• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Fundraiser & Awarness Event

greengum

imported post

I brought this up at the BBQ last week and everyone seemed to agree that this would be a good idea. The open carry "movement" here in Nevada is in a pretty good spot in relation to many States out there. With the past efforts of Tim, Dave, and others we can all pretty much solo OC just about everywhere. The next step I believe is to inform the communities in which we live. Basically get the word out and hopefully our numbers will grow or at the very least we can inform as many people as we can.

The general idea I had was to have a simple fundraiser and donate the money to a good cause. We could set up a little table with our fliers and sell some homemade cookies or baked goods at a local grocery, then give all the money to a cause.

Since this is a public relations campaign for the most part I think it would be a good idea to donate to Henderson Police or to Metro. There are many reason why I think they would be a good idea. First is since the issues with Tim they have really left us alone. I know what your thinking, that they should have left us alone to begin with but they did change. Second I think it would be good to have the general public see us as donating to the police. It gives the impression that the police support us and adds a little more legitimacy. Third it lets the police know that we are not against them and in fact appreciate the good things they do. There are more reasons but I will stop there. I have spoken the a police captain at Henderson and he supports the general idea.

I will be speaking to the manager at my local Smith's store which I frequent everyday and have open carried each time. I will run the idea past her to set up a little table. If I get this rolling I would like all of us to get some shirts made up. I know there is a thread about it and it looks great. Don has been working on a tri-fold flier which is something I would like to have displayed and ready to hand out. Of course I would like to have as many people show up open carrying! I would like to do this on a Saturday since it seems like a lot of people go to church.

I will be posting more details as they come up. I would also like everyone's thoughts and opinions. Nothing is set in stone but I feel that doing something like this will get the word out a lot better then an open carry strip meet up.

Remmy

imported post

I am very in for this, also we are in the process of getting a store front set up for the t-shirts that will be ready soon. Also for the flyers I posted in the T-shirt topic a smaller version of the logo for a letter head which if put on a flyer to hand out at this event would make it look very nice.

I am in full support for donating the proceeds to the police departments, more so as we were talking to the families that have been hurt on the job or have suffered a loss. After all they live in our community along with us.

doninvegas

imported post

greengum wrote:
I brought this up at the BBQ last week and everyone seemed to agree that this would be a good idea. The open carry "movement" here in Nevada is in a pretty good spot in relation to many States out there. With the past efforts of Tim, Dave, and others we can all pretty much solo OC just about everywhere. The next step I believe is to inform the communities in which we live. Basically get the word out and hopefully our numbers will grow or at the very least we can inform as many people as we can.

The general idea I had was to have a simple fundraiser and donate the money to a good cause. We could set up a little table with our fliers and sell some homemade cookies or baked goods at a local grocery, then give all the money to a cause.

Since this is a public relations campaign for the most part I think it would be a good idea to donate to Henderson Police or to Metro. There are many reason why I think they would be a good idea. First is since the issues with Tim they have really left us alone. I know what your thinking, that they should have left us alone to begin with but they did change. Second I think it would be good to have the general public see us as donating to the police. It gives the impression that the police support us and adds a little more legitimacy. Third it lets the police know that we are not against them and in fact appreciate the good things they do. There are more reasons but I will stop there. I have spoken the a police captain at Henderson and he supports the general idea.

I will be speaking to the manager at my local Smith's store which I frequent everyday and have open carried each time. I will run the idea past her to set up a little table. If I get this rolling I would like all of us to get some shirts made up. I know there is a thread about it and it looks great. Don has been working on a tri-fold flier which is something I would like to have displayed and ready to hand out. Of course I would like to have as many people show up open carrying! I would like to do this on a Saturday since it seems like a lot of people go to church.

I will be posting more details as they come up. I would also like everyone's thoughts and opinions. Nothing is set in stone but I feel that doing something like this will get the word out a lot better then an open carry strip meet up.
We could get some extra t shirts and sell them with the cookies....I will buy and donate a few when we find out how much they cost....
also i have that pamphlet in a tri folded Word document, i was going to just get a few copies made of it fr my own use , but i think it might be nice enough to pass out....

greengum

imported post

The captain said we could delegate where the money goes, so to the family of injured or killed cops is an option. Also I know I misspelled awareness in the title and I dunno how to fix it :( :banghead:

doninvegas

imported post

greengum wrote:
The captain said we could delegate where the money goes, so to the family of injured or killed cops is an option. Also I know I misspelled awareness in the title and I dunno how to fix it :( :banghead:
jpierce has o fix it i think.....:what:

Remmy

imported post

greengum wrote:

options are always good, no matter what we choose it will be for a good cause and some serious good PR for us and Open Carry

GoDSpeeD

imported post

I was thinking after the event that a Fallen Soldier fun raiser would be nice. As a matter of fact I just got one of the recruiters cards and maybe I could get some soldiers out there to help. But in the end a good deed is a good deed, I just want it going to whom deserve it.

