Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New PBS news series debuts tonight with story on the open carry movement!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

FROM Today's Open Carry Movement Facebook Group Alert:

Subject: New PBS news series debuts tonight with story on the open carry movement!
    Open carriers:

The new PBS news series "Need to Know" debuts tonight with coverage of the open carry movement!

In Fairfax County, VA it's on at 9 PM on Cox cable at channel 26 (WETA).

http://www.facebook.com/l/acdfa;www..../program/2222:

"The premiere of the public affairs magazine is expected to feature the . . . "open-carry" gun movement . . ."

Sombody please Utube the OC story video!

Carry on!

Mike & John

Post imported post

i wonder if they are going to spin it?

i'll miss it first run but my station (KETC) is re-airing it at 12:30am and again Sunday and Monday at midnight. it should be good for a watch at the least.

I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Post imported post

DirecTV has blacked it out here in Michigan until the Sunday replay. I've set it to record on that date. BTW don't get hopes up, Bloomberg and Clinton are the featured 'experts'.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Mike wrote:

Sombody please Utube the OC story video!

Carry on!

Mike & John
    Yes Please Youtube.

Thanks!

Post imported post

For those of us in NC with Suddenlink, this is on at 11:00pm tonight, on WUNK Greenville and WUNC-HD Chapel Hill.

I've got it DVR'd...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

During their never-ending begging-for-money Pledge Drives several times a year, PBS constantlyadvertises they are "an alternative to public tv." They're eitherlying or in-denial because in reality,they are just another shameless, progressive/liberal mouthpiece...whetherit be Sesame St. for kids or their adult "news" shows, POVproductions or specials like Ken Burns 'historical' pieces. See all the PCstuff contained therein (much like American history textbooks nowadays -- liberal/PC revisionism).

Consequently, I do not support PBS ($$), never will, nor do I expect anything based in reality from them, let alone anything pro-gun.

-- John D.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

Well, was very interested until slick willy and bloomy were the featured hosts (propagandists)

How far we have come though. When I got into firearms in '67 and until the mid eighties the second amendment lobby played defense only trying to stop anti-gun ownership laws from passing. Today, we are one of the strongest lobbies in Washington due in part of the internet which organized and galvanized the pro second amendment movement. The very idea of open carry is an afront to the anti-gun movement whose influence in the last number of years has declined very rapidly. If I was anti-gun zealot, I would be very upset with the movement for failing miserably by having 40 states pass shall issue permit laws. Over 70 percent of the country's population live in a shall issue state. Over 5 million permit holders and growing. An anti-gun movement who can't move forward even with a zealot like O'Bama with a Democratic Party controlled congress.

Sorry to ramble, but this old man has seen many changes and we must galvanize our votes in November to keep the momentum .

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

c45man wrote:

Sorry to ramble, but this old man has seen many changes and we must galvanize our votes in November to keep the momentum .

Thank You!

Post imported post

Just watched it.. up to the point when "Slick Willy" came on...

Absolutely loved the segment where the Prez/founder? of MGO (I missed that bit of who he was) was talking about folks carrying guns on airplanes.. and the interviewer said something shocking (paraphrased) about gun fights on planes being a good thing... and the MGO guy came back with (paraphrased) a gun fight on a plane on 9/11 would have been better than having the plane flown into an office building.

And the interviewer had no response... no come back... nothing at all to say...

And then, later, Bloomberg was disingenuous with talking about how New York has such a low murder rate because strict gun laws do not allow guns in the streets. Even as he spoke the words his body language showed his evasiveness... or so I read it that way.

And, although the program started out with a statement that it would present the issues without the slogans... the slant was definitely ......... left. But then hey, it was PBS after all.

And, considering it was PBS, it wasn't a hit piece.... as much as I expected it to be.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

Bikenut wrote:

Absolutely loved the segment where the Prez/founder? of MGO (I missed that bit of who he was) was talking about folks carrying guns on airplanes.. and the interviewer said something shocking (paraphrased) about gun fights on planes being a good thing... and the MGO guy came back with (paraphrased) a gun fight on a plane on 9/11 would have been better than having the plane flown into an office building.

And the interviewer had no response... no come back... nothing at all to say...

And then, later, Bloomberg was disingenuous with talking about how New York has such a low murder rate because strict gun laws do not allow guns in the streets. Even as he spoke the words his body language showed his evasiveness... or so I read it that way.

And, although the program started out with a statement that it would present the issues without the slogans... the slant was definitely ......... left. But then hey, it was PBS after all.

And, considering it was PBS, it wasn't a hit piece.... as much as I expected it to be.
    great minds think alike,this was my take on the program

sprat

Post imported post

Very telling to me how the NRA didn't go to bat for OC on that show. I've sent them thousands over the years and I don't think I'm getting real value for my money anymore.

Post imported post

Bikenut wrote:

That was Larry Pratt, President of Gun Owners of America. The President Clinton segment had nothing to do with the Gun segment. I watched the segment and as other articles and news stories have done in the past, they started out talking about Open Carry then derailed into talking about concealed carry and other gun issues.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

I didn't think the piece was all that bad, really. I was expecting much more left-slant than I saw, honestly.

Post imported post

Got interrupted when they were talking that some states passed or havelegistion pendingthat if the gun is made in that state, the residents can buy without back ground checks etc. Did I hear that right?

Post imported post

DonM2 wrote:
    Got interrupted when they were talking that some states passed or havelegistion pendingthat if the gun is made in that state, the residents can buy without back ground checks etc. Did I hear that right?
    That was in reference to the Firearms Freedom Acts that several states have enacted. Basically, they're trumping Federal Law - if the State requires the background check, it would still be required. But the Fed check would not be.

Post imported post

Pretty much fair and balanced until NYC Mayor Bumbleberg gave his anti-gun spin.

Sure wish PBS would travel to Arizona to gather OUR views on Open Carry.....

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Post imported post

Didn't mention OCDO once! It was all VCDL!

Post imported post

Here is the link to the PBS site that has the whole show!

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know...l-episode/523/

http://washoecountygunrights.blogspot.com/

*** I am NOT a Lawyer, and I DO NOT have any LEGAL EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS ***

MOLON LABE

Regular Member NewZealandAmerican's Avatar
    Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb of Provo in UTAH

Post imported post

Mas49.56 wrote:
    Very telling to me how the NRA didn't go to bat for OC on that show. I've sent them thousands over the years and I don't think I'm getting real value for my money anymore.
    Forget the NRA, they give us token measures in the fight for freedom and gun rights. They're in bed with the BATFE. when you sleep with the mother harlot of whoresyou get diseased! You cannot trust the NRA, yeah they sell you a false bill of goods give you the illusion that they're for the right to bear arms without govt interference whatsoever, but they are not fully true and on our side. If I were to side with any movement for right to bear arms it is right here, we the people on OpenCarry.org and my other choice is http://www.JPFO.org Don't waste another hard earned federal reserve note on the NRA!
    (Dion Wood). MY FREEDOM PAGE[/COLOR] with valuable links to ALTERNATIVE MEDIA, Internet Radio shows and other sites to restore our FREEDOM & LIBERTYhttp://www.QRZ.com/db/KB9QFH TELEPHONE: +1(800)808-KIWI that's +1(800)808-5494 Tollfree. "NewZealander By Birth, American By The Grace Of God." See also http://www.facebook.com/NewZealandAmerican & http://RTR.org/NewZealandAmerican “IN MEMORY OF OUR GOD, OUR RELIGION, AND FREEDOM, AND OUR PEACE, OUR WIVES, AND OUR CHILDREN" (The Title Of LIBERTY)

Regular Member the last gunfighter's Avatar

Post imported post

Born and raised in NJ 30 min from NYC still get NY newspapers here in PA. What Mayor Bloomberg said in that segment was him LYING through his teeth. He's been sending his private detectives to other states gun shows to jump their laws and he has been told off by the Governors of those states to mind his own business. And the murder rate in NYC is not at it lowest they did a story in the NY Daily news that it's up and rising fast.
    This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

Post imported post

john-in-reno wrote:
    Here is the link to the PBS site that has the whole show!

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know...l-episode/523/
    can somebody YouTube just theOC movement part?

Post imported post

A couple of comments - I think Ed and his folks did great - vey calm, normal appearing etc.

Studies - When Ed was confronted with the issue of "studies" saying guns = crime/death in homes, he did good by pointing out that these studies are the ones touted by the anti-gun group but Ed did not get in the 2d point that the antis don;t bring up all the other more recent studies which conlude that gun ownership does not lead to more crime, murder, suicide, e.g., prof Kates study published by harvard, Prof. Centerwall's study cited by kates, the U of Maryland/U of Michigan study showing gun show restrictions do not reduce crime, etc. This is a softball question - a must have answer is a 1-2 combination to deal with it effectively - the competing studies response works great - the policy issue becomes a tie, moot, and the right to bear arms wins

Locked and cocked carry - at one point Ed was confronted by a bystander for carrying his gun witht he trigger back - somebody muttered somthing about the safety being on - a more effective response would be to concisely explain that "in order to engage the safety on this gun, the hammer must be locked back." The locked and cocked gun problem though is a real problem - I believe it was raised as a fact in the "fish or man" prosecutiion in Washington state as somthing liklely to raise alarm in public places. I think that open carry of these types of locked and cocked type guns should be avoided for exactly this reason - in the vast majoirty of people, it is seem as an unsafe act to carry a gun like that, and ragrdless, simply scarry because the gun looks like it could go off at any moment. I realize that this is not factually correct, but it is true none the less that the gun will appear to be far more dangerous and intimidating than a normal gun carried with the hammer down.

