• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Headshot from spinning car?

simmonsjoe

imported post

Police: Man Shot Dead In Car Justifiable The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office announced Friday that the shooting death of a man whose body was found in a car on April 1 was a justifiable homicide.
Police said the shooting happened at Cassat and Shirley avenues in the Hillcrest area on the Westside just after midnight.
Officers said Christopher Alfaro, 24, was driving in a car when he was shot to death by someone in another car by one shot to the head.
Police said Alfaro rammed another car during a road rage battle. They said the other driver started spinning out, and that’s when he grabbed his gun and started shooting.
“He fired one shot from his car at the other vehicle driven by Mr. Alfaro,” JSO Lt. Larry Schmitt said. “The bullet struck Mr. Alfaro in the head. That car continued to drive southbound on Cassat Avenue until it crashed on Shirley Avenue.”
Police said the 38-year-old shooter called them immediately after the shooting. They said he does have a concealed weapons permit.
Officers said when Alfaro rammed the other car, the other driver became the victim of an aggravated battery, which is why police said the shooting was justifiable.
“Based on the facts of this specific incident, we don’t have probable cause to believe that it was a murder,” Schmitt said.
The police will make the recommendation to the state attorney’s office, but prosecutors will decide if they want to press murder charges.

Surely the car came to rest before he fired, right? It doesn't read that way, but a spinning car, shooting through 1 or 2 panes of glass that will deflect the angle of the round, and BOOM HEADSHOT. If this happens to you it's because god wants you dead.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A couple of theoretically hypothetical questions, 'cause we're never going to get real answers:

1 - "Police said Alfaro rammed another car during a road rage battle." Does that mean they were engaged in mutual combat? Did the other driver disengage? IF so, how did he show he was quitting?

2 - " They said the other driver started spinning out, and that’s when he grabbed his gun and started shooting." Does that mean he was lining up his car for another ramming attack, or just that his tires were spinning as "[t]hat car continued to drive southbound on Cassat Avenue until it crashed on Shirley Avenue”? It sounds like the latter, which means --

3 - If Alfaro was headed southbound on Cassat Avenue away from the scene of the attack, wouldn't he shooter be firing after the threat had ceased to exist? (Shooting him in the back (of his car??) as he was fleeing the scene?)

Yes, I think I'd be just a bit upset if some yahoo had just rammed my car while I was in it - especially if it was done on purpose to try and hurt/kill me. But the law says to protect against death or great bodily injury, not to retaliateagainst someone who's no longer threatening/trying to kill/injure you.

Anybody want to suggest where I missed something?

stay safe.

skidmark

eye95

imported post

I'd say that once someone has used his car to assault you, the reasonable assumption, until you are absolutely certain that there is no longer any threat at all, is that the attack is continuing. If the assailant is driving off, dial 911. If he is in position to use his car as a deadly weapon again, fire.

simmonsjoe

imported post

skidmark wrote:
A couple of theoretically hypothetical questions, 'cause we're never going to get real answers:

1 - "Police said Alfaro rammed another car during a road rage battle." Does that mean they were engaged in mutual combat? Did the other driver disengage? IF so, how did he show he was quitting?

2 - " They said the other driver started spinning out, and that’s when he grabbed his gun and started shooting." Does that mean he was lining up his car for another ramming attack, or just that his tires were spinning as "[t]hat car continued to drive southbound on Cassat Avenue until it crashed on Shirley Avenue”? It sounds like the latter, which means --

3 - If Alfaro was headed southbound on Cassat Avenue away from the scene of the attack, wouldn't he shooter be firing after the threat had ceased to exist? (Shooting him in the back (of his car??) as he was fleeing the scene?)

Yes, I think I'd be just a bit upset if some yahoo had just rammed my car while I was in it - especially if it was done on purpose to try and hurt/kill me. But the law says to protect against death or great bodily injury, not to retaliateagainst someone who's no longer threatening/trying to kill/injure you.

Anybody want to suggest where I missed something?

stay safe.

skidmark

“Based on the facts of this specific incident, we don’t have probable cause to believe that it was a murder,” Officer Schmitt said.

I'd say this means, no, it wasn't mutual combat... I see what your saying about the spinning out... and it must have been reasonable to assume he was still in danger.

I sure wish reporters -all of 'em, even the friendly ones- would write more concisely and carefully. The "road rage battle" comment is obviously confusing and at odds with the Officer Schmitt's summary.

YoZUpZ

imported post

eye95 wrote:
I'd say that once someone has used his car to assault you, the reasonable assumption, until you are absolutely certain that there is no longer any threat at all, is that the attack is continuing. If the assailant is driving off, dial 911. If he is in position to use his car as a deadly weapon again, fire.

I agree 100% Last night I was ona 2 hour jog/walk, it was about 1:30-2:00 in the morning and I heard a car hauling A down the hill. It ended up being a Porsche 911 Turbo and one of the bigger AMG Mercedes that were racing. It kind of spooked me quite a bit, as I had seen/heard very few cars that night, I was up on the hillside where a group of hospitals were.

Anyways, it got me thinking as to what I would do if say, instead of 2 cars racing, what if it was a car trying to make a pass at me and hit me or a drive by? Once they "miss" and are past me, would that be considered "fleeing?" would I be justified in shooting as the car is driving past me?

