my left ankle again. But, on my right ankle were 4 extra mags for the .380!

I still carry two guns and extra magazines, but with a lower profile! One incident like that can make you re-think everything.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Ankle and weak side pocket holster. Yes I carry 2 BUGs but I do work in what I consider a high risk environment.