• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can u shoot a man for killing your dog?

Tony Santiago

imported post

does washington law allow you to shoot a man for killing your dog right in front of you? the dog thread reminded me of this question. if you are out walking your dog, or are at a dog park, and a man just randomly but purposely shoots your dog, or kills him by whatever other method, can you legally shoot him?

69Charger

imported post

I think dogs are considered possessions. You would face a hard, long, legal road ahead. :(
Dave

Bob Warden

imported post

Tony Santiago wrote:
does washington law allow you to shoot a man for killing your dog right in front of you? the dog thread reminded me of this question. if you are out walking your dog, or are at a dog park, and a man just randomly but purposely shoots your dog, or kills him by whatever other method, can you legally shoot him?
No.

amzbrady

imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
Tony Santiago wrote:
No.
new scenario, your standing there with your dog on the leash and a guy shoots your dog, how do you know your not next, you can not shoot him? If someone is running up to you with a baseball bat can you shoot him? If in these cases why would you let him get as far as the dog to find out it is the dog he's after and not you.

Aaron1124

imported post

First of all, if someone just shot my dog right in front of me, chances are, I would shoot him. If he just drew a firearm and fired at my dog, how I am suppose to know he isn't going to fire at me? Not a chance I'm willing to take.

Would anyone here feel even remotely safe if some psychopath just drew a firearm and shot your dog, right in front of you?

69Charger

imported post

Well if you feel that your life is in grave danger, then you have the right to protect your self.
Dave

TechnoWeenie

imported post

You're out walking your dog... and you see a man pull out a gun and point it in your direction

*STOP*

He MISSES you and hits your dog

*STOP*

It's all about perspective...

amzbrady

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
You're out walking your dog... and you see a man pull out a gun and point it in your direction

*STOP*

He MISSES you and hits your dog

*STOP*

It's all about perspective...
Komo 4 news..... Park gun ban lifted, dog shot.

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

The short answer is NO. But if he was shooting in your direction an hit the dog. Or was wielding a weapon that could harm you as he struck down near you hitting the dog. This being said... Who's to say he wasn't going for you? I would hope to see him pay in other ways other than with his life, though.

Bersa.380

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:
Tony Santiago wrote:
No.
new scenario, your standing there with your dog on the leash and a guy shoots your dog, how do you know your not next, you can not shoot him? If someone is running up to you with a baseball bat can you shoot him? If in these cases why would you let him get as far as the dog to find out it is the dog he's after and not you.
Good point, Amzbrady !

.45ACPaddy

imported post

If someone pulls a gun and points it in my general direction, more than likely I would be in fear for my life, and with that I'd be justified under law to use deadly force to defend myself. However, every situation is unique, we can't exactly predict the future.

Assuming I have a dog:

If he shot my dog before I had time to react to him shooting my dog, and the gunshot got my attention, and I turned to see him with a gun, I would be in fear for my life and most likely draw. Assuming I drew my sidearm, either he would point his at me, at which point I would most likely take aim and fire, or he would stand down in some form and I would most likely not shoot. There may be other ways the situation could go. There are too many variables to say for certain either way.

If he drew in my direction and I had time to react before he shot my dog, I'd draw down. If he continued to point toward my direction after I draw, I would most likely fire. If he stood down, I'd most likely not. Once again, too many variables to say for certain either way.

Aside from anything that would put you in fear for your life: Simply based on the fact that it's your personal property being damaged, you would not be justified.

HOWEVER: If it were done in a manner that posed an immediate threat to your life, or posed an immediate threat of great bodily harm to you, then you would be justified.

That's all I can say for now.

Glock17

imported post

Sounds like this guy was really pissed off at your dog. I for one would have pulled a secret service move and thrown myself in front of the dog to protect him from the 1500 foot per second projectile and be a hero. People love it when you sacrifice your life for a pet. Its very stylish. Cheers :lol:

John Hardin

imported post

Glock17 wrote:
I for one would have pulled a secret service move and thrown myself in front of the dog to protect him from the 1500 foot per second projectile and be a hero. People love it when you sacrifice your life for a pet. Its very stylish. Cheers :lol:
Don't forget to do it in slo-mo while yelling "noooooooooooooo.....!"

sudden valley gunner

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
Glock17 wrote:
I for one would have pulled a secret service move and thrown myself in front of the dog to protect him from the 1500 foot per second projectile and be a hero. People love it when you sacrifice your life for a pet. Its very stylish. Cheers :lol:
Don't forget to do it in slo-mo while yelling "noooooooooooooo.....!"
Ok now that's funny right there.