• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What if attacked by an animal?

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

Ok, so i just saw this guy walking his excessively large dog down my street, and the thought just sorta hit me, what if im OC'ing and a dog attacks me, or hops the fence or something and starts chasing me...would it be legal to shoot the animal?...im not talking about a yorkie or something, but if a big, pi$$ed off dog is chasing me, or trying to attack me....it would be legal.....right?

craigm

imported post

I've almost shot one dog already while riding my bike. It wouldn't let me move, but it wasn't actually attacking me. I was ready to shoot it in a heartbeat. The advice given to me is if you're going to shoot it, make sure it dies. As far as I'm concerned, self defense is self defense.

Anyway, I knew the owner, and he's one of our better neighbors who was just walking with his dog (no leash). He says the dog just doesn't like bikes.

FatboyCykes

imported post

fozzy71 wrote:
I actually had this same thought the other day while 'walking my excessively large dog down the street'. :what:
It is illegal unless you are in fear of death, serious bodily injury or.....unwanted sexual penetration...

Michigander

imported post

I actually drew on a dog last night. It came around a corner it was hiding behind, specifically a fence and bushes. It was at least a 130 pound dog, and it acted very vicious, like it was going to try and attack me and the person I was walking with. The owner had it on a rope of some sort that was just barely too short to let it get to the sidewalk, but the dog could get its face inches from the sidewalk.

I was about half a heartbeat away from shooting it. It was one of those situations where I simply didn't have time to think, only time to draw. If there wasn't that line it was on, it would have been RIGHT on us when I shot it. The whole process of being surprised by the dog, drawing on it, and realizing it was on a line took under 2 seconds. It's a great example of how you never know when you'll be in danger.

It really pissed me off that they positioned the dog that way. :cuss:

scot623

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
fozzy71 wrote:
I actually had this same thought the other day while 'walking my excessively large dog down the street'. :what:
It is illegal unless you are in fear of death, serious bodily injury or.....unwanted sexual penetration...

So the answer to your question is yes, you have the right to defend yourself from a dog attack with your firearm. Now if the dog is a yorkie...?

FatboyCykes

imported post

scot623 wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
fozzy71 wrote:

So the answer to your question is yes, you have the right to defend yourself from a dog attack with your firearm. Now if the dog is a yorkie...?
.....unwanted sexual penetration...

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

football.

Ive been worried about this german shepard a neighbor owns (against park rules). This guy has been known to leave the window open with no screen, sometimes while he isnt home. Yes, its the dealer with the radio. Hope it doesnt come out that window at me.

fozzy71

imported post

If it's an older mobile home, with the flimsier windows, it wouldn't even need to be opened. My dog once pushed out a mobile home (glass window) and made it a mile in urban detroit, on my first day at a new job.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I dont see these windows holding the animal, if it wants out, its getting out. I really dont want to open fire in a trailer park. There are a lot of people here, kids too, and the trailers are pretty close. A .40 will go through a few of them.

MK

imported post

Unless I was sure that dog had a good chance of killing me solo or at least tearing a limb from my body, I would do anything not to shoot it. Unlike a human, you should be able to easily out think and evade any dog. Jump on a car, climb a tree, try intimidating it. They just aren't as maniacal as a human threat can be.

Even attacking it might send it fleeing or at least keep it at a distance. Unless its a super huge and strong dog, I think I can take it mano e dogo in hand to paw combat.

Firing a weapon, especially in town, against a dog might get you in serious trouble. Alot of people who may make up a jury, might not recognize it as the same threat you might feel it is.

