Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Question on getting paperwork for a Florida permit

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southington, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    I have been carrying in the state of CT for 14 years. I am now filling out the paperwork for the state of Florida. I have all fingerprints and paperwork complete. The only thing left is they want paperwork from the class I took 14 years ago. Or some kind of signed paper saying I am qualified to carry. They will not take a copy of my license of hunting permit. Anyone have any ideas.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
    Posts
    412

    Post imported post

    bigcntry88 wrote:
    I have been carrying in the state of CT for 14 years. I am now filling out the paperwork for the state of Florida. I have all fingerprints and paperwork complete. The only thing left is they want paperwork from the class I took 14 years ago. Or some kind of signed paper saying I am qualified to carry. They will not take a copy of my license of hunting permit. Anyone have any ideas.
    Yeah, since the two states do not have reciprocity, they won't take a copy of your carry permit.

    Take an NRA class, or if you shoot competitively, ask the match director if he/she would sign a statement that he/she witnessed your safe, competent gun handling. Or take a hunter safety class.



    Former Military? You can use your DD214.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southington, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    So I have to take a another hunter safety course? Discharged in 94.Will they take that even though it is 16 years ago? One way or the other sounds like I am going to a class. Or have someone I know right a letter. They always throw in a wrench.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Litchfield County, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    29

    Post imported post

    Has Florida indicated that a 14 year old certificate would be acceptible? I applied for a Maine carry permit last summer & was rejected b/c my certificate was over 5 years old.

    Any chance of getting a copy of your certificate from 14 years ago? If you're in a small town, they might still have it. My town had mine, and that was from 1994.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    bigcntry88 wrote:
    So I have to take a another hunter safety course? Discharged in 94.Will they take that even though it is 16 years ago? One way or the other sounds like I am going to a class. Or have someone I know right a letter. They always throw in a wrench.
    There is no time limit on a DD214 for Florida. I obtained a Florida non-resident permit using a DD214 from 1968.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Prince William Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    105

    Post imported post

    Hawkmoon wrote:
    bigcntry88 wrote:
    So I have to take a another hunter safety course? Discharged in 94.Will they take that even though it is 16 years ago? One way or the other sounds like I am going to a class. Or have someone I know right a letter. They always throw in a wrench.
    There is no time limit on a DD214 for Florida. I obtained a Florida non-resident permit using a DD214 from 1968.
    Correct. Any DD214 is valid, regardless of discharge date. I got out the first time in 1994 as well and could have used it instead of my current active ID.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southington, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    thanks for the help sent it all off certified mail they got it said its all good now just the waiting game. When flying to Florida what is the best way to get my fire arm there

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613

    Post imported post

    bigcntry88 wrote:
    thanks for the help sent it all off certified mail they got it said its all good now just the waiting game. When flying to Florida what is the best way to get my fire arm there
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

    http://www.justice.gov/usao/wie/LECC...on%20plane.pdf

    Yata hey

    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southington, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    Thank you kindly

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hamden, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    bigcntry88 wrote:
    thanks for the help sent it all off certified mail they got it said its all good now just the waiting game.



    You shouldn't have to wait long. I got mine a month or two ago and it only took 32 days.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southington, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    That would be great I am planning on heading down soon My brother will be PO'ED he has been waiting for 12 weeks in Stratford. Mine in CT 15 years ago I waited two weeks how things have changed. I just hate checking bags at the airport. Can I ship the weapon down to a local shop where I am going in FLA

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Stratford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    646

    Post imported post

    Time to start rattling cages in Stratford. If I were your brother I'd craft a polite letter to the mayor asking him why there is such a delay in processing a simple pistol permit request.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •