• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ICarry.org Announces SECOND CONFIRMED Open Carry Event in Illinois!!!

Ruby

imported post

The forum is nationwide. You should be able to find if you are on the forum. Go to the website, click on forum, click on True Tales of Self Defense; it's the second story. There are stories from all over the country there. Hope this helps.

TyGuy

imported post

I would but I am in the hospital as my wife just gav birth to our first today. I am tired and too lazy to look, but I can look tomorrow.

How about one of those self defense pens? If someone grabs your gun and won't let go you can stab their hand with the pen.

Ruby

imported post

TyGuy wrote:
I would but I am in the hospital as my wife just gav birth to our first today. I am tired and too lazy to look, but I can look tomorrow.

How about one of those self defense pens? If someone grabs your gun and won't let go you can stab their hand with the pen.

Congratulations, new daddy! How exciting for the both of you.

I don't know about the pen; it would probably be okay since it's not a lethal weapon. A knife is and that's why I can't carry it. Washington is a preemptive state; what that means is thatonly the state legislature makes the gun laws. There was a big row here last year because Seattle's mayor Nickels declared a ban on guns in Seattle city parks. You may have heard aboutit. Second Amendment Foundation among others sued and the city lost. But there is no such thing for knives. Every little town or municipality can make their own laws concerning knives. Mine has a 4" blade and I know that's over the limit for most cities and towns around here. So I don't carry it.

I don't know how useful a self defense pen would be; I guess it would depend on how serious the person was about taking my gun. Something like that would be extremely rare; you hardly ever hear of that happening except to a LEO, but anything is in the realm of possibility. I think the key is situational awareness, all the time. I am an older woman, and although I work out and am pretty strong, I am not strong enough to wrestle with a man over my gun. That's where a back up gun comes in handy. Now if I can just figure out where to carry it! I plan to take a defensive handgun course as well as a gun retention class. You may want to check out firearmsacademyofseattle.com. I've heard their courses are excellent, but they are expensive.

Well, get some rest, I'll bet you are tired. Not as tired as your wife, though! Did you have a boy or a girl? I am glad you are into self defense and defense of your family. I have customers that have no idea what they would do if someone broke into their home and threatened their family. My .45 sleeps right beside my bed. I also have a 65 lb chocolate lab that will alert me if anything happens while I'm sleeping. I guess I am about as safe as I can be right now. You take care and get some rest. It's been nice talking to you and if you have anymore questions you are welcome to contact me again.

TyGuy

imported post

I've read about the firearms academy that you mentioned.

I have my .45 near my pillow, but it's in a quick action safe since I'll have a curious little one in a few years. We also have a 70 pound black lab that is very sweet, but she is also very defensive. I actually drew my firearm once at home because her bark was so bad. I OC on my property and I hear her do this horribly mean back so I get up and notice that she is barking at something inside the house (She was outside at the back door) I thought that someone was inside, so I drew. It turned out that the UPS guy was at the front door leaving a package, but she had seen it from the side of the house and was worried for us inside the house.

M

McX

imported post

how was the event? any pics? someone at our coffee said they went and it was realy good. i knew it and was indeed piffed i couldn't go! i hate to miss the good ones!