• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

a knife beats a gun

eye95

imported post

Wow. He beat a dummy to the draw!

Wow. He hit a dummy who wasn't moving!

Wow. He killed a dummy with one shot! Good thing. He only had one.

The really amazing thing was that the dummy's gun was still in the holster. The dummy didn't even start to get it drawn.

I am unimpressed with this video. Someone can hit a big, still target with a big knife at 20 feet.

marine77

imported post

yeah....................................................................right.

AZkopper

imported post

Not sure what he's trying to prove? Perhaps that he's faster than a dummy?

On a serious note, it does highlight the 21 foot rule. If a guy has a knife and is within 21 feet of you, you're dead before you can react. Even if you are able to see, react, draw, aim and heart shoot him, adrenalin will get him there to stab you before he dies.

eye95

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
Not sure what he's trying to prove? Perhaps that he's faster than a dummy?

On a serious note, it does highlight the 21 foot rule. If a guy has a knife and is within 21 feet of you, you're dead before you can react. Even if you are able to see, react, draw, aim and heart shoot him, adrenalin will get him there to stab you before he dies.
Sorry. I don't buy it. He had to draw his weapon and "fire" it, just like a guy with a gun. Just like a guy with a gun, he has to be accurate in hitting a possibly moving target who is likely trying to shoot back. Just like a guy with a gun, there is a chance that even a hit will not stop his opponent.

The big problem: The guy with a knife has one shot. The guy with the gun has 6 or 8 or 10 or 14...

I'll take the gun over the knife.

Aaron1124

imported post

I'm still laughing at the part where he said "Here's his gun. Still in his holster." like he was suppose to draw. LOL. I'm pretty sure the guy was only half serious.

Dreamer

imported post

The guy with the knife was NOT acting in Self Defense. He MURDERED the guy with the gun in cold blood--because the guy with the gun had his gun STILL IN THE HOLSTER!!!

No court would excuse a murder by throwing knife as self defense if the victim's firearm as holstered...

The ONLY way this would be a valid SD situation would be if the gun was out of the holster and pointed at the knife guy--in which case, the knife guy MIGHT be able to hit him, but the gun guy would be able to get off at least 2 or three rounds in the time it took to throw the knife...

EPIC FAIL...

rottman43055

imported post

Forget the video & lets look at some real observations.

In a lot of situations a knife will beat a gun. Knife wounds are devastating, if you have any doubt google Contact Edged Weapons pdf and take a look for yourself. (very graphic)

Wounds even to areas that most consider non life threatening when cut, can become life threatening.

Knives are very concealable, anyone can pull a knife VERY quickly to thrust or slash.

They are silent, never jam, will not hit innocent bystanders.

Also, training with a knife is not required to mess someone up (training helps, but not needed). I have seen plenty of crime shows where someone has knifed someone to death & not recieved so much as a scratch in the process.

Also, look at the Tuller drill, 21ft in a couple seconds. Thats not much time to draw & fire if you see someone coming at you with a knife from that distance.

So, does a knife beat a gun? It depends, but it is very unwise to dismiss edged weapons because you think a gun is superior.

10A

imported post

rottman43055 wrote:
Forget the video & lets look at some real observations.[/size]

In a lot of situations a knife will beat a gun. Knife wounds are devastating, if you have any doubt google Contact Edged Weapons pdf and take a look for yourself. (very graphic)

Wounds even to areas that most consider non life threatening when cut, can become life threatening.

Knives are very concealable, anyone can pull a knife VERY quickly to thrust or slash.

They are silent, never jam, will not hit innocent bystanders.

Also, training with a knife is not required to mess someone up (training helps, but not needed). I have seen plenty of crime shows where someone has knifed someone to death & not recieved so much as a scratch in the process.

Also, look at the Tuller drill, 21ft in a couple seconds. Thats not much time to draw & fire if you see someone coming at you with a knife from that distance.

So, does a knife beat a gun? It depends, but it is very unwise to dismiss edged weapons because you think a gun is superior.

Of course knives are dangerous. If someone comes at me with a knife, I'm drawing and shooting. Unlike the dummy (the one that doesn't move) I'm going to move, look for cover or at least give the knife guy a smaller profile. Sure, a knife can beat a gun. If I'm facing North and not paying attention someone can sneak up from the South and hurt me. For defense, is a knife the best choice? Hell no.

"knife wounds are devastating" - No doubt, but so are gunshot wounds. Knives as ranged weapons are one shot, and you do have time to duck or at least get your vitals out of the way. You can't duck a gunshot. In melee range a knife could arguably have an advantage.

"knives are very concealable" - Depends on the knife. The knife in the video looks uncomfortable to conceal. In any case, concealing serious gun power isn't much of an issue.

"They are silent" - Not an issue for self defense.

"never jam" - A good point, but other issues outweigh this factor. This is mitigated by using a gun that you know, practice with, know the ammo inside and out, fed in 1000s of rounds, etc.

"will not hit innocent bystanders" - An absolute statement that isn't necessarily true. How many innocent bystanders have been hit by competent shooters trying to hit a bad guy? I don't know, but intuitively I think that's got to be an extremely small number.

"Also, training with a knife is not required to mess someone up" - Point and pull a trigger requires training? I disagree here, it takes much more training to use a knife in combat than a gun. Either method should have (not requires) lots and lots of practice.

"I have seen plenty of crime shows" - Mmmm, ok.

"Also, look at the Tuller drill, 21ft in a couple seconds. Thats not much time to draw & fire if you see someone coming at you with a knife from that distance." - Certainly true, but that implies the guy with the knife is the aggressor (BAD GUY). As a defensive weapon, the knife isn't going to take longer to draw than a handgun. If the other guy has a gun, already drawn, well whether you have a knife or handgun you have to hope he misses the first shot. If you have a knife, and you're not in close quarters, you have to throw it and the knife is gone. If you have a gun, well you just squeeze that trigger. Miss? Squeeze again.

No thanks, I'll stick to the handgun. But..nothing says you can't carry both.

rottman43055

imported post

10A

I wasn't saying that a knife is better than a gun, but I have read a lot of knife vs gun debates & feel many people understimate a knife. Watch any Cold Steel video on youtube lol..

While I will say a gun is better, I really feel that with either /or, it depends on who's hands it is in.

So actually gun vs knife is a misleading question..

Old Grump

imported post

U8Dust, is there a point to this post? The dummy couldn't duck, dodge or get behind cover, a real man could. The real dummy threw his weapon away and the other man has a gun. Not to smart to me but what do I know? I'm just a simple country boy who lives in the woods.

Ilikesa

imported post

If a person wanted to see more about the Tueller drill and determine how fast they could draw and shoot accurately, there is a test.

1: Shooter to face target (should be approximately 5-8 feet from shooter)

2: Attacker to take starting position 21 feet away at a 90 degree angle to the shooter. There should be a "melee distance" line drawn in a 3-4 foot area around the shooter.

3: Shooter cannot draw until the attacker starts moving towards him

4: Attacker attacks, running behind the shooter for obvious safety reasons, as the shooter draws and engages his target. Attacker should not tag or touch the shooter, merely get to the melee line.

5: I was fortunate to get 1 shot off before the "attacker" crossed the melee distance line. I didn't hit my target (a paper small plate). I also had no time to see my sights.
I've tried this many times, and failed every time.

Conclusion: I need more practice speed drawing and point shooting.

Visual aid:

Target

^
|
|
Attacker \ | Shooter
-----> |
| melee line