GoDSpeeD

doninvegas

imported post

702Shooter wrote:
Please contact me though my website. I'm interested in getting involved.

702Shooter.com
well jump on in here and get involved....

great bunch of guys and gals...good ideas.....

greengum

imported post

702Shooter wrote:

702Shooter.com
We keep pretty much everything in the open and post up here. If you wish you can call me. I sent a PM with my number.

doninvegas

imported post

greengum wrote:
702Shooter wrote:

702Shooter.com
We keep pretty much everything in the open and post up here. If you wish you can call me. I sent a PM with my number.
Greengum, You are missing his point...he wants us to join his forum .......I am happy with this one...:lol:

702Shooter

imported post

doninvegas wrote:
greengum wrote:
702Shooter wrote:

702Shooter.com
Greengum, You are missing his point...he wants us to join his forum .......I am happy with this one...:lol:
Not sure where I mentioned anything other than contacting me there and you don't have to join anything to use the contact form.

Greengum, thanks for the follow up, I'll give you a call over the weekend.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I vote NO on the donation to the police department. There are plenty of worthy charities needing needing our money, and police still have a long way to go. Besides, I don't think it's right to raise money for cops, it kind of sends the wrong message.

Vegassteve

imported post

Not one dime to the police. They continue to violate peoples rights, continue to back the blue card, continue to dress like jack booted thugs(have you seen the gang task division guys?).

Veterans gets my vote.

flagellum

imported post

Veterans sounds like a pretty good idea. I mean, who doesn't have a soft spot for wounded/fallen vets? I think it would be a huge success.

Lostlittlerobot

imported post

After my detention and (whatI feel) illegal search yesterday, I vote no on the police too. I can't afford an attorney, but if I got some funds I'd go after the doctors office for violating my personal information(the doc. told police my name and DOB at minimum), and the police department for them giving out my information to the doctors office (they stated that even before asking formy identity they knew my name, date of birth, that i had a ccw, and that i had applied to the department...and one officer commented "we know you applied to the department, stop trying to act like a cop" when I said I refused to answer any questions without a lawyer)

I'd like to show up to the awareness thing though. I'd probably never wear ithonestly, but i'd pay for a shirt if it goes to a worthy charity.

I don't expect compensation, its just rather annoying that they continue to get away with this stuff, and that people are telling me they did nothing wrong. I at least have a few people on my side here, which helps me feel less like a complete idiot and victim.

My first leo encounter, and hopefully my last.

ps. the internal affairs website was down today when i tried to submit my complaint...how convenient!

greengum

imported post

I'm all for helping vets and if you guys believe in the cause and participate I will contact the local VA and work with them. That being said I don't completely agree that the cops are the enemy. Have they in general violated peoples rights in the past? Yes, but so have regular citizens every time someone gets robbed, killed, raped etc. Believe me I am not a fan of police encounters. I have been fukked with my fair share. But I can not sit here in good conscience think of a good enough reason to not donate to a family of a fallen police officer who lived and patrolled our community.

I don't want this to be a deal breaker and I would like as many people involved as possible. I value everyone's input very highly. Let's get the word out, we are now fund raising for our veterans.

I'm also going to be going around to local business and ask for sponsership or donations to the cause. I know you guys have put in some work with t-shirts and fliers. Lets keep it up!

Facejackets

imported post

Don't you think by donating to the "evil Police Departments" you might change a few minds?

You might make the cops think twice about "violating your rights" if they think you may have had a hand in buying groceries for a fallen officers family. Haven't you guys ever heard the term "kill them with kindness"?

I don't think there is a better group to donate to than an LE charity.

And I know a lot of you have had bad experiences with LEOs, but I am very confident most of them were brought on by your own actions and attitudes towards the officers responding. I have had contact with LEOs numerous times, and not ONCE did I have any problems.

Greengum, I will gladly support your event if you decide to go with an LEO charity.

Vegassteve

imported post

Facejackets wrote:
Don't you think by donating to the "evil Police Departments" you might change a few minds?

You might make the cops think twice about "violating your rights" if they think you may have had a hand in buying groceries for a fallen officers family. Haven't you guys ever heard the term "kill them with kindness"?

I don't think there is a better group to donate to than an LE charity.

And I know a lot of you have had bad experiences with LEOs, but I am very confident most of them were brought on by your own actions and attitudes towards the officers responding. I have had contact with LEOs numerous times, and not ONCE did I have any problems.

Greengum, I will gladly support your event if you decide to go with an LEO charity.
So we should pay off to cops to not violate us?