• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo

soldier.53

imported post

come on can some one please tell me where I can get .45 ACP ammo with out taking out a loan? if it is nice ammo, it is so hi priced you have to get a loan!? just in 2007 to 2008. I paid $9.97 for Blazer Brass 230 gr FMJ 50 each but now the same ammo is $18.95 to $26.97 a box? can some one please help this old disabled VET? I do not need 10,000 rounds but I would like to have some to shot?

Dreamer

imported post

Well, first off, thanks for your service to our country. And welcome to OCDO!

I wish we could help you, but ammo is hard-to-find everywhere, and when you do find it it's expensive...

I remember buying 100-rd bulk boxes of 9mm for under $20. These days, its over $20 for 50 rounds. And .45acp is harder to find and even more expensive.

Try Walmart. I've picked up 50-round boxes of Remington "green box" FMJ and Winchester "white box" FMJ .45acp at Walmart recently for about $19.00 each, and that's about as cheap as it's going to get, unless you buy bulk. Every now and then you'll see one of those big yellow 250-round boxes of .45acp at Gander Mountain or Dick's, but they tend to run about $125. Cheaper per round, but that's a lot of change to drop all at once...

"Self Defense" rounds like Hydra-Shok or CorBon or Wincehster Ranger SXT is going to cost you a LOT more--closer to $30 for a box of 20 rounds...

Good luck. We're all suffering these days. I'm in Graduate School, and on a budget too, so I feel your pain with regards to ammo. I stop into Walmart several times a week, and anytime I see some I buy one or two boxes. I've managed to accumulate a pretty good supply over the last 6 months.

The only way to save money on ammo is to reload your own, but that has a pretty high start-up cost (for a press, and all the supplies), and you STILL have to buy powder, primers, bullets, and cleaner for the brass.

They get ya comin' and goin'... ;)

REC7

imported post

Meijer and Walmart get in 100 ct winchester for around $35 that is the best price I have found.

daddy4count

imported post

+1 for Walmart... at least for practice rounds

Here in WA, PD ammo is getting really hard to come by. I paid almost $40 for a box of Federal Premium +P's... That's almost $2 per round! But it took weeks to locate so I didn't complain...

I paid less for my hunting bullets!

soldier.53

imported post

What Wal-mart I can't find a store that has .45 acp ammo in the stores around me? I live in Roseville MI

Don Barnett

imported post

Try reloading!

The initial outlay for the press, dies low and components may be expensive, but you will make that up in about ten boxes of ammo.

I have been reloading for years and just bought a Lee Hand Press for about $40.00 from Midway; wish I had bought one earlier. I can reload sitting in a chair watching TV.

Once everything is procured, a box of reloaded ammo is about 1/5 the cost of factory ammo.

.45 ACP is a relatively low pressure round, so the brass lasts a long time.

soldier.53

imported post

I do reload, but I have some shooting classes that you run and gun with 800 to 1000 rounds, and you lose a lot of brass! but I found a good place for now palmetto armory they are OK but they are fast!, I have ordered from Sportsmans guide, and all the rest. But Thank you all!

Michigander

imported post

Even if you have to buy more used cases every time, it still makes sense to reload. You just have to get them from a cheap source. It is also a hell of a lot cheaper if you cast bullets.

I got 500 used .45 cases in the heat of the Obama fear for 25 dollars. I'd still be looking at under 120 dollars per thousand if I never picked any of them up.

Don Barnett

imported post

A few years ago, some guy who had just bought a new .45 ACP pistol and about 10 boxes of ammo, which he shot at one visit to the range, sawme picking up my brass. As he was leaving, he swept up all of his empty casesand dumped them in my range bag.

That has kept me going since!

richarcm

imported post

I know that the prices of the ammo force me to concentrate more with each shot. You really have to make each round count. Perhaps that is the silver lining? :)

daddy4count

imported post

I've never purchased from Cabelas... but they usually have good deals on ammo in the sale catalogs they send me.

Not sure if they offer it online, but they do have good prices on practice type ammo. Their PDA stuff is about the same as elsewhere.

soldier.53

imported post

Thank You I looked mastercast.net. up, have you got ammo there be for? the prices are to good? I just would like you know if you have?

T

TWG2A

imported post

What is "Close Quarters" ammo? What's different about it?