• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at 1stbank

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I didn't post this when it happened a few weeks back because the drama with CRPD was much more interesting, but that same day before I was followed around by the police, I went in to 1stbank on Plum Creek & Wilcox.

I went in to make a deposit. As I was leaving one of the employees, who sounded like some kind of manager, said that her brother was a cop in Parker and she knew that OC was legal, but that it would make everyone feel more "comfortable" if I didn't do it. She said "I know it's not legal to conceal if you're in a bank but we'd prefer if you just left it in the car". I tried correcting her on that, but she wasn't listening. I try not to argue with employees when I'm the one wearing the gun that they have issues with, so I left.

When I got home I called the manager of the bank. I forgot her name, but she was equally confused on the law although she knew OC was legal. I asked if OC or CC was against their policy, and she stated "No, it's not against our policy, but we will ask you not to do it. We also ask people wearing sunglasses or hats or motorcycle helmets to remove them. I just makes everyone more comfortable." I continued to go round and round with her about what their official "policy" was vs. what would make everyone "comfortable". As nice as she was, it was really frustrating because they would not give me a straight answer. I felt like the guy in their commercial talking to the robotic teller lady. I finally gave up with her.

Later on I called 1stbank's Corporate office in Denver. I had almost the exact same conversation with this representative, although at least she seemed to understand the law. Essentially their position is that while it's not against their policy to OC, they will ask me to remove my firearm or leave or otherwise do what ever needs to be done to make everyone feel "comfortable", but it's not against their policy, but that it's their policy that everyone remove things that might make anyone uncomfortable, but that firearms are still not against their policy. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I guess they won. I gave up. I ran out of different ways to ask the question and elicit an intelligible answer.

Needless to say I had been in there before without being hassled, and apparently some of you have too.

Thoughts anyone?

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

Move all your accounts to a different bank - immediately.

Then let those you spoke with at 1st bank know that you did so because "you just weren't comfortable patronizing them further".

That kind of crap really frosts my shorts - as if I have to change something I'm doing lawfully because you're "not comfortable" .... well screw that!! your comfort is not my responsibility, cupcake!

:cuss:

Ctclassic

imported post

I had a very similar experience here in CT at my local bank. Manager said they realize the law, but would rather me not OC because it would make her tellers "uncomfortable".:banghead: Go figure. ( I was not carrying when I asked)

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think that they just don't want me to OC in there, but they refuse to adopt an official policy that prohibits it because they don't want any potential liability. I was never asked to leave and I was never informed that they prohibit OC, so no, I wouldn't be trespassing.

Anyone else a 1stbank customer here?

Ctclassic

imported post

I guess it all boils down to, if there isn't a sign at the door, go for it...if they have a problem with it, take your business elsewhere ( no different than any other retail establishment). AND don't fall for the " it's a goverment building because our/your money is federally insured CRAP.They are no more a goverment building than that of a GM or Chrysler factory, or aGoldman-Sachs building.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have had similar conversations with managers in my area. Either policy is unknown, unformulated, or adherent to state law, yet they also say they will ask OCers to leave if other customers or employees are 'uncomfortable.'
It is exactly what it sounds like: a cop-out, a loophole, a statement made by someone talking out of both sides of their mouth.

CRCowboy

imported post

Welcome to Corporate America................ I as a corporate munchkin / employee (I'm not) I will tell you anything, and I do mean anything. That will appease, placate or confuse, those around me, so I do not have to take a stand on anything and at the same time CMA.

ooghost1oo

imported post

I OC'ed at First Bank the same day as the I-Hop Colo Sprgs OC Breakfast. No results.

I actually left Wells Fargo and opened an account at First Bank BECAUSE they're a good, local bank, and because they didn't (and refuse to) participate in the bail-outs.

They're a good bank. You were just dealing with wishy-washy wimps. I'll carry there unless they TELL me to leave.

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

I bank at 1stBank but so far I've never had the guts to OC there so I'll be watching with interest to see how others' experiences go.

I've been with my bank for years and it used to be that certain tellers and I would recognize each other...but at the branch I've been going to now for about 9 months I don't remember seeing any one person more than once. That's one reason I've never OC'd there, no familiarity.

Beyond any OC issues I think they are a great bank, I've had zero problems with them...and issues of potential debit card fraud as well as fraudulent activity on my account have all been dealt with quickly and completely. I'm not likely to change banks regardless of their OC "policy" directed to me or anyone else.

oscar615

imported post

So they are worried about everyones but your comfort. It seems that a bank would be one of the most important place to OC. Criminals do it there quite often. I would want to protect myself AND the bank employees. I would change banks since it would make me feel very uncomfortable knowing that any second a criminal might walk in and commit a crime. Tell them you are changing because you feel uncomfortable knowing you could get shot by patronizing their bank.

Kingfish

imported post

oscar615 wrote:
So they are worried about everyones but your comfort. It seems that a bank would be one of the most important place to OC. Criminals do it there quite often. I would want to protect myself AND the bank employees. I would change banks since it would make me feel very uncomfortable knowing that any second a criminal might walk in and commit a crime. Tell them you are changing because you feel uncomfortable knowing you could get shot by patronizing their bank.
Welcome to the forum Oscar.

I would encourage you to list your location in your profile...Great to know where we are located for answering questions.

It is a great little (getting bigger all the time) community here.