• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Followup Story On Rickey Stokes News on Dothan Incident

eye95

imported post

Sorry, not good enough, IMO. He is still basically saying (without really saying) that OC is illegal. He needs to check out the AL SC ruling that says that OC cannot be outlawed.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Since it wasn't a Houston County permit, and since the Houston County Sheriff seems to be backpedaling, maybe we should re-focus our efforts. I am not 100% sure which county issued his permit, but it couldn't hurt to contact both.

The most current information I could find, someone correct me if I am wrong:

[align=center] Coffee County[/align][align=Center]Sheriff Dave Sutton (R)
4 County Complex, New Brockton AL 36351
Phone: (334) 894-5535Fax: (334) 894-6472[/align][align=center]Dale County[/align][align=Center]Sheriff Wally Olson (R)
Post Office Box 279, Ozark AL 36361
Phone: (334) 774-2335Fax: (334) 774-2909[/align]
One of these offices, I think Coffee County, instructed Dothan PD to confiscate the permit of the man at the Golden Corral.

Edited for: formatting

Kirbinator

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
Why do I get the feeling that Sheriff Hughes, and a lot of other anti-open carry LEOs, is hung up on that one particular part of the law? Are they not reading the rest of the law, to include the Supreme Court decisions that form the case law part of the law?:banghead:

At least we know he is hearing us, evenifwe cannot get him toacknowledge the remainder of the law and not just the part he selectively reads.
Because he's forming an independent opinion of what the law permits, based on his knowledge of the subject. However, he's out of his depth, and not qualified to make that opinion. What he should do is get the Tri-fold, look at the cases cited, and talk it over with the DA. A LEO is only responsible for determining if a crime has been commited, is being committed, or about to be committed. Based on the evidence before them, they are required to observe and document to build a case for the DA.

Unfortunately, this almost sounds like an election-year comment; The LEO isn't allowed to interpret the law other than as a basis for "has a crime been committed." It is a judge who interprets the law and renders a decision. And the DA and your attorney argue it out.

The root cause of the LEO's misbehavior is that he is looking at it from a RESTRICTIVE angle. He doesn't see anything that PERMITS the action. What he's not realizing is that our body of law is such that ANYTHING which is NOT UNLAWFUL is LAWFUL.

As a business operator, the public is INVITED to enter an establishment and conduct business with the owner. Most places have large signs suggesting this: "Come on in and grab a cup of bean juice!" However, the business owner is allowed to ask you to leave for ANY reason that he wants.

It makes sense therefore, that I may open-carry from my car, to public spaces around any establishment. Through advertisement, the business owner has invited me in. If the business owner does not care for me to be carrying on his property, he has the right to ask me to leave. If I do not leave, he may call the police, who will ask me to do the same. If I do not leave at that point, they have grounds to charge me with the crime of Trespassing.

eye95

imported post

Vondelta wrote:
Dianosis wrote:
He as posted his phone number. Has anyone called him to discuss this matter? With Eye95 having the experience he has had, I believe that he could discuss this matter with the sheriff in an intelligent and dignified manner. How about it Eye?
I spoke with a member of his department. I don't remember who. I also spoke with a captain in the Dothan PD.

I suspect a few of our newer "posters" are LEOs. They are not exactly being forthcoming about themselves and they are presenting the tell-tale "I am all for the 2A, BUT..." stance. So, I think we are talking to them on this board.

Vondelta

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Vondelta wrote:
Dianosis wrote:
He as posted his phone number. Has anyone called him to discuss this matter? With Eye95 having the experience he has had, I believe that he could discuss this matter with the sheriff in an intelligent and dignified manner. How about it Eye?
I spoke with a member of his department. I don't remember who. I also spoke with a captain in the Dothan PD.

I suspect a few of our newer "posters" are LEOs. They are not exactly being forthcoming about themselves and they are presenting the tell-tale "I am all for the 2A, BUT..." stance. So, I think we are talking to them on this board.
What did the member of his department and the Dothan PD Captain say?

bamachem

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Vondelta wrote:
Dianosis wrote:

Not me. I followed a link from a forum at http://www.aldeer.com

My brother is a LEO, but is so pro-2nd he makes most of you look like Democrats.

eye95

imported post

bamachem,

You would be a lot less suspect if you followed convention here and posted your city and State in your profile and found some common ground somewhere with some of our regulars. Otherwise, you will have a well-i'll-go-there-and-just-show-them air about your account.

Are you pro-2A? Do you believe in the Right to Self-Defense, which includes the Right to OC?

bamachem

imported post

eye95 wrote:
bamachem,

You would be a lot less suspect if you followed convention here and posted your city and State in your profile and found some common ground somewhere with some of our regulars. Otherwise, you will have a well-i'll-go-there-and-just-show-them air about your account.

Are you pro-2A? Do you believe in the Right to Self-Defense, which includes the Right to OC?
I'm editing my profile now. I live in Baldwin County - gotta love the beach. I work in Mobile, and I carry EVERY day. H&K P2000sk in 357SIG... NRA life member on the "payment plan" (LOL), and I am 100% Pro 2nd Ammendment with the understanding that the intent was protection of rights for individuals, not the states, and I am 100% pro-OC. I tend to not conceal except when I walk in and out of my office building so I don't draw too much attention from the powers that be (and sign my paychecks).

eye95

imported post

bamachem wrote:
eye95 wrote:
bamachem,

I'm editing my profile now. I live in Baldwin County - gotta love the beach. I work in Mobile, and I carry EVERY day. H&K P2000sk in 357SIG... NRA life member on the "payment plan" (LOL), and I am 100% Pro 2nd Ammendment with the understanding that the intent was protection of rights for individuals, not the states, and I am 100% pro-OC. I tend to not conceal except when I walk in and out of my office building so I don't draw too much attention from the powers that be (and sign my paychecks).
Thanks. Welcome.

Neither of my employers allow carry while at work. I understand their positions, so I choose to work for them anyway.

bamachem

imported post

Let me clarify, I guess.

I typically carry concealed, except when in my vehicle. In the car or truck, it's in the open when I can get to it if needed. When on my person, I tend to cover w/a shirt, but I don't go to great lengths to hide it.

Make sense?

cowboy67

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Just one more example of why this site needs ONE good OC attorney.
Obviously, NO ONE is listening.

Just for laughs...

If Dianosis gets put in the slammer he could always get his law degree for free. Then maybe we would get that OC attorney finally!:what:

I had a friend in HS who killed his father went to prison, just got out about a year ago with a law degree. Of course, he is now back in prison for parole violations.

Sorry Dianosis! I just had to do it. I hope you see my humor!:celebrate