Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Monroe incident highlights questions about shooting animals

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,863

    Post imported post

    Monroe dog park incident spotlights self-defense against animals

    In a classic “he said, she said” situation, there were apparently no witnesses to the incident. Dee told KOMO News that the dogs were “scrapping.” Rasmussen said the bulldog grabbed his pet’s throat and would not let go. Dee said Rasmussen told her to “leave the park, and I am going to shoot your dog.” Rasmussen denies that account.


    http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m5d7-Monroe-dog-park-story-spotlights-selfdefense-against-animals

    Or try this:

    http://tinyurl.com/2bnofar


  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    54

    Post imported post

    Well, you're always going to have 'he said, she said' in any disagreement without witnesses. My understanding is that if an animal attacks my dog (a domestic animal) on my property, I'm free to kill the attacker, no worries. Things become less clear when in a public place.

    Perhaps the big lesson is "If you draw your gun, use it as a gun, not a club". Drawing a gun to pistol-whip the attacking dog, and then shooting the dog accidentally - I'm sorry but I think that's either a) an attempt to back away from the shooting, or b) irritatingly stupid.

    If you want to club an attacking dog, use your foot or a rock.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    178

    Post imported post

    MrGray wrote:
    Well, you're always going to have 'he said, she said' in any disagreement without witnesses. My understanding is that if an animal attacks my dog (a domestic animal) on my property, I'm free to kill the attacker, no worries. Things become less clear when in a public place.

    Perhaps the big lesson is "If you draw your gun, use it as a gun, not a club". Drawing a gun to pistol-whip the attacking dog, and then shooting the dog accidentally - I'm sorry but I think that's either a) an attempt to back away from the shooting, or b) irritatingly stupid.

    If you want to club an attacking dog, use your foot or a rock.
    i could see myself using my CZ as a club in an attempt to break up a dog fight. but i dont see why the gun would go off "accidently". if youre going to use a gun as a club dont have it cocked or dont have yer finger on the trigger. (depending on type of gun)

    -matt

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    If I were to use my gun as a club, it would be because the bullets had no effect and I was out of ammo. Very unlikely.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Ajetpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Olalla, Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,410

    Post imported post

    Trigger Dr wrote:
    If I were to use my gun as a club, it would be because the bullets had no effect and I was out of ammo. Very unlikely.
    Exactly! In all situations, not just dogs.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    54

    Post imported post

    Matt85 wrote:
    i could see myself using my CZ as a club in an attempt to break up a dog fight. but i dont see why the gun would go off "accidently". if youre going to use a gun as a club dont have it cocked or dont have yer finger on the trigger.
    I can imagine lots of weirdness happening. The dogs are fighting, and one of them tries to grab the gun in its mouth, one long canine tooth goes inside the trigger guard. The dog's tags or collar buckle get tangled in the trigger guard. The other dog's owner grabs the muzzle of the gun, there's a wrestling match for possession, and the other dog's owner jams his thumb into the trigger.

    Numerous ways for an unwanted discharge to happen. None of them can happen with a foot or rock.

    All of this ignores the other obvious problem - you go to pistol whip the dog, the dog lets go of the the other dog and grabs your hand AND the gun. Now, you'd sort of like to be able to change plan and shoot the dog, but unfortunately the dog has partial control of the gun. You're screwed until you can get the gun loose. And in the mean time, the dog is yanking away on the hand and the gun.

    If you want to shoot, take out the gun. If you want to hit, use something else.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    MrGray wrote:
    I can imagine lots of weirdness happening. The dogs are fighting, and one of them tries to grab the gun in its mouth, one long canine tooth goes inside the trigger guard.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA, ,
    Posts
    886

    Post imported post

    Ajetpilot wrote:
    Trigger Dr wrote:
    If I were to use my gun as a club, it would be because the bullets had no effect and I was out of ammo. Very unlikely.
    Exactly! In all situations, not just dogs.
    "If somebody is going to kill me with my own gun, he's going to have to beat me to death with it, because it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith,Director of Thunder Ranch

    Idrew on an agressive dog a little over a year ago as it was quickly approaching me (thoughI was more concerned about my two toddlers at 'snout level' ina stroller being pushed by my wife a few feet ahead). Thank God I did not have to fire, but I was not going to try and beat the dog with the gun. That's poor judgment. Wear real shoes, not flip-flops, and then you get to keep your face & neck areas out of the dogfight.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •