• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on getting paperwork for a Florida permit

bigcntry88

imported post

I have been carrying in the state of CT for 14 years. I am now filling out the paperwork for the state of Florida. I have all fingerprints and paperwork complete. The only thing left is they want paperwork from the class I took 14 years ago. Or some kind of signed paper saying I am qualified to carry. They will not take a copy of my license of hunting permit. Anyone have any ideas.

brboyer

imported post

bigcntry88 wrote:
I have been carrying in the state of CT for 14 years. I am now filling out the paperwork for the state of Florida. I have all fingerprints and paperwork complete. The only thing left is they want paperwork from the class I took 14 years ago. Or some kind of signed paper saying I am qualified to carry. They will not take a copy of my license of hunting permit. Anyone have any ideas.

Yeah, since the two states do not have reciprocity, they won't take a copy of your carry permit.

Take an NRA class, or if you shoot competitively, ask the match director if he/she would sign a statement that he/she witnessed your safe, competent gun handling. Or take a hunter safety class.

Former Military? You can use your DD214.

bigcntry88

imported post

So I have to take a another hunter safety course? Discharged in 94.Will they take that even though it is 16 years ago? One way or the other sounds like I am going to a class. Or have someone I know right a letter. They always throw in a wrench.

Just a Guy

imported post

Has Florida indicated that a 14 year old certificate would be acceptible? I applied for a Maine carry permit last summer & was rejected b/c my certificate was over 5 years old.

Any chance of getting a copy of your certificate from 14 years ago? If you're in a small town, they might still have it. My town had mine, and that was from 1994.

Hawkmoon

imported post

bigcntry88 wrote:
So I have to take a another hunter safety course? Discharged in 94.Will they take that even though it is 16 years ago? One way or the other sounds like I am going to a class. Or have someone I know right a letter. They always throw in a wrench.
There is no time limit on a DD214 for Florida. I obtained a Florida non-resident permit using a DD214 from 1968.

AIC869

imported post

Hawkmoon wrote:
bigcntry88 wrote:
There is no time limit on a DD214 for Florida. I obtained a Florida non-resident permit using a DD214 from 1968.
Correct. Any DD214 is valid, regardless of discharge date. I got out the first time in 1994 as well and could have used it instead of my current active ID.

bigcntry88

imported post

thanks for the help sent it all off certified mail they got it said its all good now just the waiting game. When flying to Florida what is the best way to get my fire arm there

bigcntry88

imported post

That would be great I am planning on heading down soon My brother will be PO'ED he has been waiting for 12 weeks in Stratford. Mine in CT 15 years ago I waited two weeks how things have changed. I just hate checking bags at the airport. Can I ship the weapon down to a local shop where I am going in FLA

GoldCoaster

imported post

Time to start rattling cages in Stratford. If I were your brother I'd craft a polite letter to the mayor asking him why there is such a delay in processing a simple pistol permit request.