Now two sizable dogs packed up and attacking is a serious deadly threat.They may be able to incapacitate you rather quickly. I would be alot less hesistant to use my firearm if faced with two or more dogs about to attack me.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
I dont see these windows holding the animal, if it wants out, its getting out. I really dont want to open fire in a trailer park. There are a lot of people here, kids too, and the trailers are pretty close. A .40 will go through a few of them.
LOL Sometimes it is difficult to differentiate between the two.

cmdr_iceman71

imported post

Yes, that scenario of having to shoot a rabid dog or a pack of rabid dogs is constantly at the forefront of mind as I cycle through Detroit and now in the suburbs they are being overrun with coyotes (there was an article in the newspaper in early Feb about this problem). I’ve been chased by twice, once by two rottweilers and a mutt and the other time a pitbull. This was before I had my CPL, both times I didn’t have the luxury of a firearm at my side so I had to huff and puff and outrun them on my bicycle. 22 mph is the magic number gentlemen, if you cant hit that speed in a distance of less than a short block and a half; prepare for battle.

B

Bikenut

imported post

MK wrote:
Unless I was sure that dog had a good chance of killing me solo or at least tearing a limb from my body, I would do anything not to shoot it. Unlike a human, you should be able to easily out think and evade any dog. Jump on a car, climb a tree, try intimidating it. They just aren't as maniacal as a human threat can be.

Even attacking it might send it fleeing or at least keep it at a distance. Unless its a super huge and strong dog, I think I can take it mano e dogo in hand to paw combat.

Firing a weapon, especially in town, against a dog might get you in serious trouble. Alot of people who may make up a jury, might not recognize it as the same threat you might feel it is.

Now two sizable dogs packed up and attacking is a serious deadly threat.They may be able to incapacitate you rather quickly. I would be alot less hesistant to use my firearm if faced with two or more dogs about to attack me.
I sincerely hope no one is ever faced with even a medium sized dog intent on tearing their throat out.... and hoping to go mano a dogo with it. Dogs can do an extreme amount of damage, serious damage that will change a person's life dramatically, in an extremely short amount of time.

Knowing that... any dog who shows signs of imminently attacking gets treated in the same manner as a human showing signs of imminent attack. Because, just as I am unwilling to wait to see if an attacking human only wants to beat me until I almost die... I'll not wait to see if a dog wants to chew on me only a little bit.

I am not a human's punching bag... and I am not a dog's chew toy.

cabman1

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
MK wrote:
Unless I was sure that dog had a good chance of killing me solo or at least tearing a limb from my body, I would do anything not to shoot it.   Unlike a human, you should be able to easily out think and evade any dog.   Jump on a car, climb a tree, try intimidating it.   They just aren't as maniacal as a human threat can be.

Even attacking it might send it fleeing or at least keep it at a distance.   Unless its a super huge and strong dog, I think I can take it mano e dogo in hand to paw combat.

Firing a weapon, especially in town, against a dog might get you in serious trouble.   Alot of people who may make up a jury, might not recognize it as the same threat you might feel it is.

Now two sizable dogs packed up and attacking is a serious deadly threat.  They may be able to incapacitate you rather quickly.   I would be alot less hesistant to use my firearm if faced with two or more dogs about to attack me.
I sincerely hope no one is ever faced with even a medium sized dog intent on tearing their throat out.... and hoping to go mano a dogo with it. Dogs can do an extreme amount of damage, serious damage that will change a person's life dramatically, in an extremely short amount of time.

Knowing that... any dog who shows signs of imminently attacking gets treated in the same manner as a human showing signs of imminent attack. Because, just as I am unwilling to wait to see if an attacking human only wants to beat me until I almost die... I'll not wait to see if a dog wants to chew on me only a little bit.

I am not a human's punching bag... and I am not a dog's chew toy.

+1000

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I second that.

If the dog attacks us, its one thing, we are equipped to defend ourselves. But that same dog logicaly would attack someone else, who doesnt think it could happen to them, or is too young.

wolverine1856

imported post

MK wrote:

I agree. If your life is in imminent danger, then by all means stop the threat. I read many of the responses in this thread and do not think a draw let alone a shoot is justified.

The MCL above states “attacking persons” is the scenario in which you can shoot the dog, not because he got to close to the sidewalk but was still on a rope and in his own yard.

I think if some of you are this jumpy you should really reconsider your ability to make a responsible decision to use deadly force.

The dog wouldn’t let you pass on your bike so you almost shot it? Are you kidding me? Very disappointed in what I see here.