• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Governor is expected to sign bill to allow CPL holders

lil_freak_66

imported post

scot623 wrote:
I wasn't aware we had such a rampant swine problem...

on the public land in clinton county ive seen a few of them,or signs of them...for a bit over a year.

thisparticular year ive seen them,or signs of them every time ive been out there(this is near the dnr ran shooting range @ rose lake)

iirc,they are legal to hunt with ANY hunting permit,year round,night or day.

btw...brian,why haveyounever told us you've been shot before?!:D

(see below pic)

hogzilla.jpg

apparently the guy that shot it was like 12

lil_freak_66

imported post

The animal's remains were exhumed in early 2005 and studied by scientists for a documentary. In March 2005, these scientists confirmed that Hogzilla actually weighed 800pounds (360kg) and was between 6.9feet (2.1m) and 8.6feet (2.6m) long

:what:

i wanna go pig huntin now...

chevytaHOE5674

imported post

Chances of you getting close enough to a hog with a pistol are pretty slim. They are smart suckers and are sneaky as all can be. Most guys hunt them with dogs or shoot them at long ranges with rifles.

lil_freak_66

imported post

all the times ive seen hog in michigan its been 100-300 yards,which i am not confident in taking that shot with a bead sight smooth bore 16 ga. while standing...at a moving target

one of these days though....

PDinDetroit

imported post

[size="+1"][size="+1"][size="+3"][size="+1"][/size][/size][/size][/size]
(3) A person who possesses a license to carry a concealed pistol issued under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, or a valid hunting license for any game issued under part 435 of the natural resources and environmental protection act, 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.43501 to 324.43561, may kill a swine running at large on public property. A person may kill swine running at large on private property if the person is, or is accompanied by or has the permission of, the owner or lessee of the property.
Interesting things about this bill:
  1. Have a CPL? This bill authorizes such a person to legally carry any Michigan Legal Firearm on Public Land for the purpose of hunting feral swine. In addition, this will be allowed on Private Land with owner/lessee permission.
  2. DNRE definition of Feral Swine seems to indicate that it is technically not hunting to take/harvest them. From the FAQ link below: "Feral swine are not defined as wildlife. Swine are agricultural products."
  3. This bill does not to set any limitations on firearm type, caliber, or cartridge capacity. The DNRE Site lists that you are to follow applicable guidelines for the Open Season you are hunting. Since it is technically "not hunting" since feral swine are "not wildlife", I am not sure that there are any limitations.
I am thinking that if I am correct, I will be finally funding that Springfield M1A purchase to go have some fun harvesting "agricultural products".

This deserves Sir Dancing Banana! :celebrate

MI DNRE Site for Feral Swine info (including where the suckers are at):
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_55230---,00.html

Feral Swine FAQ:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/FAQ_320471_7.pdf