• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammuniton

CrimDoc

imported post

Wow! That's quite a link ... thanks!

Putting more JHP ammo through my new Taurus PT1911 is something I'd very much like to do.

So far I've put about 350 rounds for various FMJ ball ammo, 50 rounds of FMJ cone ammo, and 30 or so rounds of JHP through it ... no failures of any kind ... which I'm thrilled about. However, since I have more faith in 100% (/350) than 100% (/30) I still keep it loaded with "ball" when carrying it.

If I can cycle 100 or 200 JHPs through it, and not experience a failure, I'll likely switch.

autosurgeon wrote:
Thats why I buy from here http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/cName/45-acp-hollow-point-ammo

That is an example of the kind of top notch JHP you can buy... and in 50 rd boxes for the same or lower price than the 20rd boxes in your fav gun shop..

autosurgeon

imported post

Keep an eye on that site... my brother got a bunch of Federal expanding full metal jacket... the best of both worlds! And in .45 too!

It comes and goes... on there so you should be able to get some if you want it.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Icarry the Winchester PDX1 165 grain bonded .40 S&W. As my primary rounds. Typically 2, 12rd mags, 1 in the hole, and I carry a 9 round mag full metal jackets. Situations change, so you should give yourself some choices.

I havent had any feeding problems with these rounds.

I really wish I could shoot more, but the facts are that bullets cost money that I dont have. I love to shoot, I would every day if I could.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
Well it would figure that FMJ's would penetrate more.....no?.....in the cooler months people (yes, criminals are people :p ;) ) would be wearing more/thicker clothing....or would a hollowpoint penetrate just as well?.....
well that makes sense
If they are wearing say around 50 layers of denim... or a brick wall

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Ive read things here and there and even spoken to an officer who said that even some .40 caliber rounds have been found imbedded in a suspects clothing.
I suspect the officer was talking about the unspent rounds found in the dirtbag's shirt pocket left-over froma shootout thenight before in a7-11 parking lot.

autosurgeon

imported post

Beerme wrote:
Well it would figure that FMJ's would penetrate more.....no?.....in the cooler months people (yes, criminals are people :p ;) ) would be wearing more/thicker clothing....or would a hollowpoint penetrate just as well?.....
well that makes sense
Beerme you made me laugh! Thank you :celebrate

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
Ive read things here and there and even spoken to an officer who said that even some .40 caliber rounds have been found imbedded in a suspects clothing.
I suspect the officer was talking about the unspent rounds found in the dirtbag's shirt pocket left-over froma shootout thenight before in a7-11 parking lot.
No, he was bi+ch!ng about his departments choice of federal ammo, and that some the spent rounds were found in the clothing of some suspects as they were stripped before surgury.

Michigander

imported post

CrimDoc wrote:
My concern is for the "typical OCer or CPL" who will shoot hundreds of rounds of Blazer Brass on Winchester White Box FMJ at the range when practicing (because it's cheap)....
There are certainly many here who practice that much and more. There are some very good competition shooters here. But aside from that minority, I often wonder exactly how many here actually put forth even as much practice as cops are required to, which I believe is most often 2 range visits per year.

I started a thread on MOC's forum asking about modern technique vs Applegate point shooting and how people practice, and thus far have 2 responses out of 80 views. Things like that don't give me a lot of faith in the civilian and not police gun carrying community at large. :uhoh:

Beerme

Banned
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Beerme wrote:
well that makes sense
Beerme you made me laugh! Thank you :celebrate
you are quite welcome haha

B

Bikenut

imported post

Ammo selection... like caliber selection... is way far down the list of things that will work best to enhance self defense survivability.... because... when the crap hits the fan...

If you don't have the will to viciously fight for your life all the way to the end of the fight and...

If you don't have some kind of training (whether by self or paid for) to be able to hit the intended target even while on the move and...

If you don't understand, and expect, that things will not be the way you think they will while practicing and...

If you don't practice thinking while on the move under stress to be able to deal with how the situation really and actually is happening, instead of how you practiced then.......

no bullet in any configuration or size will save your ass.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Ammo selection... like caliber selection... is way far down the list of things that will work best to enhance self defense survivability.... because... when the crap hits the fan...

If you don't have the will to viciously fight for your life all the way to the end of the fight and...

If you don't have some kind of training (whether by self or paid for) to be able to hit the intended target even while on the move and...

If you don't understand, and expect, that things will not be the way you think they will while practicing and...

If you don't practice thinking while on the move under stress to be able to deal with how the situation really and actually is happening, instead of how you practiced then.......

no bullet in any configuration or size will save your ass.
but on the list of COMMON SENSE
it is near the top
You want to be able to safely drop a target with as little over penetration as possible and want to be able to keep as many rounds on target as possible.

a fmj in most configurations will keep on trucking

B

Bikenut

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
I think the most important thing above all is that you can count on your gun to reliably feed and fire whatever ammunition and whatever caliber you choose.
Good point Stainless...

I'll add this...

If a gun doesn't reliably feed and fire JHP (try all brands first).... then perhaps it is time to get a different gun.;)

Wglide90

imported post

In my S&W M&P fullsize and comapct Ipractice with WWB FMJs and indoors I use WinCLEAN BEBs. I always run some of the rounds I carry for SD PDX1s. Icertainly can't fire as many of those due to cost about $1 a round, the practice rounds are about $.34-.38.

I have no jams or misfires of anykind in either pistols with any ammo. So just because I shoot fewer SD rounds than range rounds doesn't make me feel I cannot trust them the same. Fact s I do trust them the same.

It's about probabilities not possiblities. It's aways possible of a failure. But since I shoot the SD rounds each time, given fewer qnty, with ZERO failures, the probability is still very low of failures. The same frequency same results, that's what counts.

Hence I feelconfident with SD rounds that I have not fired as many as range rounds.

autosurgeon

imported post

One of the things I do is hand-load practice rounds that have the same profile as my SD rounds.. they are also the same weight. I use the same powder charge and everything.

Some guys I know buy the same projectiles they carry and hand load them as well for practice.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Crimdoc, most people do fire their SD rounds because most people cycle out the old ones for new ones after a few months. Those SD rounds tend to be noticably more accurate than the target rounds, and as long as the bullet weight is the same, the recoil is very similar.