• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

nc pawn shops

stftwhs

imported post

my son in law pawned is pistol at a pawn shop 0ne month ago went to pick it up and was told he needed a ccp to do so.he does not have one they told him they would run his name through ncic and they would let him no in three to five days.this does not sound right to me,do you need a permit to get your weapon back at a pawn shop?any info would be appreciated.

Adam H

imported post

Taken from North Carolina Firearms Laws, published by the NCDOJ.
D. Temporary Transfers of Firearms
The transfer of a pawned firearm from a licensed pawnbroker back to the owner of the firearm is subject to the requirements of the Brady Law. A NICS inquiry, or an alternative, must therefore be accomplished prior to the redemption of a pawned firearm. North Carolina law does not require the owner to procure a handgun permit when redeeming the firearm.
According to this, they must do the NICS check. He does not have to have a carry permit or a purchase permit. The NICS check takes all of five minutes, not three to five days.

It sounds like the pawn shop is giving him the run around and refusing to return his pistol.. He should go there and demand, in no uncertain terms, that they conduct the NICS check and return his pistol. Either way, I wouldn't go back to that store.

NCjones

imported post

The clerkprobably talking about a PPP.Your SILcan get a PPP as an alternative to the NICS check. I have also run across a lot of people who don't know the difference between a "permit" to purchase and a "permit" to carry a concealed handgun and they think it is the same thing and end up giving out erroneous info.

A CHP is for carrying a concealed handgun and is also an alternative to the NICS check, but it is not required to redeem or purchase a pistol. To redeem a pawned pistol your SIL needs a CHP or a PPP or a NICS check.A PPP is not required to redeem it since he already owns it, he's just pledged it to secure the loan. The pawn shop doesn't own his pistol until he fails to redeem it. To buy a hangun he would need a a CHP or a PPP from the sheriff. A PPP will take about 5 -7 days but a NICS check should take only 5 to 10 minutes. Probably the pawn clerk is just too lazy to take the 10 minutes to call it in to NICS.The clerkfigures if your SIL goes to the sheriff and gets aPPP then he doesn't have to do anything but take the PPP and take his money, fast and easy.

Sounds like to me they just want to keep his piece for the next-to-nothing money they loaned him on it and they figure he won't bother to persue the matter.

Again,

1) To redeem a pawned pistol your SIL needs a CHP or a PPP or a NICS check.
2) To buy a hangun he would need a a CHP or a PPP from the sheriff.

Dreamer

imported post

And after he gets his pistol back from this pawn shop, he should report them to the local Sheriff, and to the State Department of Commerce for giving him so much hassle...

And BTW, NICSs don't cost a pawshop, gun store, or FFL dealer ANYTHING. The operating expenses of the NICSs system are part of the FBI's budget, and there are no fees associated with running checks or even having access to the system. The only think the dealer pays for to run a NICS check is their computer (which they already use for other things) and their ISP connection.

NICS checks are free. The just take time (about 5 minutes)...

NCjones

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
NICS checks are free. The just take time (about 5 minutes)...

I've heard of a few places that charge as much as $25. Don't know if it's legal or not, but mostly it's those places like pawn shops where they nickel-dime you for everything and charge a fee for everything. Usually if you are buying a gun and the NICS is clear they will credit the $25 to the purchase price, otherwise they keep the fee.

Again, not sure if the FBI has any guidelines concerning if a customer can be charged for a NICS check and if so if there is a maximum amount allowed.

Dreamer

imported post

There are no regs placed on fees a business of government agency may charge for running NICS checks. Legally, they can charge you anything they want, or nothing at all. Some do it free, as part of the deal, and some will gouge you to the eyeballs for it...

I have never seen a reputable firearms dealer who charges for NICS checks. If I ever met one who did, I would take my business elsewhere.

Mostly, it's pawn shops and government agencies who charge a fee. Apparently, the time required for them is worth a LOT more than the time of employees at more "respectable" businesses like sporting good shops...

If a NICS check takes 5 minutes, and they charge $25, they are billing you at a rate of $300/hr. Even by pawn shop (or government agancy) standards, that is an extremely usurious fee.

If you bring THAT to the attention of the worker and then take your business elsewhere, I imagine it would cause their employer no end of problems, because I doubt the average pawn shop worker is making anywhere close to $300/hr...

r1dramma

imported post

Adam H wrote:
I don't know if it's true or not, I've heard that Hyatt's in Charlotte charges you to run the NICS check on guns you buy from them. I don't know this for a fact, but I've heard that.

I purchased 2 guns from them back in Feb of this year and didn't even notice,till now that there was a $12 brady fee on the receipt is that what your referring to?

NCjones

imported post

Guns? handgun or long gun?

Seems to me if you go in with a PPP or a CHP and it was a handgun purchase, there is no NICS check to do, it has already been done by the sheriff. I'd demand my $12 back. They charged you for a service you didn't get. If you have a PPP or CHP they don't do a call-in to NICS.

Under NC statute a PPP or a CHP is an alternative to NICS.

None of the gun shops I've bought long guns from have charged any fee to call it in. to me, that is just a cost of doing business.

r1dramma

imported post

NCjones wrote:
Guns? handgun or long gun?

Seems to me if you go in with a PPP or a CHP and it was a handgun purchase, there is no NICS check to do, it has already been done by the sheriff. I'd demand my $12 back. They charged you for a service you didn't get. If you have a PPP or CHP they don't do a call-in to NICS.

Under NC statute a PPP or a CHP is an alternative to NICS.

None of the gun shops I've bought long guns from have charged any fee to call it in. to me, that is just a cost of doing business.
Sorry handguns and I do have my NC CHP,so your correct no NICS was called in.I'm going to give them a call sometime today for an explanation of these charges!Oh yeah I forgot to mention it was $12 per handgun.

r1dramma

imported post

Update after speaking with Hyatt they gave me some BS about thebrady fee being associated with the paper work for the gun that had to be filled out,so I explained that I also purchased another handgun from shooter express and wasn't charge anything but the price of the gun and taxes he had no answer.I guess from now on I will take my business elsewhere!