Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: Open Carry Fundraiser & Awarness Event

  1. #1
    Regular Member greengum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    330

    Post imported post

    I brought this up at the BBQ last week and everyone seemed to agree that this would be a good idea. The open carry "movement" here in Nevada is in a pretty good spot in relation to many States out there. With the past efforts of Tim, Dave, and others we can all pretty much solo OC just about everywhere. The next step I believe is to inform the communities in which we live. Basically get the word out and hopefully our numbers will grow or at the very least we can inform as many people as we can.

    The general idea I had was to have a simple fundraiser and donate the money to a good cause. We could set up a little table with our fliers and sell some homemade cookies or baked goods at a local grocery, then give all the money to a cause.

    Since this is a public relations campaign for the most part I think it would be a good idea to donate to Henderson Police or to Metro. There are many reason why I think they would be a good idea. First is since the issues with Tim they have really left us alone. I know what your thinking, that they should have left us alone to begin with but they did change. Second I think it would be good to have the general public see us as donating to the police. It gives the impression that the police support us and adds a little more legitimacy. Third it lets the police know that we are not against them and in fact appreciate the good things they do. There are more reasons but I will stop there. I have spoken the a police captain at Henderson and he supports the general idea.

    I will be speaking to the manager at my local Smith's store which I frequent everyday and have open carried each time. I will run the idea past her to set up a little table. If I get this rolling I would like all of us to get some shirts made up. I know there is a thread about it and it looks great. Don has been working on a tri-fold flier which is something I would like to have displayed and ready to hand out. Of course I would like to have as many people show up open carrying! I would like to do this on a Saturday since it seems like a lot of people go to church.

    I will be posting more details as they come up. I would also like everyone's thoughts and opinions. Nothing is set in stone but I feel that doing something like this will get the word out a lot better then an open carry strip meet up.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Remmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    296

    Post imported post

    I am very in for this, also we are in the process of getting a store front set up for the t-shirts that will be ready soon. Also for the flyers I posted in the T-shirt topic a smaller version of the logo for a letter head which if put on a flyer to hand out at this event would make it look very nice.

    I am in full support for donating the proceeds to the police departments, more so as we were talking to the families that have been hurt on the job or have suffered a loss. After all they live in our community along with us.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henderson, ,
    Posts
    232

    Post imported post

    greengum wrote:
    I brought this up at the BBQ last week and everyone seemed to agree that this would be a good idea. The open carry "movement" here in Nevada is in a pretty good spot in relation to many States out there. With the past efforts of Tim, Dave, and others we can all pretty much solo OC just about everywhere. The next step I believe is to inform the communities in which we live. Basically get the word out and hopefully our numbers will grow or at the very least we can inform as many people as we can.

    The general idea I had was to have a simple fundraiser and donate the money to a good cause. We could set up a little table with our fliers and sell some homemade cookies or baked goods at a local grocery, then give all the money to a cause.

    Since this is a public relations campaign for the most part I think it would be a good idea to donate to Henderson Police or to Metro. There are many reason why I think they would be a good idea. First is since the issues with Tim they have really left us alone. I know what your thinking, that they should have left us alone to begin with but they did change. Second I think it would be good to have the general public see us as donating to the police. It gives the impression that the police support us and adds a little more legitimacy. Third it lets the police know that we are not against them and in fact appreciate the good things they do. There are more reasons but I will stop there. I have spoken the a police captain at Henderson and he supports the general idea.

    I will be speaking to the manager at my local Smith's store which I frequent everyday and have open carried each time. I will run the idea past her to set up a little table. If I get this rolling I would like all of us to get some shirts made up. I know there is a thread about it and it looks great. Don has been working on a tri-fold flier which is something I would like to have displayed and ready to hand out. Of course I would like to have as many people show up open carrying! I would like to do this on a Saturday since it seems like a lot of people go to church.

    I will be posting more details as they come up. I would also like everyone's thoughts and opinions. Nothing is set in stone but I feel that doing something like this will get the word out a lot better then an open carry strip meet up.
    We could get some extra t shirts and sell them with the cookies....I will buy and donate a few when we find out how much they cost....
    also i have that pamphlet in a tri folded Word document, i was going to just get a few copies made of it fr my own use , but i think it might be nice enough to pass out....

