• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Pistol Course EXPIRATION?

uskrusader

imported post

A friend of mine recently applied to a local town for a pistol permit with a NRA basic pistol course certificate that was over 1 year old.

The clerk rejected the application because the date was over a year old.

Is this town making up its own rules? Or is there a CT statute to back it up?

uskrusader

imported post

wow, excellent!!

Thanks Ed!!

The town in question is Norwich.....another student of mine just complained to me about a 10+ week wait in Norwich.

The clerk told him it would take 60days...then 8-10 weeks....

I told him to vent here on OC!

Cheers!

Just a Guy

imported post

Another example of someone (the instructor (NRA, no less)) speaking without regard for the facts. I'm not sure how many of us are NRA members (I am), but do we need to send a few emails tostraighten out the NRA? It's not like the NRA is a bunch of people who only dabble in firearms-related issues as a hobby. This isALL they do. If they have representatives disseminating incorrect information, they need to be made aware.

ESCH

imported post

This is not an NRA issue. The safety course completion certificates have no expiration date on them. Nowhere does the NRA tell anyone there is a one year expiration. This information comes from local police municipalities making their own rules and laws. The person who tried to hand in the one year old certificate was told by the police department it is no good. That person tells everyone he knows "after one year the certificate is no good." The instructor along with everyone else who hears this news just assumes it to be fact because "the police said so." That is how this stuff starts.

Now for the fact the instructor is now passing along that information as fact, cannot be excused. As an instructor or any teacher in any situation, you should only be teaching verified facts, not heresay. It is your duty to become as educated as possible about your area and research questions.

As far as the NRA training instructors? They teach them basic safety. Actually they pretty much teach them the basic course the same as any one of you might have taken it.There is no State specific instruction given. There is no concealled or open carry instruction given. No law or statute info given. It is basically "don't kill yourself or anyone around you accidentally" training. That's it.

There are two thoughts on this. One is keep the instruction as quick and simple as nessesary because we shouldn't need to pay for and attend a class to exercise a right. Alot of people feel this way.

Second thought is,the instruction should be as thorough as possible going into every aspect of firearm ownership. Laws, federal and local, ordinances, hunting laws, concealled carry and open carry training, how to transport interstate, marksmanship, on and on. Believe me, If the state could they would impliment as much "training" as possible to deter people from going through the training. They would require continuing education classes all with fees.

D

Rich B

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
The Board of Firearms Permit Examiners sent an email to me today informing me that the have posted on their website homepage that there is NO expiration on NRA Training Certificates.

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/site/default.asp 

A more direct link to the relevant page:
http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1253&Q=459846&PM=1

Thank you Ed. I have been discussing this for quite some time with someone I know who wants a permit. This should ease his mind.

Hawkmoon

imported post

Somebody better tell the NRA that there's no expiration date, because every instructor I have ever discussed this with says they are not valid after one year.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

The only thing issued by the NRA that has an expiration date is the instructor's certification as an instructor. An NRA Pistol course has no expiration date in CT. The CT Board of Firearms Permit Examiners states on their website:

[font="Verdana,Arial,Geneva"]"There is no expiration date on NRA training certificates. CGS 29-28 states only that the applicant must successfully complete an approved course of training. The NRA site discusses the only certifications with expirations are for instructors."[/font]

mrjam2jab

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
The Board of Firearms Permit Examiners sent an email to me today informing me that the haveposted on their website homepage that there is NO expiration on NRA Training Certificates.

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/site/default.asp

I'm guessing if they went through the effort of putting that up there that there must be several incidences of the topic coming up.

FWIW: CT not being one of them...but there are some states that require the training have been taken within "x" months of applying. Maybe that's where the expiration idea came from?