• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HI

Josh885

imported post

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking here for awhile and decide I should start posting. I've been open carrying around my house/yard but the experiences others has posted has got me thinking seriously about trying to carry in more places. Anyway I just thought I should introduce my self.

Josh

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Hi ya back, Josh, and welcome.

To give you some idea of how things are going here, apropos open carrying at home, think about this about me the member with longest tenure.

Shotgun wrote:
That's a little unfair because it assumes Doug is an OCer. I don't remember him ever stating that he has OCed anywhere in Wisconsin outside of Washington Island. I could be wrong, god knows I certainly haven't read all of his posts.

I'm not that sure I would consider the carrying of a hand gun in a very rural township, that has a population density of less than 1/3 of the average of Wisconsin, to be "open carry" in a very meaningful way. It's never been an issue in such places. I did it regularly in rural Wisconsin over 35 years ago. I'm sure many others have done it much earlier than that.

Maybe Doug will enlighten us as to whether he has OCed elsewhere, such as on the streets of an incorporated village or city. Sturgeon Bay for example?

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Josh885 wrote:
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking here for awhile and decide I should start posting. I've been open carrying around my house/yard but  the experiences others has posted has got me thinking seriously about trying to carry in more places.  Anyway I just thought I should introduce my self.

Josh

Josh, welcome.

Hundreds, perhaps thousands of people open-carry in Wisconsin on a daily basis. Last year around this time, there were many more posts about all the places people carry and its uneventful as expected, but now, its just normal every-day thing, so we don't post much about the typical positive experiences. Its really only "noteworthy" when someone has the rare "non-positive" experience.

So do be confident that your first public OC experience may be slightly nerve-wracking for you, its just going to be a normal every-day thing that you'll soon not even think twice about.

When I first started OC'ing, I always used a shopping cart. Made me feel domestic, non-threatening, and gave my hands something to do.

Of course after a week or two, I realized I didn't need the security blanket anymore and I don't do anything different than any other trip to the store, to walk the dog, to the bank, to the doctors office etc.

While I certainly wouldn't delay your exercising of your right to carry until a public event, some people have found that OC'ing at one of the many group events put on by people all over the state provides a comforting environment for you to OC for your first time in public.

There are a couple picnic's coming up on your side of the state. One in LaCrosse May 16th and a couple others in the weeks following.

Make sure to post up when you bust your OCC.

Nik Clark
Chairman - Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

lance galloway

imported post

Hey Josh I live in Eau Claire and I OC every day every place I can.

A good place to start is Walmart I go their all the time and never have a problem.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

Josh885 wrote:
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking here for awhile and decide I should start posting. I've been open carrying around my house/yard but the experiences others has posted has got me thinking seriously about trying to carry in more places. Anyway I just thought I should introduce my self.

Josh
Hi Josh,
Welcome to the forum! You have a natural right to defend yourself and in Wisconsin that means open carry. We'll try to help you with any questions you may have. Since you have been lurking for a while, you probably already have a feel for who is going to be helpful to you and who is not.

Hope to meet you face to face at one of the many OC activities in the state! :D

Dave

AaronS

imported post

Josh885 wrote:
Hi everyone!

Josh

Hi Josh,

Welcome to the forum. If you have any questions at all about the laws in Wisconsin (as far as open carry goes), you came to the right place. As I am sure you have seen, you will get some BS also, but I say that we are a good group, and I trust most of our members. A good picnic in Green Bay, and La Crosse are coming up, as well as a few highway clean-ups. Please feel free to post anything you want.

johnny amish

imported post

Josh885 wrote:
Hi everyone!

Josh
Hi Josh, it's great that you are willing to stand up for your rights. It is something that you should be very proud of. After a short time of adjustment leaving your sidearm at home will feel like forgetting your cell phone. One day it is just a part of you. Welcome to the cool crowd.

hardballer

imported post

Glad you are part of our group now. We are strong because we are together and of one mind on the issue of the 2A and open carry.

You are among friends.

Carry on. Hardballer out.

goforlow

imported post

Welcome Josh,

Did I meet you at a Tea Party in April?

We are having an Open Carry picnic at Seymour town park on June 13th. You can get more info on the stickied post at the top of the Wisconsin section.

We hope to see you there. If you are willing to help us, drop me a PM and we can chat.

Tony
Carry Always!

Josh885

imported post

Thanks for all the encouragement and warm welcomes!

I am trying to work out a way to attend the LaCrosse WCI picnic but I don't drive so I am working on finding transportation. Someone is going to contact me about getting a ride so we'll see.