Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if attacked by an animal?

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar

Post imported post

Ok, so i just saw this guy walking his excessively large dog down my street, and the thought just sorta hit me, what if im OC'ing and a dog attacks me, or hops the fence or something and starts chasing me...would it be legal to shoot the animal?...im not talking about a yorkie or something, but if a big, pi$$ed off dog is chasing me, or trying to attack me....it would be legal.....right?
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

Post imported post

I actually had this same thought the other day while 'walking my excessively large dog down the street'. :what:
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Post imported post

I've almost shot one dog already while riding my bike. It wouldn't let me move, but it wasn't actually attacking me. I was ready to shoot it in a heartbeat. The advice given to me is if you're going to shoot it, make sure it dies. As far as I'm concerned, self defense is self defense.

Anyway, I knew the owner, and he's one of our better neighbors who was just walking with his dog (no leash). He says the dog just doesn't like bikes.

Post imported post

fozzy71 wrote:
    I actually had this same thought the other day while 'walking my excessively large dog down the street'. :what:
    It is illegal unless you are in fear of death, serious bodily injury or.....unwanted sexual penetration...

Post imported post

I actually drew on a dog last night. It came around a corner it was hiding behind, specifically a fence and bushes. It was at least a 130 pound dog, and it acted very vicious, like it was going to try and attack me and the person I was walking with. The owner had it on a rope of some sort that was just barely too short to let it get to the sidewalk, but the dog could get its face inches from the sidewalk.

I was about half a heartbeat away from shooting it. It was one of those situations where I simply didn't have time to think, only time to draw. If there wasn't that line it was on, it would have been RIGHT on us when I shot it. The whole process of being surprised by the dog, drawing on it, and realizing it was on a line took under 2 seconds. It's a great example of how you never know when you'll be in danger.

It really pissed me off that they positioned the dog that way.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
    fozzy71 wrote:
    It is illegal unless you are in fear of death, serious bodily injury or.....unwanted sexual penetration...
    So the answer to your question is yes, you have the right to defend yourself from a dog attack with your firearm. Now if the dog is a yorkie...?

Post imported post

scot623 wrote:
    FatboyCykes wrote:
    fozzy71 wrote:
    So the answer to your question is yes, you have the right to defend yourself from a dog attack with your firearm. Now if the dog is a yorkie...?
    .....unwanted sexual penetration...

Banned

Post imported post

football.

Ive been worried about this german shepard a neighbor owns (against park rules). This guy has been known to leave the window open with no screen, sometimes while he isnt home. Yes, its the dealer with the radio. Hope it doesnt come out that window at me.

Post imported post

If it's an older mobile home, with the flimsier windows, it wouldn't even need to be opened. My dog once pushed out a mobile home (glass window) and made it a mile in urban detroit, on my first day at a new job.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Banned

Post imported post

I dont see these windows holding the animal, if it wants out, its getting out. I really dont want to open fire in a trailer park. There are a lot of people here, kids too, and the trailers are pretty close. A .40 will go through a few of them.

Post imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
    fozzy71 wrote:
    ROFL

Post imported post

Unless I was sure that dog had a good chance of killing me solo or at least tearing a limb from my body, I would do anything not to shoot it. Unlike a human, you should be able to easily out think and evade any dog. Jump on a car, climb a tree, try intimidating it. They just aren't as maniacal as a human threat can be.

Even attacking it might send it fleeing or at least keep it at a distance. Unless its a super huge and strong dog, I think I can take it mano e dogo in hand to paw combat.

Firing a weapon, especially in town, against a dog might get you in serious trouble. Alot of people who may make up a jury, might not recognize it as the same threat you might feel it is.

Now two sizable dogs packed up and attacking is a serious deadly threat.They may be able to incapacitate you rather quickly. I would be alot less hesistant to use my firearm if faced with two or more dogs about to attack me.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    I dont see these windows holding the animal, if it wants out, its getting out. I really dont want to open fire in a trailer park. There are a lot of people here, kids too, and the trailers are pretty close. A .40 will go through a few of them.
    LOL Sometimes it is difficult to differentiate between the two.

Post imported post

MCL 287.279

And before anybody askes what counts as livestock....

MCL 287.261

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Post imported post

does this apply to Bigfoot and Chewpacobras?

Post imported post

Yes, that scenario of having to shoot a rabid dog or a pack of rabid dogs is constantly at the forefront of mind as I cycle through Detroit and now in the suburbs they are being overrun with coyotes (there was an article in the newspaper in early Feb about this problem). I’ve been chased by twice, once by two rottweilers and a mutt and the other time a pitbull. This was before I had my CPL, both times I didn’t have the luxury of a firearm at my side so I had to huff and puff and outrun them on my bicycle. 22 mph is the magic number gentlemen, if you cant hit that speed in a distance of less than a short block and a half; prepare for battle.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Post imported post

MK wrote:
    Unless I was sure that dog had a good chance of killing me solo or at least tearing a limb from my body, I would do anything not to shoot it. Unlike a human, you should be able to easily out think and evade any dog. Jump on a car, climb a tree, try intimidating it. They just aren't as maniacal as a human threat can be.

Even attacking it might send it fleeing or at least keep it at a distance. Unless its a super huge and strong dog, I think I can take it mano e dogo in hand to paw combat.

Firing a weapon, especially in town, against a dog might get you in serious trouble. Alot of people who may make up a jury, might not recognize it as the same threat you might feel it is.

