Thread: Question on getting paperwork for a Florida permit

Post imported post

I have been carrying in the state of CT for 14 years. I am now filling out the paperwork for the state of Florida. I have all fingerprints and paperwork complete. The only thing left is they want paperwork from the class I took 14 years ago. Or some kind of signed paper saying I am qualified to carry. They will not take a copy of my license of hunting permit. Anyone have any ideas.

Post imported post

bigcntry88 wrote:
    I have been carrying in the state of CT for 14 years. I am now filling out the paperwork for the state of Florida. I have all fingerprints and paperwork complete. The only thing left is they want paperwork from the class I took 14 years ago. Or some kind of signed paper saying I am qualified to carry. They will not take a copy of my license of hunting permit. Anyone have any ideas.
    Yeah, since the two states do not have reciprocity, they won't take a copy of your carry permit.

Take an NRA class, or if you shoot competitively, ask the match director if he/she would sign a statement that he/she witnessed your safe, competent gun handling. Or take a hunter safety class.

Former Military? You can use your DD214.

Post imported post

So I have to take a another hunter safety course? Discharged in 94.Will they take that even though it is 16 years ago? One way or the other sounds like I am going to a class. Or have someone I know right a letter. They always throw in a wrench.

Post imported post

Has Florida indicated that a 14 year old certificate would be acceptible? I applied for a Maine carry permit last summer & was rejected b/c my certificate was over 5 years old.

Any chance of getting a copy of your certificate from 14 years ago? If you're in a small town, they might still have it. My town had mine, and that was from 1994.

Post imported post

bigcntry88 wrote:
    So I have to take a another hunter safety course? Discharged in 94.Will they take that even though it is 16 years ago? One way or the other sounds like I am going to a class. Or have someone I know right a letter. They always throw in a wrench.
    There is no time limit on a DD214 for Florida. I obtained a Florida non-resident permit using a DD214 from 1968.

Post imported post

Hawkmoon wrote:
    bigcntry88 wrote:
    There is no time limit on a DD214 for Florida. I obtained a Florida non-resident permit using a DD214 from 1968.
    Correct. Any DD214 is valid, regardless of discharge date. I got out the first time in 1994 as well and could have used it instead of my current active ID.

Post imported post

thanks for the help sent it all off certified mail they got it said its all good now just the waiting game. When flying to Florida what is the best way to get my fire arm there

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

bigcntry88 wrote:
    thanks for the help sent it all off certified mail they got it said its all good now just the waiting game. When flying to Florida what is the best way to get my fire arm there
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

http://www.justice.gov/usao/wie/LECC...on%20plane.pdf

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Thank you kindly

Post imported post

bigcntry88 wrote:
    thanks for the help sent it all off certified mail they got it said its all good now just the waiting game.

You shouldn't have to wait long. I got mine a month or two ago and it only took 32 days.

Post imported post

That would be great I am planning on heading down soon My brother will be PO'ED he has been waiting for 12 weeks in Stratford. Mine in CT 15 years ago I waited two weeks how things have changed. I just hate checking bags at the airport. Can I ship the weapon down to a local shop where I am going in FLA

Post imported post

Time to start rattling cages in Stratford. If I were your brother I'd craft a polite letter to the mayor asking him why there is such a delay in processing a simple pistol permit request.