• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alabama AG Opinions: Only one Pistol

MSteve

imported post

So, I have nothing better to do with my free time and was browsing the AG Opinions. I think I read every opinion that has anything to do with firearms and came across this one:

http://www.ago.alabama.gov/oldopinions/8100044.pdf

Has anyone else seen this? Yes, I realise it discusses concealed carry (feel free to delete if it annoys anyone too much), butthis is the only forum I havefound with a significant number of actual Alabama residents familiar with AL firearms laws.It appears to say that you can only have one pistol on you at a time. Does anyone else know of anything more recent? If it's there I haven't found it.

eye95

imported post

Well, if that opinion is still in force, then it is of interest to OC in Alabama since we need a permit as a matter of practicality to get from one place of OC to another.

AL Ranger

imported post

The criminal code 13A-11-75 does mention it is a license for A pistol, not PISTOLS. So, if you have a concealed license you can carry as many as you want openly and one concealed. That makes sense to me! LOL

eye95

imported post

So, if a law said that it was legal for a person to own a house, they may only own one?

I'd love to hear from a lawyer, or a law student, as to how the word "a" is interpreted in court. Does it mean "one"?

Of course, everything hangs on what the meaning of "is" is.

MSteve

imported post

The real concern to me is the vehicle. While I rarely carry multiple on my person, I do carry multiple in my vehicle when headed to the range. It would seem a little idiotic to have one up front and the rest locked in the trunk:quirky.

cowboy67

imported post

EYE95 wrote:
So, if a law said that it was legal for a person to own a house, they may only own one?

I'd love to hear from a lawyer, or a law student, as to how the word "a" is interpreted in court. Does it mean "one"?

Of course, everything hangs on what the meaning of "is" is.
Yes, even slick Willy don't know what the meaning of the word" is" is! LOL

eye95

imported post

47_MasoN_47 wrote:
My local Sheriff says I can CC as many as I want.
Well, we all know how well we can rely on what a sheriff says. About all its worth is to find out what they will and won't hassle you for! :lol::lol:

steveman01

imported post

That was dated 1980 holmes.You must have really been browsin' to get into that old stuff!They got rid of the whole "qualified" and "unlimited" permit junk that restricted CC abilities. Don't now where right off hand but do some more super browsing and you'll find it. lol.

49er

imported post

Section 1-1-2
Tenses; gender; singular and plural; joint authority.
Words used in this Code in the past or present tense include the future, as well as the past and present. Words used in the masculine gender include the feminine and neuter. The singular includes the plural, and the plural the singular. All words giving a joint authority to three or more persons or officers give such authority to a majority of such persons or officers, unless it is otherwise declared.

(Code 1852, §§1, 3; Code 1867, §§1, 3; Code 1876, §§1, 3; Code 1886, §§1, 3; Code 1896, §§1, 3; Code 1907, §§1, 3; Code 1923, §§1, 3, 9533; Code 1940, T. 1, §1.)

Kirbinator

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
I enjoy the fact I can carry as many pistols Concealed asI want. I want to look like Neo in the Matrix. Trench Coat.... 40 guns. LOL

If I did that, then had to open the coat to get my wallet at a store.... is that brandishing?
Not as long as you don't unholster a single one.

steveman01

imported post

Thewhole "tense" thing got me rememberinghow intelligent the founders were when drafting those precious documents. They covered the 2A perfectly...

The right to keep- (present tense) owning, possession,storing, maintaining.

and bear- (present tense) using, wearing/carrying, transporting, producing.

arms- (plural) implements of war, weaponry: firearms, ammo, blades, explosive ordinance, shields/armor, ect.

shall not be unreasonablyinfringed- (present and future tense) :cuss:

that's how it always ends up right? I was unaware of a justices power to rewrite a constitutional amendment as he/she/both sees fit.But whose gonna stop them, the people? hah.What justice was it that put that interjection in there again?(D.C. v Heller) ? oh ya, Stevens and heller's attorney agreed.:banghead:Don't be mistaken thatcase did more harm than good!

Most of you know this already, but it's nice to revisit once in a while. They covered it all. All flavors and fashions. What good does keeping arms do if you cannot bear them? And obviously have none to bear if you cannot keep. It's flawless if you ask me. Most importantly they new something that most today do not. That this rightisan unlimited right. If we give up one little piece (like the interjection) next thing you know the dam has fallen. For who is to define what unreasonable is?

No government should own any arms that the people cannot. No Nukes or bio'sshould exist, everything else is fair game.

If they wanted to enforce the laws by the tense in which they are written, would that mean if we wanted to bear arms we would have to carry 2 or more? Enjoy!:celebrate

eye95

imported post

"Shall not be infringed" is a future tense. The past participle is indicating that, at the point in the future, the action will be (or, in this case, will not be allowed to be) completed. In other words, at no time in the future should we look back and find that our right has already been infringed.

eye95

imported post

stuckinchico wrote:
Ummmm when im on duty i have one concealed shirt holster under my vest then one on my duty belt does this meet his opinion??? Opinions are like A**holes everyones got one
Read 49er's post above. The singular includes the plural. So, you're good to go.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

Mike wrote:
So open carry your primary sidearm, and conceal your back up. Easy.
The way this was explained to me, was when this AG opinion was made in 1980, we had to register the SN of the weapon so the permit only applied to only one weapon. We don't register the SN on permits anymore so this AG opinion is outdated and no longer valid.