• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What if attacked by an animal?

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

wolverine1856 wrote:
The MCL above states “attacking persons” is the scenario in which you can shoot the dog, not because he got to close to the sidewalk but was still on a rope and in his own yard.

The dog wouldn’t let you pass on your bike so you almost shot it? Are you kidding me? Very disappointed in what I see here.

The rope is likely what saved the dog. I think congratsulations should be in order for the situational awareness present to realise the dog was on a rope, and the restraint used to hold fire under sudden and stressful iminent attack. Had the rope not been there, the shooting would be justified. That said, shooting adog that is on a rope is a very bad move.

Being ready do defend ones self is simply responsible. If a dog doesnt let me pass, wether on foot or bike, Im ready as well.

wolverine1856

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
wolverine1856 wrote:
The MCL above states “attacking persons” is the scenario in which you can shoot the dog, not because he got to close to the sidewalk but was still on a rope and in his own yard.

The dog wouldn’t let you pass on your bike so you almost shot it? Are you kidding me? Very disappointed in what I see here.

The rope is likely what saved the dog. I think congratsulations should be in order for the situational awareness present to realise the dog was on a rope, and the restraint used to hold fire under sudden and stressful iminent attack. Had the rope not been there, the shooting would be justified. That said, shooting adog that is on a rope is a very bad move.

Being ready do defend ones self is simply responsible. If a dog doesnt let me pass, wether on foot or bike, Im ready as well.
Bold #1 - It was not an imminet attack (ie the rope).

Bold #2 - Ready for what? The dog is not attacking you. Turn around and go the other way, stand still and call 911, yell for help and hope the owner hears you and retrives his/her dog. All of those are viable options if the dog is not physically attacking you. Unless that dog physically attacks you or you can prove an attackwas imminet you will be up sh*ts creek.

Now I guess we better find the legal defenition of attack. I am assuming the defenition would be in the physical sense.

wolverine1856

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
wolverine1856 wrote:

I might have a sick sense of humor but did anybody else laugh when they read this? I don't think Stainless meant it as funny but I LOL.

CarrieTheBassist

imported post

I walk my neighbors Beagle. About 3 years ago we where turning onto a side street and this dog came up and was barking and jumping and biting at us. This dog was not huge but bigger then the Beagle and I did the first thing that came to mind. I moved mine out of the way and kicked the other until it stopped coming at the Beagle and myself.

The owner of the dog came out and was yelling at me for kicking his dog. At this point his dog had stopped and was now running back to his owner crying. I told him to keep his dog in his back yard and that I'm going to protect my dog no matter what it takes.

If the dog were bigger I might have needed something more then my foot ...

B

Bikenut

imported post

Just an off topic comment...

It never ceases to amaze me how many dog owners will ignore the fact that their dog is chewing on your arm or leg... and will shout, scream, and threaten to beat your butt, if you kick back at the dog.

Sorry... no dog is worth more, or more important, than a human being.

Oh... and police dogs, in my opinion, should NOT be considered police officers. Police dogs are a LE tool... same as a squad car. It's a dog, not a human being. For the sake of Pete... anyone ever been arrested for assaulting a squad car?

Just had to get that off my chest....................

And I even like dogs.

Back to topic....

CarrieTheBassist

imported post

MK wrote:
Unless I was sure that dog had a good chance of killing me solo or at least tearing a limb from my body, I would do anything not to shoot it. Unlike a human, you should be able to easily out think and evade any dog. Jump on a car, climb a tree, try intimidating it. They just aren't as maniacal as a human threat can be.

Even attacking it might send it fleeing or at least keep it at a distance. Unless its a super huge and strong dog, I think I can take it mano e dogo in hand to paw combat.

Firing a weapon, especially in town, against a dog might get you in serious trouble. Alot of people who may make up a jury, might not recognize it as the same threat you might feel it is.

Now two sizable dogs packed up and attacking is a serious deadly threat.They may be able to incapacitate you rather quickly. I would be alot less hesistant to use my firearm if faced with two or more dogs about to attack me.
I agree. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting a dog in town. My town is very small and there are too many kids to just shoot a dog, if I can do something else to take it down. (I'd still carry, but it would be a last resort)

choover

imported post

I think the bottom line in any shooting is if your asking yourself before you pull the trigger if its legal then it is not. In a case where you have to resort to lethal force your body is going to react and your going to be thinking about survival and not if your shooting is or is not justified. Shooting is something you do when you have no other choice to live, avoid grave bodily harm or sexual penetration.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I say shoot if you are in danger. I got chewed up pretty good by my neighbors dog in my own yard last summer. Since then I always carry outside. Thank god there was a branch on the ground where this 100lbs + dog (shep. mix) attacked me or he'd still be gnawing on my skeleton :uhoh: I'm sure it was a site to see, me bloodied up doing cave man style battle with this dog...He's still alive but doesn't pose a threat after the pounding he took to the head. I fared better - stitches: hands, feet, legs.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

This decision was made at close range, and happened suddenly, I beleive the time frame of under 2 seconds was brought up. And if you have a problem being ready to defend yourself, then carrying a gun is something you should reconsider.

eastmeyers

imported post

Okay I can't believe that I am going to admit this on here because you guys are going to relentlessly make fun of me, but here it goes...

