• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun-Control Laws by John R. Lott, Jr. - 3rd edition

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

"On its initial publication in 1998, John R. Lott's More Guns, Less Crime drew both lavish praise and heated criticism. More than a decade later, it continues to play a key role in ongoing arguments over gun-control laws: despite all the attacks by gun-control advocates, on one has ever been able to refute Lott's simple, startling conclusion that more guns mean less crime. Relying on the most rigorously comprehensive data analysis ever conducted on crime statistics and right-to-carry laws, the book directly challenges common perceptions about the relationship of guns, crime and violence. For this third edition, Lott draws on an additional ten years of data -- including provocative analysis of the effects of gun bans in Chicago and Washington, DC -- that brings the book fully up to date and further bolsters its central contention.
From the back cover.

I've finally finished my first reading of this fine book. I find it at least as reinforcing of contemporary arguments for liberalizing gun carry as the first edition was in its day. I strongly recommend this third edition and especially for my Wisconsin neighbors. The book covers many contentious issues facing advocates of liberalizing gun carry in Wisconsin; fees, training, concealed/open carry just to name a few.

[sub]Personal attack deleted[/sub]