• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Governor is expected to sign bill to allow CPL holders

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

This is a scam. There are like 3 Wild boars in Michigan. I have contacted the DNR and talked the director of some board of issue's in regards to wild boar to try and find out where all the boar are. They dont even know where the 3 boar are. ALl they know is a few were killed during previous hunting season's. This is a total waste of time.

autosurgeon

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
This is a scam. There are like 3 Wild boars in Michigan. I have contacted the DNR and talked the director of some board of issue's in regards to wild boar to try and find out where all the boar are. They dont even know where the 3 boar are. ALl they know is a few were killed during previous hunting season's. This is a total waste of time.

And you sir most likely believe them about the cougars too...

Lets put it this way I have seen more than three feral pigs roaming together at a time.. and I have seen and heard them in 6 diff places at diff times and hundreds of miles apart.

I have also seen 1 cougar after the owner of a prize winning horse it mauled shot and killed it.. The DNR told us it was not a cougar... they must think we are stupid and blind.

The DNR also says that the wolves in the UP are not the reason the deer herd is so small up there.

Oh and their is a difference between Wild Boars and feral pigs... most of what we have in MI are Feral pigs

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

OK Thats cool. My point was that the DNR sucks in regards to there information which is little to non. If these people had any clue Hog hunting would be a new resource for Michigan. Hog's may do damage but they sure are cool and fun to shoot and taste really good.

PDinDetroit

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
How about here (actual sitings reported to DNRE):

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/030209FSupdate_269021_7.pdf

Or here (little light reading - 91 pages):

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194817

Or here:

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2009/01/growing_threat_from_feral_swin.html

From the above link:

Feral swine already are a problem in at least 40 states and parts of Europe and Canada, with few reports of successful control.
It would appear that Early Action is important. I almost went to Texas on a Hog Hunt recently, guess I can right here in MI just as well.

autosurgeon

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
OK Thats cool. My point was that the DNR sucks in regards to there information which is little to non. If these people had any clue Hog hunting would be a new resource for Michigan. Hog's may do damage but they sure are cool and fun to shoot and taste really good.
I agree . Bacon, Chops, pulled pork.... I could go on and on :lol:

PDinDetroit

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
Thats what I am saying. Everyone wants to Kill the things. The DNR just isnt providing good enough resources on how or where to find em. If that was the case there would be bacon frying now...
Even though this is not "hunting" per se, it is up to us to find and harvest these "agricultural products" just like any other game. The DNRE relies on MI Residents to report sightings.

If the DNRE knew exactly where all of the feral swine were, they could just take them out.

Slugslinger

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
Thats what I am saying. Everyone wants to Kill the things. The DNR just isnt providing good enough resources on how or where to find em. If that was the case there would be bacon frying now...

We CAN NOT rely on conservation services to locate these roaming pricks!

The literature is there if you look and we all have the web. WE MUST ACT unless we want the pig BOMB going off like it has in the southern regions of the US.

Game or not- Michigan has one of the greatest wilderness experiences that is available in this country. The current invasive species populationwill let you know that it's a great state to thrive in. The hogs are a threat to what we Michiganders hold dear.

Let's keep it under control!!!!

If you need more info on just how fast it can get out of hand -Go to the PBS website and search the words "Pig Bomb" and take a look at the damage that they have done to the wilderness in some other states.

Peace be with you and be with your piece

LaVere

imported post

[align=justify](3) A person who possesses a license to carry a concealed pistol issued under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, or a valid hunting license for any game issued under part 435 of the natural resources and environmental protection act, 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.43501 to 324.43561, may kill a swine running at large on public property. A person may kill swine running at large on private property if the person is, or is accompanied by or has the permission of, the owner or lessee of the property.[/align]

[align=justify]I says I can hunt and kill a swine with a CPL/CCW or a hunting license[/align]

[align=justify][/align]

Slugslinger

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
So, in general, how do you tell the difference between public and private lands?

All ,or at least most, public hunting land is posted as such. If not by the State( for State hunting land) or by Fed CO's (for Federal Reserve Forest like Manistee) then the neighbors usually post the boundaries fairly well to keep unwanted guests off private property.

Corners are marked with "L" shaped signs, road boundaries usually have white, waist high signage every half or quarter mile or so (usually 15 foot of the road) and private/public boundaries usually have orange markers frequently. There are always exceptions like deep into spots off the road but most public hunting spots will have the "tell tale pull off''s" for parking.

autosurgeon

imported post

Next time I go trail riding in the Allegan State Game area this is going with me!

P1010280.jpg