I had just gotten off of work (private police and armed guard stuff in Detroit), I had stopped on my way home and picked up some firewood. It was about 5:30am, I pulled my car right into my back yard so I could unload the firewood from my trunk onto my back porch. I had noticed a opossum in the back part of the yard by the fence and didn't think anything of it. At about the third trip back and forth from the car I turned around and it was right in front of me, I was between it and my car. I went to walk to the side to avoid it and it came closer got on its hind legs (stood up kinda) stuck out its nails (clawing towards me in the air) and hissing. The thing that was running through my mind was aren't opossums suppose to act dead around people not try to attack them, I hope this thing doesn't have rabies! Ahh! So in one swoop I drew my Glock 21 .45acp and dropped one single JHP in the dead center of its chest. It fell over, got up and crawled in a small circle for about a minute before croaking. I holstered my weapon and called the police department immediately to tell them what happened, and these were their exact words, "you got a shovel?", "yeah", "well than why are you calling us, throw it away".

That is my animal SF story, LOL!

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

God Bless

eastmeyers

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
opossum vs .45? geez. :D

How were your ears?

Fine, it was only one shoot, I made a phone call to PD less than a minute later and I was fine, I was out in the open, not too close to anywalls, and not inclosed at all. A little ringing fine by the time I woke up after my morning nap.

God Bless

lil_freak_66

imported post

them things can be real aggressive sometimes,i had to get one with a golf club once,it got caught in a trash bag and once i helped it out it hissed and walked at me

i was 12 i think.

ive since had close encounters with bear twice,but never shot an animal,or anything in SD.

Bronson

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
So in one swoop I drew my Glock 21 .45acp and dropped one single JHP in the dead center of its chest. It fell over, got up and crawled in a small circle for about a minute before croaking.
But how could that be?!?! He should have flown backwards 20 feet with his twitching corpse ripped into two pieces. ;);)

For all those people who think they'll only have to shoot an attacker once or twice to stop him, think back on this story and remember how a 12 lb oppossum took a .45 hollow point to the chest at close range and took a full minute to stop moving.

Bronson

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
You too:)

I was curious, in case I had to fire in defense without my ears on.
I was about 10 feet away from a .45 ND inside a house (the round hit a TV).

My ears rang for awhile, but it was no worse than a mild rock concert. No lasting tinnitus -- my hearing is still pretty good, in fact.

Bronson

imported post

I once fired a .357 magnum round at an indoor range, that was basically a concrete bunker, withthe left side of my muffs off my ear. I had forgotten to put my muff back on and none of my friends noticed. When I fired the gun the pressure wave made it feel like my head nearly popped. I put the gun down and walked out of the range. I had a massive headache for a few hours and my left ear rang and itsounded like it was packed with cotton for three days.

Bronson

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bronson wrote:
I once fired a .357 magnum round at an indoor range, that was basically a concrete bunker, with the left side of my muffs off my ear.  I had forgotten to put my muff back on and none of my friends noticed.  When I fired the gun the pressure wave made it feel like my head nearly popped.  I put the gun down and walked out of the range.  I had a massive headache for a few hours and my left ear rang and it sounded like it was packed with cotton for three days.

Bronson
Exactly why my first range experience with a .357 was enough to convince me I don't want to have to fire one of those in a SD scenario (except I didn't have to take my ears off for the blast to cause this conclusion :lol:).

I'll stick with the nice, low-pressure .45 ACP. My hearing is seriously valuable to me.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

My x girlfreind had a ND with a 30-06 in our livingroom. I was about 3 feet away. I remember watching the tv for a minute wiiting for the sound to come back. The police told me to quit shouting at him, I said I diddnt know I was shouting. He told me, that I was still shouting. :?No charges were filed. I just wasnt sure what a pistol round would be like.

I never fixed the hole, just stuck a picture frame around it instead.:cool:

:cuss:I tried to upload the picture, but got a message saying the picture was too big, and I dont know how to change it.