• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alabama Gun Owner's Bill Of Rights

AL Ranger

imported post

I have been working on this as a petition we can sign and gather signatures for to send to the numbnuts in Montgomery to get this gun control crap under control once and for all. Let's get this done so future generations won't have to worry about it. Please read this bill of rights carefully, think it over and let me know of any problems so we can get them ironed out. Thanks!

ALABAMA GUN OWNER’S BILL OF RIGHTS

The lessons of history shows that legislation concerning firearms in this State has been one of misunderstanding, abuse by politicians and law enforcement, constant revisions in the law, various court rulings and Attorney General opinions. For these reasons among others, we submit the following as an Alabama Gun Owner’s Bill of Rights.

1. The right of the citizen to own, keep and carry firearms, in whichever manner they choose, as personal property for defense of self, family, others and the State, in accordance with the Alabama State Constitution, is an individual and personal right which shall be recognized as such by the State Legislature, the State Executive office, and the State Supreme Court.

2. The right to carry firearms, either openly or concealed, for self-defense, or any lawful purpose, shall be left to the sole discretion of the citizen. No authority of this State shall presume to have or assume the power to limit the right to firearms or the mode of carry of this personal property; except as listed in parts 7-9 below.

3. The right to carry firearms, either openly or concealed, in any vehicle, for any lawful purpose, is at the sole discretion of the citizen in accordance with the law known as the “Castle Doctrine”.

4. No law enforcement officer recognized by this State shall remove firearms from a citizen, except when the citizen has been arrested for violating the laws the officer is commissioned to enforce. In the event the arrest is overturned and/or the citizen is released from custody, the citizen’s firearms shall be returned immediately.

5. Non-residents with their personal firearms, visiting and/or passing through this State for lawful business, pleasure or vacation, shall be treated as Alabama citizens under this Bill. If these persons are in possession of a concealed weapon permit from their home state of record, the concealed permit shall be honored by this State, for the sake of reciprocity.

6. A citizen shall carry firearms, openly or concealed, in any manner they choose, on their property, any property under their control, any public property, commercial private property doing business with the general public, or any property where firearms carry has not denied, either by posted signs or verbally instructed by a person or persons in charge of the property or the owners.

7. The State may restrict the carry of firearms in government offices, court houses or any building where city, county, state or federal business is conducted. This is the only section that may be controlled, regulated, altered or changed by the State.

8. The rights to firearms protected and guaranteed by this Bill are not and will not be recognized by the State for any citizen who has been convicted of any violent crime, who is known to be an habitual drunkard, or who is addicted to prescription or illegal drugs.

9. The rights to firearms protected and guaranteed by this Bill are not and will not be recognized by the State for any citizen carrying openly or concealed any weapon, on or about their person, with any criminal intent and/or in the commission of a crime.

10. Only needed for the purpose of interstate reciprocity, a citizen may apply for and receive an Alabama Concealed Weapon permit at the Sheriff’s office in the county which they reside. The cost for this permit shall not exceed $5.00 ( Five Dollars).

steveman01

imported post

I agree with your Intentions but I must say we already haveour "Bill of Rights" in both the U.S. and State constitutions. Government has been usurping it's powers and claiming new ones since at least abe lincoln's day. Even if a something of this nature got put into law, what makes you think they would follow it? It's like passing the same law over and over again expecting a different result.It's does not need to be reworded, it's plain English already, "shall not be infringed". You don't get no simpler than that. It's straight up tyranny!!! I support you all the way, but this would do about as much as a tea party protest...absolutely nothing. We lost our liberty and sovereignty when we lost the civil war. People's need to wake up, stop living in denial and see just how far we're gone. Once people see that petitioning does jack and recognise that the real enemy and criminal's are not in some foreign country but right here supposedly representing us. Then it's time to ask themselves "What am I going to do about it"? There is only one way to fix the problem. If you think it's the ballot box you couldn't be more ignorant and behind the times. What little "liberty teeth" we have left is our only option. But it appears to me that nothing is going to be done about it. Those commie's in Greece have more balls than most in the states. I don't intend to insult or offend anyone (Though I'm sure some will be, mostly those still in denial). For those who don't know, the 2A was put on paper for only one reason, to give you (no one else) the ability to stay free! Sorry for the rant, just a little worked up and needed to vent.

"If a man cannot be trusted with a gun then he cannot be trusted with life or at least life without shackles." -me

"Slavery is not racist, for anyone can easily become one." -me

"No free man shall be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson

AL Ranger

imported post

Not a problem, brother and thanks for your response. That's the idea of the forum, to debate and educate. You are preaching to the choir here. But, when all is said and done, we need to be realistic. Many people already see gun owners as neandethals ready to shoot first and ask questions later. Before we are ready to march on Montgomery and prepare to fire "the shot heard 'round the state", we should, at the very least, exhaust all non-lethal methods first. You can use words in documents like "inalienable" and "shall not be infringed", but they just go in one ear and out the other to those who don't care. To many Americans, guns aren't the symbols of liberty, they are symbols of oppression and they want the government to get rid of the scary things. You march on Montgomery with guns blazing and you will prove them right.

The bill I propose cuts to the meat of the problem and says, "Go after the criminals but leave our guns alone. Criminals aren't supposed to be armed and we aren't criminals! Get off our backs!" We have been betrayed by politicians and law enforcement alike, as I stated in the preamble. That's why gun laws have flip-flopped over the decades. That's why we have to have a bill that tells Montgomery that they can't touch our guns or our rights to have them and carry them.

Nobody wants to fire the first shot unless absolutely necessary and I, for one, don't think we have reached that point yet. We are making headway in the larger cities and the counties, so there is hope. We just need to take this the whole way, legally first.

If you haven't yet joined us at www.alabamaopencarry.com, please do so!