Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Governor is expected to sign bill to allow CPL holders

Post imported post

Gov. Jennifer Granholm is expected to sign bills that would allow hunters, law enforcement officials, and CPL holders to shoot wild, roaming swine that have damaged crops in Michigan.

http://www.wnem.com/news/23485757/detail.html

and below is the bill

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...0-HNB-5822.htm
    I'm not a lawyer, psychologist, or LEO. This means, don't rely on my opinion to work for you.
    But I am a railroad conductor.
    “Breathes their a man with a soul so dead, that does not thrill to the sound of a passing train?”

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Does this mean that CPL holders technically always have a hunting license on them?

:-P

Post imported post

Hush before they see a loophole..

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Post imported post

Hmmm...wild roaming swine that do damage....some would refer to my local politicians as such, but I digress.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Post imported post

I wasn't aware we had such a rampant swine problem...

Post imported post

scot623 wrote:
    They are bad and getting worse. They are very destructive. Kill 'em all.

Post imported post

Hmmm now those MI pistols will have a new use!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

mmmmm bacon mmmmmmmmm

Post imported post

maahes wrote:
    mmmmm bacon mmmmmmmmm
    Indeed. They are good eating.

Post imported post

scot623 wrote:

on the public land in clinton county ive seen a few of them,or signs of them...for a bit over a year.

thisparticular year ive seen them,or signs of them every time ive been out there(this is near the dnr ran shooting range @ rose lake)

iirc,they are legal to hunt with ANY hunting permit,year round,night or day.

btw...brian,why haveyounever told us you've been shot before?!

(see below pic)

apparently the guy that shot it was like 12
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

LF said "apparently the guy that shot it was like 12"feet the other side of that regular sized hog! That pic is "red-neck-photo-shopped if you ask me.springerdave.

Post imported post

actually its legit,its hogzilla,been featured several times on tv,including monsterquest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogzilla

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Right they buried it and then couldn't find the carcass to verify it. The story stinks more than a dead hog.springerdave.

Post imported post

The animal's remains were exhumed in early 2005 and studied by scientists for a documentary. In March 2005, these scientists confirmed that Hogzilla actually weighed 800pounds (360kg) and was between 6.9feet (2.1m) and 8.6feet (2.6m) long

:what:

i wanna go pig huntin now...

Banned

Post imported post

this is gonna be fun.

Post imported post

Chances of you getting close enough to a hog with a pistol are pretty slim. They are smart suckers and are sneaky as all can be. Most guys hunt them with dogs or shoot them at long ranges with rifles.

Banned

Post imported post

Wasnt sure. Still though, we can settle the 9vs45 thing

Post imported post

all the times ive seen hog in michigan its been 100-300 yards,which i am not confident in taking that shot with a bead sight smooth bore 16 ga. while standing...at a moving target

one of these days though....

Post imported post

(3) A person who possesses a license to carry a concealed pistol issued under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, or a valid hunting license for any game issued under part 435 of the natural resources and environmental protection act, 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.43501 to 324.43561, may kill a swine running at large on public property. A person may kill swine running at large on private property if the person is, or is accompanied by or has the permission of, the owner or lessee of the property.
    Interesting things about this bill:
    1. Have a CPL? This bill authorizes such a person to legally carry any Michigan Legal Firearm on Public Land for the purpose of hunting feral swine. In addition, this will be allowed on Private Land with owner/lessee permission.
    2. DNRE definition of Feral Swine seems to indicate that it is technically not hunting to take/harvest them. From the FAQ link below: "Feral swine are not defined as wildlife. Swine are agricultural products."
    3. This bill does not to set any limitations on firearm type, caliber, or cartridge capacity. The DNRE Site lists that you are to follow applicable guidelines for the Open Season you are hunting. Since it is technically "not hunting" since feral swine are "not wildlife", I am not sure that there are any limitations.
    I am thinking that if I am correct, I will be finally funding that Springfield M1A purchase to go have some fun harvesting "agricultural products".

This deserves Sir Dancing Banana! :celebrate

MI DNRE Site for Feral Swine info (including where the suckers are at):
    http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...230---,00.html

Feral Swine FAQ:
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/FAQ_320471_7.pdf

Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

My Mosen Nagant M44 should do quite nicely with 200 Grain Softpoints!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Banned

Post imported post

This is a scam. There are like 3 Wild boars in Michigan. I have contacted the DNR and talked the director of some board of issue's in regards to wild boar to try and find out where all the boar are. They dont even know where the 3 boar are. ALl they know is a few were killed during previous hunting season's. This is a total waste of time.

Post imported post

wardog6d wrote:
    This is a scam. There are like 3 Wild boars in Michigan. I have contacted the DNR and talked the director of some board of issue's in regards to wild boar to try and find out where all the boar are. They dont even know where the 3 boar are. ALl they know is a few were killed during previous hunting season's. This is a total waste of time.
    And you sir most likely believe them about the cougars too...

Lets put it this way I have seen more than three feral pigs roaming together at a time.. and I have seen and heard them in 6 diff places at diff times and hundreds of miles apart.

I have also seen 1 cougar after the owner of a prize winning horse it mauled shot and killed it.. The DNR told us it was not a cougar... they must think we are stupid and blind.

The DNR also says that the wolves in the UP are not the reason the deer herd is so small up there.

Oh and their is a difference between Wild Boars and feral pigs... most of what we have in MI are Feral pigs

Banned

Post imported post

OK Thats cool. My point was that the DNR sucks in regards to there information which is little to non. If these people had any clue Hog hunting would be a new resource for Michigan. Hog's may do damage but they sure are cool and fun to shoot and taste really good.

Post imported post

wardog6d wrote:
    How about here (actual sitings reported to DNRE):

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dn...e_269021_7.pdf

Or here (little light reading - 91 pages):

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...d.php?t=194817

Or here:

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...eral_swin.html

From the above link:

Feral swine already are a problem in at least 40 states and parts of Europe and Canada, with few reports of successful control.
    It would appear that Early Action is important. I almost went to Texas on a Hog Hunt recently, guess I can right here in MI just as well.

Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

wardog6d wrote:
    OK Thats cool. My point was that the DNR sucks in regards to there information which is little to non. If these people had any clue Hog hunting would be a new resource for Michigan. Hog's may do damage but they sure are cool and fun to shoot and taste really good.
    I agree . Bacon, Chops, pulled pork.... I could go on and on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast