• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro Shops "Gun Primer" weekend! May 14-16, 2010 in Ashland, Virginia

kennys

imported post

tkd2006 wrote:
kennys wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble and I don't mean to sound like a smart a$$ about it but this is the same way it is on the street and the same reason it is better to speak with a lawyer about legalities than a cop.

When you get pulled over or are even walking by a cop whileOC or anything else you don't have the option to call up the department and request that the officer that pulls you over or wants to question you to be one that handles fire arm cases. Ignorance as the courtrecognizes is no excuse and that is a two way street. If they do not know the laws that well than they should avoid giving false information.

As far as leaving things out, quite often they talk more about what is not legal than what is legal, and some try and sway their comments to their own beliefs of the way they should be rather than the way the law is actually written.

I am not saying all cops are a-holes there are many that respect our rights and as well support us and give us due respect as lawful citizens. As well there are those a-holes that believe they are above the law and it is there way or the high way and they simply put just don’t like any one but them carrying a weapon.

I agree with some of what you are saying but ill pass some information along.

When you say ask a lawyer well let me tell ya they dont know most of the laws regarding the purchase of firearms esp the FED side. Ill drop a few questions on you and you ask your lawyer if he knows the answer.

1.will a misd conviction of marijuana stop me from buying a firearm.

2. will 2 mmisd marijuana convictions in Va stop me from buying a handgun in Va for 5 years.

3. If my charge started out as assault & batter family member and was reduced to simple assault am i able to buy.

4. i was convicted of misd assault in MD it was against my neighbor and does not in any way meet the fed defination of domestic.

The statement about "quite often they talk more about what is not legal than what is legal" which list is longer. Like its stated here if its not in the law then its legal. it could take days to say all the places you can carry but the places you cant carry is alot shorter to say. also alot easier to explain to a large group of people.

And yes there are some Leos that just want the Badge, and Gun. Its a shame that they are there and an even bigger shame that they bring down the ones that do a really good job.

ProShooter i mean no disrespect to Bass Pro i deal with both but as far as this event went Hampton dropped the ball. They could have called the Virginia State Police and requested to have someone come by. The guys at Ashland seem to really love their job and want to learn as much as possible. If you plan on teaching at the Ashland store im sure we will meet im there all the time and only live about a mile and half away.
Depends upon the lawyer, but or the most part if you know how to look you can even find the law yourself, but for reference. I do not want to cite names but in some past conversations with people that I have, even verified that this sometimes happens by a LEO let me give some examples.

Can you carry in a restaurant? Answer, not if they serve alcohol. Can you carry in a library? Answer No. Can I travel with it in my car? Answer Put it in the trunk. Can I carry while at a fire department? Answer No. Can I carry at the DMV? Answer No.

If my car breaks down and I have to walk, can I carry it with me walking down the road without a permit? Answer no.

All of these are all out lies, yes most by omission but still lies. I am not speaking for all LEO as I have had a couple and not just from Va all out admit some of their own play on the lack of knowledge of the common individual, but it happens and it is not all that rare.

I understand that some times it is a little much to teach what all you can do rather than can’t do but there are a few can do’s that could be a little more highlighted. I also understand that as well there are those LEO that more or less made to look bad by their own departments for the lack of training on issues as OC and such.

Simply put; a lawfully armed and educated citizen on the matter either OC or CC is not only safer as they can protect themselves, but as well an asset to society and no threat to police either, any one that thinks any different well I don’t think I need to explain that.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

tkd2006 wrote:
ProShooter i mean no disrespect to Bass Pro i deal with both but as far as this event went Hampton dropped the ball. They could have called the Virginia State Police and requested to have someone come by. The guys at Ashland seem to really love their job and want to learn as much as possible. If you plan on teaching at the Ashland store im sure we will meet im there all the time and only live about a mile and half away.

tkd - no worries. We've been teaching at Bass Pro in Ashland for about a year and a half now so perhaps we've gotten them fairly well caught up on the way things are as far as CHP stuff. They did ask for guidance from us as far as setting up their seminars and we were happy to assist them.

BP Hampton apparently hasn't held classes for quite some time and we only just negotiated our agreement with them. I'm sure they'll come along soon.

Im usually at the Ashland store at least 2-3 times a week. Just look for the Proactive Shooters "banana wagon" in the parking lot. I'll be there somewhere. :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

tkd2006 wrote:
kennys wrote: If you plan on teaching at the Ashland store im sure we will meet im there all the time and only live about a mile and half away.
I believe ProShooter has been teaching there for quite a while. The Tidewater store is a new contract.

AbNo

imported post

kennys wrote:
AbNo wrote:
You should be more congenial to your fellow OCers, man! :D
Sorry I didn even notice your carry last night. My wife told me today she noticed but I guess I was never on your strong side. It was Friday still burnt from the work week I guess.
F.Y.I., I am a lefty. :D

Everything's good, though. I spent all of that day pretty much cooling my heels in Richmond, waiting for someone to fly in, so I understand. :)