  4. #4
    Regular Member greengum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    330

    Post imported post

    The captain said we could delegate where the money goes, so to the family of injured or killed cops is an option. Also I know I misspelled awareness in the title and I dunno how to fix it

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henderson, ,
    Posts
    232

    Post imported post

    greengum wrote:
    The captain said we could delegate where the money goes, so to the family of injured or killed cops is an option. Also I know I misspelled awareness in the title and I dunno how to fix it
    jpierce has o fix it i think.....:what:

  6. #6
    Regular Member Remmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    296

    Post imported post

    greengum wrote:
    The captain said we could delegate where the money goes, so to the family of injured or killed cops is an option. Also I know I misspelled awareness in the title and I dunno how to fix it
    options are always good, no matter what we choose it will be for a good cause and some serious good PR for us and Open Carry

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, ,
    Posts
    217

    Post imported post

    I was thinking after the event that a Fallen Soldier fun raiser would be nice. As a matter of fact I just got one of the recruiters cards and maybe I could get some soldiers out there to help. But in the end a good deed is a good deed, I just want it going to whom deserve it.

    GoDSpeeD

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    Please contact me though my website. I'm interested in getting involved.

    702Shooter.com

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henderson, ,
    Posts
    232

    Post imported post

    702Shooter wrote:
    Please contact me though my website. I'm interested in getting involved.

    702Shooter.com
    well jump on in here and get involved....

    great bunch of guys and gals...good ideas.....


  10. #10
    Regular Member greengum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    330

    Post imported post

    702Shooter wrote:
    Please contact me though my website. I'm interested in getting involved.

    702Shooter.com
    We keep pretty much everything in the open and post up here. If you wish you can call me. I sent a PM with my number.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henderson, ,
    Posts
    232

    Post imported post

    greengum wrote:
    702Shooter wrote:
    Please contact me though my website. I'm interested in getting involved.

    702Shooter.com
    We keep pretty much everything in the open and post up here. If you wish you can call me. I sent a PM with my number.
    Greengum, You are missing his point...he wants us to join his forum .......I am happy with this one...

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    doninvegas wrote:
    greengum wrote:
    702Shooter wrote:
    Please contact me though my website. I'm interested in getting involved.

    702Shooter.com
    We keep pretty much everything in the open and post up here. If you wish you can call me. I sent a PM with my number.
    Greengum, You are missing his point...he wants us to join his forum .......I am happy with this one...
    Not sure where I mentioned anything other than contacting me there and you don't have to join anything to use the contact form.

    Greengum, thanks for the follow up, I'll give you a call over the weekend.

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,413

    Post imported post

    I vote NO on the donation to the police department. There are plenty of worthy charities needing needing our money, and police still have a long way to go. Besides, I don't think it's right to raise money for cops, it kind of sends the wrong message.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    timf343 wrote:
    I vote NO on the donation to the police department. There are plenty of worthy charities needing needing our money, and police still have a long way to go. Besides, I don't think it's right to raise money for cops, it kind of sends the wrong message.
    There are a lot of other options.

    http://www.lasvegasveteransmemorial.com/

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763

    Post imported post

    Not one dime to the police. They continue to violate peoples rights, continue to back the blue card, continue to dress like jack booted thugs(have you seen the gang task division guys?).



    Veterans gets my vote.

  16. #16
    Regular Member flagellum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    Veterans sounds like a pretty good idea. I mean, who doesn't have a soft spot for wounded/fallen vets? I think it would be a huge success.
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    260

    Post imported post

    After my detention and (whatI feel) illegal search yesterday, I vote no on the police too. I can't afford an attorney, but if I got some funds I'd go after the doctors office for violating my personal information(the doc. told police my name and DOB at minimum), and the police department for them giving out my information to the doctors office (they stated that even before asking formy identity they knew my name, date of birth, that i had a ccw, and that i had applied to the department...and one officer commented "we know you applied to the department, stop trying to act like a cop" when I said I refused to answer any questions without a lawyer)


    I'd like to show up to the awareness thing though. I'd probably never wear ithonestly, but i'd pay for a shirt if it goes to a worthy charity.


    I don't expect compensation, its just rather annoying that they continue to get away with this stuff, and that people are telling me they did nothing wrong. I at least have a few people on my side here, which helps me feel less like a complete idiot and victim.

