• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Recent Correspondence with DPS

Mad Max

imported post

May 4th 2010
Subject: Clarification Regarding Guidelines for 2nd Amendment Rally of April, 10 2010

Commissioner Danaher (CT Department of Public Safety),

Were the guidelines set forth in the aforementioned document (attached) specific and exclusive to the 2nd Amendment Rally that took place at the State Capitol?
Or, are they standing guidelines for State Troopers to utilize concerning properly permitted individuals carrying firearms in plain view?

To further clarify, are properly permitted individuals who carry a handgun in plain view, unless otherwise prohibited by State Statute, within their rights to do so, and therefore not subject to arrest?

Your timely clarification will serve to educate and ensure the safety of the citizens, as well as the brave Troopers of Connecticut.

Thank You for your time sir.
Respectfully,
Max
On May 6, 2010, at 10:47 AM, Hatfield, Thomas wrote:

Sir,

Thank you for your May 4, 2010 email asking: “[t]o further clarify, are properly permitted individuals who carry a handgun in plain view, unless otherwise prohibited by State Statute, within their rights to do so, and therefore not subject to arrest?”

Under some circumstances, an individual who possesses a valid CT pistol permit may be subject to arrest for carrying his or her pistol exposed.

Please be aware that our office does not issue legal advice to the public and this communication should not be construed as legal advice. To the extent that your May 4, 2010 email asks for legal advice, we strongly suggest that you consult with an appropriate attorney regarding specific factual scenarios related to carrying a handgun in Connecticut.

Sincerely,

Tpr. Hatfield

Tpr. Thomas Hatfield Esq.
Connecticut Department of Public Safety
Legal Affairs
(860) 685-8150 (Telephone)
(860) 685-8354 (Facsimile)

Trooper Hatfield,
Thank you for your timely response, and more so for your service to the citizens of Connecticut.
I am fully aware that you are not issuing legal advice.
That being said, if you would be so kind, please elaborate.
What statute requires that an individual who possesses a valid CT pistol permit must keep his or her pistol concealed, thus creating the circumstances under which he or she may be subject to arrest for carrying openly?

Respectfully,

Max

On May 6, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Hatfield, Thomas wrote:

Sir,

C.G.S. §29-28 governs the issuance of handgun permits in Connecticut. The variables of how, where, and when handguns can be possessed each represent a constellation of circumstances too numerous to be reasonably enumerated, and we cannot elaborate on our previous answer without providing legal advice as to a factually deficient hypothetical situation.

Again, we strongly recommend that you contact an appropriate attorney for the purpose of discussing particular circumstances of carrying a handgun in Connecticut.

Sincerely,

Tpr. Hatfield

Trooper Hatfield,

With all due respect, I must infer from your linguistic do-si-do that you (and by proxy the DPS) are unwilling to weigh-in on this legal gray area.
I, in no way fault you personally, sir. You continue to have my full respect.
However, by taking the position of not taking a position, the DPS negligently perpetuates a potentially tragic air of confusion amongst LEOs and citizens, and leaves open the high likelihood of unequal application of the law.
Once again, thank you for your time, sir.

With deep respect,
Max

Edward Peruta

imported post

The double standard of what is published to a Police Agency and all State Police officers and members of the public is remarkable.

Remember, the Second Amendment March memo was directed to ALL state police that may respond to the event.

State police do not have any authority to issue directives to local officers.

I can tell everyone that in speaking with a local Chief of Police today, the Goldberg article in the Courant and the Second Amendment March memo were discussed. I have been informed that there was much discussion at a recent meeting of the Chiefs.

ESCH

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
The double standard of what is published to a Police Agency and all State Police officers and members of the public is remarkable.

Remember, the Second Amendment March memo was directed to ALL state police that may respond to the event.

State police do not have any authority to issue directives to local officers.

I can tell everyone that in speaking with a local Chief of Police today, the Goldberg article in the Courant and the Second Amendment March memo were discussed. I have been informed that there was much discussion at a recent meeting of the Chiefs.
Much discussion? Would that be more toward the leave people alone who exercise their rights, or more toward "let them try it in my town so I can break their balls."