In my opinion I think that I would be 100% justified in opening fire at a car that had just tried to hit me, etc... They could easily be coming back around for another pass... Until the threat is no longer there, I think you are justified.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Police said
There's your problem.

Just because the Police said it, doesn't mean it is anywhere near accurate, or that it even happened....

This could actually be a report of the Tooth Fairy getting a Boob Job. You never know what will come of it once the Cops 'investigate' and tell their report to the Media....

Sure, we like to look for facts... Ever play that game where you whisper something in one person's ear, then the next, etc, and see how it comes out at the end of the line?

Now play it with 2 people (a cop and a reporter) who's entire purpose in life is to lie and distort....

Youy'd get more useful information from a Ouija Board and Loaded Dice.

CommonMan101

imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:
eye95 wrote:

I agree 100% Last night I was ona 2 hour jog/walk, it was about 1:30-2:00 in the morning and I heard a car hauling A down the hill. It ended up being a Porsche 911 Turbo and one of the bigger AMG Mercedes that were racing. It kind of spooked me quite a bit, as I had seen/heard very few cars that night, I was up on the hillside where a group of hospitals were.

Anyways, it got me thinking as to what I would do if say, instead of 2 cars racing, what if it was a car trying to make a pass at me and hit me or a drive by? Once they "miss" and are past me, would that be considered "fleeing?" would I be justified in shooting as the car is driving past me?

In my opinion I think that I would be 100% justified in opening fire at a car that had just tried to hit me, etc... They could easily be coming back around for another pass... Until the threat is there, I think you are justified.

I'm a little confused as to what the bold part means in context with the rest of the paragraph - unless you meant "gone" instead of "there". That would make sense to me.

I don't know how I'd react until I was actually in that situation but I think they would have to turn around and start another charge at me before I would feel justified in drawing on them. If they made a swipe at me and would have hit me if not for my getting out of the way I would be on the phone calling the police and trying to remember all I could for describing them. Once they turn around I think I would try for the radiator first then raise my aim if they kept coming. Getting to cover - if possible - would rank really high on my to do list, I think.

But, like I said, I really don't know how I'd react untilI am in that situation. Too manyreal life variables to consider from an armchair like this forum.

lil_freak_66

imported post

many states have a thing about "fleeing felons"

in my state if you have reason to believe that the person that just attacked you will come back and hurt you,or somebody else,you may take shots to stop said fleeing felon.

simmonsjoe

imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:
eye95 wrote:

In my opinion I think that I would be 100% justified in opening fire at a car that had just tried to hit me, etc... They could easily be coming back around for another pass... Until the threat is no longer there, I think you are justified.
once they are fleeing you are not in immediate danger. Your proposed situation is unclear.

simmonsjoe

imported post

ixtow wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
Police said
There's your problem.

Just because the Police said it, doesn't mean it is anywhere near accurate, or that it even happened....

This could actually be a report of the Tooth Fairy getting a Boob Job. You never know what will come of it once the Cops 'investigate' and tell their report to the Media....

Sure, we like to look for facts... Ever play that game where you whisper something in one person's ear, then the next, etc, and see how it comes out at the end of the line?

Now play it with 2 people (a cop and a reporter) who's entire purpose in life is to lie and distort....

Youy'd get more useful information from a Ouija Board and Loaded Dice.
My bad. You are correct.

YoZUpZ

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
YoZUpZ wrote:
eye95 wrote:

once they are fleeing you are not in immediate danger. Your proposed situation is unclear.
My point was that, if they are in a car, there is no way you can tell if they are fleeing... If someone tries to run you over with a car, they don't drive up to you, stop. then hit you, then stop with the car on top of you...So just because someone is driving away from you, does not mean that they are fleeing, they could be making a second round. Same with drive by shootings, if they miss their target, many times, they come back around. Just because someone is traveling in a direction away from you does not mean that they are fleeing...

A few years back, I'm sure ya'll heard about the story of that lady who hit her husband witha car and ran over him multiple times. She hit him, circled around, ran over him again, circled around, ran over him again, etc... If the guy had a gun, an shot her, when her car happened to be facing away from him after the first hit, would you say she was fleeing, and therefore find him guilty? I hope not.

simmonsjoe

imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
YoZUpZ wrote:
eye95 wrote:

My point was that, if they are in a car, there is no way you can tell if they are fleeing... If someone tries to run you over with a car, they don't drive up to you, stop. then hit you, then stop with the car on top of you...So just because someone is driving away from you, does not mean that they are fleeing, they could be making a second round. Same with drive by shootings, if they miss their target, many times, they come back around. Just because someone is traveling in a direction away from you does not mean that they are fleeing...

A few years back, I'm sure ya'll heard about the story of that lady who hit her husband witha car and ran over him multiple times. She hit him, circled around, ran over him again, circled around, ran over him again, etc... If the guy had a gun, an shot her, when her car happened to be facing away from him after the first hit, would you say she was fleeing, and therefore find him guilty? I hope not.
You answered your own question idiot.

eye95

imported post

No. He didn't answer his own question. Nor is he an idiot. I thought this site was better than name-calling.