    My first leo encounter, and hopefully my last.

    ps. the internal affairs website was down today when i tried to submit my complaint...how convenient!


  18. #18
    Regular Member greengum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    330

    Post imported post

    I'm all for helping vets and if you guys believe in the cause and participate I will contact the local VA and work with them. That being said I don't completely agree that the cops are the enemy. Have they in general violated peoples rights in the past? Yes, but so have regular citizens every time someone gets robbed, killed, raped etc. Believe me I am not a fan of police encounters. I have been fukked with my fair share. But I can not sit here in good conscience think of a good enough reason to not donate to a family of a fallen police officer who lived and patrolled our community.

    I don't want this to be a deal breaker and I would like as many people involved as possible. I value everyone's input very highly. Let's get the word out, we are now fund raising for our veterans.

    I'm also going to be going around to local business and ask for sponsership or donations to the cause. I know you guys have put in some work with t-shirts and fliers. Lets keep it up!

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    46

    Post imported post

    Don't you think by donating to the "evil Police Departments" you might change a few minds?

    You might make the cops think twice about "violating your rights" if they think you may have had a hand in buying groceries for a fallen officers family. Haven't you guys ever heard the term "kill them with kindness"?



    I don't think there is a better group to donate to than an LE charity.



    And I know a lot of you have had bad experiences with LEOs, but I am very confident most of them were brought on by your own actions and attitudes towards the officers responding. I have had contact with LEOs numerous times, and not ONCE did I have any problems.


    Greengum, I will gladly support your event if you decide to go with an LEO charity.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763

    Post imported post

    Facejackets wrote:
    Don't you think by donating to the "evil Police Departments" you might change a few minds?

    You might make the cops think twice about "violating your rights" if they think you may have had a hand in buying groceries for a fallen officers family. Haven't you guys ever heard the term "kill them with kindness"?



    I don't think there is a better group to donate to than an LE charity.



    And I know a lot of you have had bad experiences with LEOs, but I am very confident most of them were brought on by your own actions and attitudes towards the officers responding. I have had contact with LEOs numerous times, and not ONCE did I have any problems.


    Greengum, I will gladly support your event if you decide to go with an LEO charity.
    So we should pay off to cops to not violate us?

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,413

    Post imported post

    Facejackets wrote:
    And I know a lot of you have had bad experiences with LEOs, but I am very confident most of them were brought on by your own actions and attitudes towards the officers responding. I have had contact with LEOs numerous times, and not ONCE did I have any problems.
    That's a pretty bold statement. Is a battered wife responsible because her husband broke the law and beat her up when she refused to cook dinner? Then why is an innocent citizen responsible when police violate the law, no matter the circumstances?

    Compliance with police is definitely the way to go if you care about expedience. Good guys who cooperate are sure to have a much quicker encounter with law enforcement. But as one of those good guys, I want no encounter with police officers. That's why I'm willing to refuse to cooperate each and every time police initiate a stop on me, even if it means a longer or more painful stop right now.

    There have been times in my life when I have complied with police, mostly out of ignorance of what my rights really were. And in those cases, police left quickly. But that point in my life is over. I've become aware of what authority police actually have, and what my rights are, and I take my duty as an American citizen seriously. I have nothing to hide, but I don't have to prove it, and from now on, I never will again.

    I realize that there are only two possible outcomes. Either they will break my resolve and I will comply just out of sheer fatigue. Or two, police will recognize that there is no reason to stop or initiate an encounter with law abiding citizens, and go about the business of solving crimes.

    Veterans get my vote. At least when they took an oath to defend the Constitution, they meant it.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henderson, ,
    Posts
    232

    Post imported post

    They all take bribes here....

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    53

    Post imported post

    In terms of who to donate to, may I suggest a question to ask that may give the best answer? To what group would a donation have the best benefit to them and to NV open carriers? As an example, maybe calling one of the news anchors on tv and asking them to pick a charity. That might get a tv or newspaper mention and promote open carrythan a check sent to metro that no one might hear about.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henderson, ,
    Posts
    232

    Post imported post

    It aint like it is going to be Hundreds of dollars....we can always do it a second time and give it to someone else....raising money wont be that easy in today's econmy.

    don

  25. #25
    Regular Member greengum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    330

    Post imported post

    I spoke with Smith's and I got a form to fill out. I will be sending it in this week. I was thinking the 2nd weekend in June.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •