• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deterred mugging... stolen cop cars...

lil_freak_66

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
Michigander wrote:
I would definitely say the deterrent thing came into play. They didn't notice we were armed until they'd approached us, and once they did they backed off fast.

One other thing, Evil. On off road vehicles they often call them "brush guards". On American V8 kop cars they usually call them "push bumpers". ;)
...well, I prefer off road vehicles :dude:

And I'm sure up in da U.P. they even call them 'brush guards' on 'kop' cars :celebrate
perhaps thats because da cops offroad da cop cars probably eh?

Savage.Detroit

imported post

Michigander wrote:
It definitely happened.

It's rather sad how screwed up the area is. There was an empty Sheriff's sub station, and the only cops we saw were actually kids who stole cop cars. A number of people we walked by audibly exclaimed statements of amazement over seeing 3 white people in the area. And it's a damn stones throw from Ferndale. It has always disgusted me that so many people are voluntarily willing to racially segregate themselves from other areas due to cultural pressure. :?

Wayne or Oakland Sheriff? I haven't seen an news yet about it. Has anyone?

LaVere

imported post

Pit Manuver Rack or Cow catchers like on trains

4587040893_498ff6b168.jpg

manicdevery

imported post

I think walking around unarmed, or CC, is asking for trouble. Why let bad places get worse. I'm not saying we should all be batman but we should deffinatley not be victims

Slave

imported post

Yikes, that is what I was thinking. Self defense includes avoiding situations you know are unsafe, so since you don't even live there, why walk around there at night?

I am glad you guys are okay.

autosurgeon

imported post

I have been known to go through the bad parts of Benton Harbor OC on my Motorcycle... It comes down to I am not going to be intimidated into taking a 7 mile detour by some wannabe tough guys.

firespec35

imported post

Its different if you have business in the area ie. Passing through, or going to a business, or going to visit a friend. The OP specifically said he was told these were the naughty areas when he was growing up. Sounds like the grown up equivalent of a few kids playing in a burned out building just because they could. And there was no OC education opportunity there either other than maybe getting screwed with by the overworked PD that are working the area if they even had time to see them. I'm not sure who does their police now. I'm pretty sure ferndale does the fire.

autosurgeon

imported post

firespec35 wrote:
Its different if you have business in the area ie. Passing through, or going to a business, or going to visit a friend. The OP specifically said he was told these were the naughty areas when he was growing up. Sounds like the grown up equivalent of a few kids playing in a burned out building just because they could. And there was no OC education opportunity there either other than maybe getting screwed with by the overworked PD that are working the area if they even had time to see them. I'm not sure who does their police now. I'm pretty sure ferndale does the fire.
You have to remember that in these BAD areas there are usually quite a few good people that very well could have been educated by this OC walk... just BC they did not come up and talk to them does not mean that education did NOT happen!

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

wait - a - minute !

These areOUR streets,OUR cities, and OUR neighborhoods! not the thugs, bangers, and criminals. They forfeit that when they become criminals, we are taxpayers, this is our country. LET THEM BE AFRAID TO WALK THE STREETS NOT US!!! Let them be afraid to come into our neighborhoods, schools, and homes. Let them carry their guns concealed! We will go where we please, and carry our guns proudly!

Sorry to shout, but this idea of avoiding "bad" neighborhoods really ierks me, this is supposed to be the land of the free, not the land of the freak.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

That was pretty much it. The thought in our heads was 'wow, I've lived here this long and have no idea what is between [point A] and [point B]. Lets go explore it a little so we are better aware of our surrounding areas.'

It was pretty much educational for me, and while I technically live in a different city, to say I don't 'live there' is not necessarily true. Our walk was two miles, tops. I'm right on the border.

Besides, with an area so strained and stretched, police wise, it would seem to me that a group of OCers passing through every so often would do the area more good than harm.

Edited to Add:

We actually spotted the stolen cop cars in Ferndale.

firespec35

imported post

#1 there isn't a street in this state I'm afraid to walk down armed or not. I work in highland park 12 hours a day 7 of 14 days doing EMS. Yeah those buildings that yall drive past on woodward and go "Wow that's screwed up" I've probably dragged someone out of. Those "good people" you speak of are the reason I stay in HP and don't go get a cushy job taking grandma to dialysis. That being that, I'm not going to hang out there for no reason or go exploring. I'm not saying alter your plans in regards to bad areas but be able to go home to your famlies at night cause I gaurantee the BG's either saw or heard about you guys. One with a wild hair up his ass and an AK and you would have been 3 bodies for the ME to pick up OC or not.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

firespec35 wrote:
#1 there isn't a street in this state I'm afraid to walk down armed or not. I work in highland park 12 hours a day 7 of 14 days doing EMS. Yeah those buildings that yall drive past on woodward and go "Wow that's screwed up" I've probably dragged someone out of. Those "good people" you speak of are the reason I stay in HP and don't go get a cushy job taking grandma to dialysis. That being that, I'm not going to hang out there for no reason or go exploring. I'm not saying alter your plans in regards to bad areas but be able to go home to your famlies at night cause I gaurantee the BG's either saw or heard about you guys. One with a wild hair up his ass and an AK and you would have been 3 bodies for the ME to pick up OC or not.
Beats the hell out of being lost in these areas