• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie question

prpsjeans

imported post

I am newish to the forums. Long time reader, first time poster. I suppose I should give a background on my question prior to asking it.

Last night my wife and I were on a walk with our dog. It was the first time I had left my firearm at home. I live in an apartment complex in Lynnwood. At any rate, when we were about to enter our breeze way, we noticed we were being followed by a suspicious man. I say suspicious as he was wearing a puffy northface type jacket and a black beanie. We diverted our way back into the breeze way and kept walking as my wife felt he was casing the area (never seen him before). When he moved on we called the security company who stated they would beef up patrols last night.

Today my wife went into the managers office and let them know what happened. The landlord stated next time to call the sherrif, give a description, and let them know that we believe he has a gun. Seems like a stretch to me as never was I concerned in regards to a gun. Secondly they stated this is necessary as this is a "fire arm free property". I looked through our lease and didn't see a clause in regards to firearms and or any signs posted on the property.

My question is this: Can a landlord dictate weather or not a property is gun free? Should I push this issue with them, or continue on with what I have been doing with no complaints? It seems to me that to make a property "gun free" that would then constitute discrimination. I.e. I only want "x" type of person renting from me.

sempercarry

imported post

Its his property....he can set whatever restrictions he wants. If it was not in the lease agreement though, I doubt he could kick you out for it until your lease was up. just my two cents...welcome to the forum.

prpsjeans

imported post

Thank you for the welcome and prompt reply! This one is quite hard for me to wrap my head around though. I did read that there are some states that empower the leasing agent to ban fire arms, yet I thought Washington was an exception. I suppose the best solution is to inquire further from the main company rather than the manager.

On the other hand, I would rather face eviction than the lack of safety for my family...

jbone

imported post

I would be suspect the lease is signed by you approved by management. No prior clause of firearms on common areas, not breaking any rules.I recall when I used to rent my rental agreement spelled out does and don't to include use and behavior in common areas and in my home. You have a contract a legal document that does not ban firearms from the property. IMO.

Aaron1124

imported post

I've never even heard of any apartment complexes that ban firearms. That's too bad to hear. If it wasn't in the lease, then I don't think you can be given the boot.

geojohn

imported post

prpsjeans wrote:
The landlord stated next time to call the sherrif, give a description, and let them know that we believe he has a gun. Seems like a stretch to me as never was I concerned in regards to a gun.
If someone advises you to lie to law enforcement, do not.

1245A Defender

imported post

sempercarry wrote:
Its his property....he can set whatever restrictions he wants. If it was not in the lease agreement though, I doubt he could kick you out for it until your lease was up. just my two cents...welcome to the forum.
this is the statement that gets to me,,, The landlord stated next time to call the sherrif, give a description, and let them know that we believe he has a gun. Seems like a stretch to me as never was I concerned in regards to a gun.
is the manager telling prpsjeans to make a false report, just to get the cops to come faster?
that is criminal! cry wolf!

ps i met you and your folks at the pancake house a week ago.
you should have taken at least 1 gun with you, just for the UOC get togethers there in calif.

k.rollin

imported post

During my sophomore year of college, my roommate and his friend got into an altercation with the neighbor downstairs. That behavior, in addition to the later discovery that he was using drugs (marijuana and Oxycontin) led to his eviction. The landlord tried to evict me too, even though I was at a party the night before and out cold when the fight happened. She claimed that I knew he was using and that I failed to report him to the authorities or the management, which I didn't. After making my case, she let me stay, but told me that she knew I had firearms in the unit, and that they don't belong there (my roommate said something to the LEOs who were investigating, who then woke me up and asked me about them) and that I would have to take them to my parents house and leave them there. I told her that there was nothing in my lease pertaining to the possession or ownership of a firearm, and that by forcing me to move them to a place other than my place of abode, she was forcing me to give up my right to safety and security in my own home. Needless to say, she backed down pretty darn quick.

TL;DR: Landlord told me no guns allowed. I said there was nothing in the lease saying that, and that forcing me to move them violated my right to feel safe/secure in my apartment. Guns and I got to stay.

prpsjeans

imported post

I agree... that statement was the catch-all for me. It leads me to believe that there is a tremendous ammount of fear in this complex in regards to firearms period. It also concerns me that they are instructing tenants to falsely make claims in regards to incidents. My initial question was ~what does one with a gun look like? Personally I am a well educated, well dressed, calm demeanored individual. Does that mean I fit any specific type?

I suppose there were two underlying issues at hand here. And I tried to cram them into one forum posting. The kicker is that in the lease agreement, it states to the effect that; "The property is not responsible for the safety of its tenants. The sole responsibility falls onto the tenants themselves, and local law-enforcement."

k.rollin

imported post

prpsjeans wrote:
I agree... that statement was the catch-all for me. It leads me to believe that there is a tremendous ammount of fear in this complex in regards to firearms period. It also concerns me that they are instructing tenants to falsely make claims in regards to incidents. My initial question was ~what does one with a gun look like? Personally I am a well educated, well dressed, calm demeanored individual. Does that mean I fit any specific type?

I suppose there were two underlying issues at hand here. And I tried to cram them into one forum posting. The kicker is that in the lease agreement, it states to the effect that; "The property is not responsible for the safety of its tenants. The sole responsibility falls onto the tenants themselves, and local law-enforcement."
Of course, we all know that LEOs have no legal obligation to protect you, so it really does just come down to you.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Maybe your mgr should have a talk with the mgr where Deros lives.:)The positive result there should cinvince her. Next would be an OC bar B Que:celebrate

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When someone asks you to lie....

In a loud voice where others can hear......

(your recorder would be handy)

"I will not make false statements to the police! Please do not ask me to do that again!"

DEROS72

imported post

We have had a couple of big meets ere with the news and a couple of us here that open carry.Since that time things have settled out quite a bit and some of those that were causing problems I.E the 2 shootings are now gone.I even had one nieghbor confront me because she thought I was moving.She said she really hoped I don't because she now feels much safer with me living upstairs.

attachment.php

killchain

imported post

Kinda off topic, but I ran into my apartment manager with an "armload of stuff" (aka a shotgun) while packing up to go to the range.

She was just like "WHAEVA" and walked on by.

I love my manager.