Now two sizable dogs packed up and attacking is a serious deadly threat.They may be able to incapacitate you rather quickly. I would be alot less hesistant to use my firearm if faced with two or more dogs about to attack me.
    I sincerely hope no one is ever faced with even a medium sized dog intent on tearing their throat out.... and hoping to go mano a dogo with it. Dogs can do an extreme amount of damage, serious damage that will change a person's life dramatically, in an extremely short amount of time.

Knowing that... any dog who shows signs of imminently attacking gets treated in the same manner as a human showing signs of imminent attack. Because, just as I am unwilling to wait to see if an attacking human only wants to beat me until I almost die... I'll not wait to see if a dog wants to chew on me only a little bit.

I am not a human's punching bag... and I am not a dog's chew toy.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

Bikenut wrote:
    MK wrote:
    Unless I was sure that dog had a good chance of killing me solo or at least tearing a limb from my body, I would do anything not to shoot it.Â*Â* Unlike a human, you should be able to easily out think and evade any dog.Â*Â* Jump on a car, climb a tree, try intimidating it.Â*Â* They just aren't as maniacal as a human threat can be.

Even attacking it might send it fleeing or at least keep it at a distance.Â*Â* Unless its a super huge and strong dog, I think I can take it mano e dogo in hand to paw combat.

Firing a weapon, especially in town, against a dog might get you in serious trouble.Â*Â* Alot of people who may make up a jury, might not recognize it as the same threat you might feel it is.

Now two sizable dogs packed up and attacking is a serious deadly threat.Â*Â*They may be able to incapacitate you rather quickly.Â*Â* I would be alot less hesistant to use my firearm if faced with two or more dogs about to attack me.
    I sincerely hope no one is ever faced with even a medium sized dog intent on tearing their throat out.... and hoping to go mano a dogo with it. Dogs can do an extreme amount of damage, serious damage that will change a person's life dramatically, in an extremely short amount of time.

Knowing that... any dog who shows signs of imminently attacking gets treated in the same manner as a human showing signs of imminent attack. Because, just as I am unwilling to wait to see if an attacking human only wants to beat me until I almost die... I'll not wait to see if a dog wants to chew on me only a little bit.

I am not a human's punching bag... and I am not a dog's chew toy.
    +1000

Banned

Post imported post

I second that.

If the dog attacks us, its one thing, we are equipped to defend ourselves. But that same dog logicaly would attack someone else, who doesnt think it could happen to them, or is too young.

Post imported post

MK wrote:

I agree. If your life is in imminent danger, then by all means stop the threat. I read many of the responses in this thread and do not think a draw let alone a shoot is justified.

The MCL above states “attacking persons” is the scenario in which you can shoot the dog, not because he got to close to the sidewalk but was still on a rope and in his own yard.

I think if some of you are this jumpy you should really reconsider your ability to make a responsible decision to use deadly force.

The dog wouldn’t let you pass on your bike so you almost shot it? Are you kidding me? Very disappointed in what I see here.

Banned

Post imported post

wolverine1856 wrote:
    The MCL above states “attacking persons” is the scenario in which you can shoot the dog, not because he got to close to the sidewalk but was still on a rope and in his own yard.

The dog wouldn’t let you pass on your bike so you almost shot it? Are you kidding me? Very disappointed in what I see here.
    The rope is likely what saved the dog. I think congratsulations should be in order for the situational awareness present to realise the dog was on a rope, and the restraint used to hold fire under sudden and stressful iminent attack. Had the rope not been there, the shooting would be justified. That said, shooting adog that is on a rope is a very bad move.

Being ready do defend ones self is simply responsible. If a dog doesnt let me pass, wether on foot or bike, Im ready as well.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    wolverine1856 wrote:

The rope is likely what saved the dog. I think congratsulations should be in order for the situational awareness present to realise the dog was on a rope, and the restraint used to hold fire under sudden and stressful iminent attack. Had the rope not been there, the shooting would be justified. That said, shooting adog that is on a rope is a very bad move.

Being ready do defend ones self is simply responsible. If a dog doesnt let me pass, wether on foot or bike, Im ready as well.
    Bold #1 - It was not an imminet attack (ie the rope).

Bold #2 - Ready for what? The dog is not attacking you. Turn around and go the other way, stand still and call 911, yell for help and hope the owner hears you and retrives his/her dog. All of those are viable options if the dog is not physically attacking you. Unless that dog physically attacks you or you can prove an attackwas imminet you will be up sh*ts creek.

Now I guess we better find the legal defenition of attack. I am assuming the defenition would be in the physical sense.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    wolverine1856 wrote:

I might have a sick sense of humor but did anybody else laugh when they read this? I don't think Stainless meant it as funny but I LOL.

Post imported post

I walk my neighbors Beagle. About 3 years ago we where turning onto a side street and this dog came up and was barking and jumping and biting at us. This dog was not huge but bigger then the Beagle and I did the first thing that came to mind. I moved mine out of the way and kicked the other until it stopped coming at the Beagle and myself.

The owner of the dog came out and was yelling at me for kicking his dog. At this point his dog had stopped and was now running back to his owner crying. I told him to keep his dog in his back yard and that I'm going to protect my dog no matter what it takes.

If the dog were bigger I might have needed something more then my foot ...

Post imported post

Just an off topic comment...

It never ceases to amaze me how many dog owners will ignore the fact that their dog is chewing on your arm or leg... and will shout, scream, and threaten to beat your butt, if you kick back at the dog.

Sorry... no dog is worth more, or more important, than a human being.

Oh... and police dogs, in my opinion, should NOT be considered police officers. Police dogs are a LE tool... same as a squad car. It's a dog, not a human being. For the sake of Pete... anyone ever been arrested for assaulting a squad car?

Just had to get that off my chest....................

And I even like dogs.

Back to topic....
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast