• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Haven Open Carry

Rich B

imported post

Has anyone been open carrying in New Haven? Is anyone up on ordinances and policies for New Haven? I am considering that as my next big place to open carry heavily, especially in the downtown area (Church and Chapel, etc).

I found this:
http://library6.municode.com/default-now/home.htm?infobase=14668&doc_action=whatsnew

Which reads:
(12) Firearms. It shall be unlawful for any person to bring into or have in his/her possession in any park or recreation area:
(i) Any pistol, revolver or object(s) in which loaded or blank cartridges may be used, except for official starters at authorized track and field events.
(ii) Any burglar tool(s), implement(s) or similar equipment.
(iii) Any rifle, shotgun, air gun, spring gun, slingshot, bow or other weapon in which the propelling force is gunpowder, a spring or compressed air.

This is really the only major thing I am seeing in the ordinances. My question about that is whether or not the greens are considered parks. Normally I would lean towards saying they are, but then I recall the Wooster Square self defense shooting where no charges were filed, and he was sitting in a green (probably more of a park than the major green).

Does anyone have advice/experience/wisdom they want to share on this?

Hawkmoon

imported post

I discussed open carry with two younger New Haven police officers at the range. They both told me that open carry is not legal in Connecticut. When I explained to them that it IS legal, they said they didn't believe me, and that they were taught at the (state) police academy that open carry is not legal. Accordingly, I think if you intend to open carry in New Haven you should expect to be detained (at best) and most likely arrested. If you are not in a position to defend agsinst an improper arrest, don't risk it.

Hawkmoon

imported post

Rich B wrote:
JohnO wrote:
The New Haven Green is private property.
Who does it belong to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Haven_Green

Descendants of the city's original settlers maintain ownership of the green. There are five members of the committee that oversee the large, main portion of the green. Today's committee members — called proprietors — are drawn from the ranks of prominent city residents. Members are appointed for life, and when one dies the four remaining members convene in private to select a replacement.

Rich B

imported post

Hawkmoon wrote:
Who does it belong to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Haven_Green

Descendants of the city's original settlers maintain ownership of the green. There are five members of the committee that oversee the large, main portion of the green. Today's committee members — called proprietors — are drawn from the ranks of prominent city residents. Members are appointed for life, and when one dies the four remaining members convene in private to select a replacement.
[/quote]

Good, then there is no need for me to avoid open carrying there since I saw no posted signs at all. I had avoided walking through the green just in case it was considered part of the parks and rec area where it is against the ordinance.

Thanks for the info.

Hawkmoon

imported post

The fact that the New Haven Green is technically/legally NOT public property is a bit of esoterica unknown to most people even in New Haven. I believe the Green is maintained by the city Parks and Rec department, and I'd venture to guess that not one out of 100 New Haven police officers has any idea that the Green is not a public park. That could make you a test case. If you're up for that ... fine. I don't think I'd care to be.

mrjam2jab

imported post

Hawkmoon wrote:
I discussed open carry with two younger New Haven police officers at the range. They both told me that open carry is not legal in Connecticut. When I explained to them that it IS legal, they said they didn't believe me, and that they were taught at the (state) police academy that open carry is not legal. Accordingly, I think if you intend to open carry in New Haven you should expect to be detained (at best) and most likely arrested. If you are not in a position to defend agsinst an improper arrest, don't risk it.

When next you see those fellows....ask them to show you what statute makes it illegal....;)

Rich B

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
When next you see those fellows....ask them to show you what statute makes it illegal....;)

Not only that, but get their names and badge numbers so that the Chief of the New Haven Police can be contacted and informed that two of their officers are trained to make false arrests.