This is a publicity game and when you carry a gun, small facts matter largely.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    ...Locked and cocked carry - at one point Ed was confronted by a bystander for carrying his gun witht he trigger back - somebody muttered somthing about the safety being on - a more effective response would be to concisely explain that "in order to engage the safety on this gun, the hammer must be locked back." The locked and cocked gun problem though is a real problem - I believe it was raised as a fact in the "fish or man" prosecutiion in Washington state as somthing liklely to raise alarm in public places. I think that open carry of these types of locked and cocked type guns should be avoided for exactly this reason - in the vast majoirty of people, it is seem as an unsafe act to carry a gun like that, and ragrdless, simply scarry because the gun looks like it could go off at any moment. I realize that this is not factually correct, but it is true none the less that the gun will appear to be far more dangerous and intimidating than a normal gun carried with the hammer down...
    I think that those with little to no firearms knowledge wouldn't know cocked and locked from condition 3. This group would likely either be scared or indifferent, regardless of condition of carry.Those with just a bit of knowledgeto recognize condition 1could view it as scary (albeit incorrect), but I don't think that this represents the vast majority. The last group, being themost knowledgeable, would appreciate the safety of condition 1.

Post imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
    Consequently, I do not support PBS ($$), never will, nor do I expect anything based in reality from them, let alone anything pro-gun.

-- John D.
    Well, not supporting PBS would be pretty difficult, unless you live in a cave. They get substantial funding from the Federal Government, which comes from your tax dollars. One of their major contributors is the Rockefeller Foundation, so if you use coal or oil, or anything that is powered by coal or oil, they get your money there. IBM is also a major sponsor of PBS, so if you use the internet, they're getting your money there. BP, Shell, and Exxon all are major contributors, so if yo buy those brands of gasoline, they're getting your money.

It's like The Partnership for a Drug Free America (remember those old "this is your brain on drugs" commercials?) Their MAIN corporate sponsor was Frito-Lay. I always found it ironic that every stoner in America was contributing to their own demise when they got the munchies...

See, the "economy of propaganda" of our country is so intertwined and incestuous, that it's difficult to live in our society without inadvertently "donating" money to a cause you disagree with.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Forty-five wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    ...Locked and cocked carry - at one point Ed was confronted by a bystander for carrying his gun witht he trigger back - somebody muttered somthing about the safety being on - a more effective response would be to concisely explain that "in order to engage the safety on this gun, the hammer must be locked back." The locked and cocked gun problem though is a real problem - I believe it was raised as a fact in the "fish or man" prosecutiion in Washington state as somthing liklely to raise alarm in public places. I think that open carry of these types of locked and cocked type guns should be avoided for exactly this reason - in the vast majoirty of people, it is seem as an unsafe act to carry a gun like that, and ragrdless, simply scarry because the gun looks like it could go off at any moment. I realize that this is not factually correct, but it is true none the less that the gun will appear to be far more dangerous and intimidating than a normal gun carried with the hammer down...
    I think that those with little to no firearms knowledge wouldn't know cocked and locked from condition 3. This group would likely either be scared or indifferent, regardless of condition of carry.Those with just a bit of knowledgeto recognize condition 1could view it as scary (albeit incorrect), but I don't think that this represents the vast majority. The last group, being themost knowledgeable, would appreciate the safety of condition 1.
    I have to agree with Mike on this. Appearances do matter. As Open Carriers, we set ourselves up for such confrontations because we draw attention to ourselves. (A gun carried openly in public is still very much an anomoly.) Many people will recognize the hammer being cocked back, and consider it risky. Some may even take it to mean that the carrier is an aggressive sort, as opposed to one who carries for self-defense. (Ed did seem to get a little red while this individual berated him.)

I've talked to a number of police officers that carry SA/DA pistols, and they carry with the hammer down. They don't seem to be bothered by the 1st shot being a harder trigger than those that follow. Also, I seem to remember a "5th rule" from years ago (Boys Life Magazine?): "Never trust the safety on any gun.". I do carry my M&P40c with a round chambered, but there's no "public exposure", and it's not fully cocked (or so I'm told), because these same POs told me that there won't be time to rack the slide.

I was glad to hear Blumberg say that firearms laws are a matter of states' rights. Now if he'd only confine his activities to his state...
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast