• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia LEO on open carry

Gundude

imported post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul79
Just wanted to get thoughts from you that work in other Open Carry States. The Oklahoma Legislature just passed Open Carry and its sitting on Gov. Henry's desk waiting to be signed.

Any of you guys or gals had problems with this in your jurisdiction?

Quote:

As long as the open carry types don't try to play constitutional lawyer on the sidewalk with cops it shouldn't be an issue

Quote:

And it might also be said as long as the LEO observes the constitution, likewise.

Been the law in Va. since I was a little boy when we moved here from Texas, that was 1959. I hired on with the state in 1978, retired this January. 31+ years, it never was a problem ...

... but then the thought of honest citizens exersizing a basic right never did cause me great concern.

Where problems arose was concealed carrying with no license or when drunk or a convicted felon, etc. Those are crimes.

Just because some little lady got nervous and peed at the sight of a gun in a holster ... is scarcely "probable cause" or "reasonable suspicion" that a law has been violated, any more than "Joe Blow" driving down the street who maybe or may not be suspended, but of which "maybe" also falls short of PC or RS.

The few problems I'm aware of were as often the result of just such attempts to "do something" even if it was wrong to do so.

Nick Justice

imported post

Tell it to Saldana and her minions...

"Look at those law-abiding citizensenjoying their rights! I must stop them!!"