• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro Shops "Gun Primer" weekend! May 14-16, 2010 in Ashland, Virginia

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

The Bass Pro Shops (Ashland, Virginia) will be hosting their 1st Annual "Gun Primer Weekend" on May 14-16, 2010.

Friday 5/14: 6-9 PM
Sat/Sun 5/15 & 16: 1-5 PM

Free seminars will be given each day and include:

Friday 6PM: "Right Gun, Right Caliber": Whether a shotgun, rifle or handgun this seminar will review the important considerations for a new gun purchase

Friday 7PM: "It's the Law": A complete review of local laws and ordinaces. Get the facts about transporting and carrying your firearm.

Friday 8PM: "Reloading Basics": Why should you reload? Learn about selecting equipment, proper reloading techniques and tips to ensure success.

and then on Saturday and Sunday....

Sat/Sun 1 PM: "Right Gun/Right Caliber"

Sat/Sun 2 PM: "It's the Law"

Sat/Sun 3 PM: "Reloading Basics"

Sat/Sun 4 PM: "What is CCW?" - Learn what you should expect from a Concealed Carry class, what it costs, who is eligible, etc.

Proactive Shooters' President and Chief Firearms Instructor, James Reynolds will be presenting the seminar "What is CCW" on Saturday 5/15 and Sunday 5/16. Please come out and say hello if you get the opportunity.

gun_primer_event.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
The Bass Pro Shops (Ashland, Virginia) will be hosting their 1st Annual "Gun Primer Weekend" on May 14-16, 2010.

Friday 5/14: 6-9 PM
Sat/Sun 5/15 & 16: 1-5 PM

Free seminars will be given each day and include:

Friday 6PM: "Right Gun, Right Caliber": Whether a shotgun, rifle or handgun this seminar will review the important considerations for a new gun purchase

Friday 7PM: "It's the Law": A complete review of local laws and ordinaces. Get the facts about transporting and carrying your firearm.

Friday 8PM: "Reloading Basics": Why should you reload? Learn about selecting equipment, proper reloading techniques and tips to ensure success.

and then on Saturday and Sunday....

Sat/Sun 1 PM: "Right Gun/Right Caliber"

Sat/Sun 2 PM: "It's the Law"

Sat/Sun 3 PM: "Reloading Basics"

Sat/Sun 4 PM: "What is CCW?" - Learn what you should expect from a Concealed Carry class, what it costs, who is eligible, etc.

Proactive Shooters' President and Chief Firearms Instructor, James Reynolds will be presenting the seminar "What is CCW" on Saturday 5/15 and Sunday 5/16. Please come out and say hello if you get the opportunity.

gun_primer_event.jpg

I doubt I'll get to go. I have to get caught up on work but I was a little worried about their weapons policy. I saw a sign that looked new the other day that said all weapons had to be checked at the front desk and there was some confusion with the Customer Service people.

I got clarification today though. As long as it is holstered and legally carried, either OC or CC, it's fine. Just leave it in the holster.

TFred

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I doubt I'll get to go. I have to get caught up on work but I was a little worried about their weapons policy. I saw a sign that looked new the other day that said all weapons had to be checked at the front desk and there was some confusion with the Customer Service people.

I got clarification today though. As long as it is holstered and legally carried, either OC or CC, it's fine. Just leave it in the holster.
IMHO, that is the problem with gun shows as well. If people who carry into a gun show maintained the same behavior they did everywhere else, then gun shows would not have to insist that all guns be tied. That SD carry gun stays in the holster at all times, unless it is needed for it's one and only job, to defend oneself or another. Period. You wouldn't take it out and show it around if you were at any other place of business or public social setting.

Any gun that may or may not be the subject of a transaction or service at a gun show should probably not be carried in a holster, and certainly never loaded!

TFred

2a4all

imported post

Apparently, Bass Pro is having this same event in their Hampton, VA store the same weekend. I got the flier in the mail yesterday.

Peter Nap wrote:

"I doubt I'll get to go. I have to get caught up on work but I was a little worried about their weapons policy. I saw a sign that looked new the other day that said all weapons had to be checked at the front desk and there was some confusion with the Customer Service people.

I got clarification today though. As long as it is holstered and legally carried, either OC or CC, it's fine. Just leave it in the holster."

I thought that this issue had been settled by corporate long ago, and that the "checked weapons" were those that were being brought in for service or return.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

2a4all wrote:
Apparently, Bass Pro is having this same event in their Hampton, VA store the same weekend. I got the flier in the mail yesterday.

Peter Nap wrote:

"I doubt I'll get to go. I have to get caught up on work but I was a little worried about their weapons policy. I saw a sign that looked new the other day that said all weapons had to be checked at the front desk and there was some confusion with the Customer Service people.

I got clarification today though. As long as it is holstered and legally carried, either OC or CC, it's fine. Just leave it in the holster."

I thought that this issue had been settled by corporate long ago, and that the "checked weapons" were those that were being brought in for service or return.
It had but this is either a new sign or it had just been moved to that spot. I hadn't seen it before and it said "ALL FIREARMS".

When I asked at customer service they weren't sure although they didn't say anything about mine...but I also had Zeus so they probably didn;t see it.

The next day I was able to get someone who had talked to the Manager.

kennys

imported post

peter nap wrote:
2a4all wrote:

Peter Nap wrote:

It had but this is either a new sign or it had just been moved to that spot. I hadn't seen it before and it said "ALL FIREARMS".

When I asked at customer service they weren't sure although they didn't say anything about mine...but I also had Zeus so they probably didn;t see it.

The next day I was able to get someone who had talked to the Manager.

Did I forget to send you the memo?

We have no problem with either concealed or open carry

Both are legal in va

GB
Greg Bulkley
General Manager
Bass Pro Shops - Outdoor World
Richmond, Va

kennys

imported post

Have much to do at the house, but this maybe a good excuse to wait till Sat to do the home chores. After all I believe they are calling for scattered thunder storms this evening any way.

kennys

imported post

Got there too late for its the law as an accident on 95 had things tied up. Don't think I missed much as it was a State Cop that gave that seminar, I can only imagine what was left out . I just showed up as he was finishing OC of coarse no issue.

The reloading seminar for me never having done it or seen it done gave me more of an Idea of what I want so that was worth the trip at least.

AbNo

imported post

kennys wrote:
Got there too late for its the law as an accident on 95 had things tied up. ....
That's why you leave early. ;)

I caught all three seminars. "It's the Law" or whatever it was actually wasn't too bad. My only real complaint was the VAPD's use of the word "loophole". It was good for, well, anyone that doesn't frequent here.

It was basically a run-down of FFL-required paperwork and CHP-required paperwork. The guy speaking was pretty nice, and said nothing to the couple of OCers in the group.

Nothing new for me, but I also consider VA gun law a hobby. :)

I do wonder who had that PT1911, though....

kennys

imported post

AbNo wrote:
kennys wrote:
Got there too late for its the law as an accident on 95 had things tied up. ....
That's why you leave early. ;)

I caught all three seminars. "It's the Law" or whatever it was actually wasn't too bad. My only real complaint was the VAPD's use of the word "loophole". It was good for, well, anyone that doesn't frequent here.

It was basically a run-down of FFL-required paperwork and CHP-required paperwork. The guy speaking was pretty nice, and said nothing to the couple of OCers in the group.

Nothing new for me, but I also consider VA gun law a hobby. :)

I do wonder who had that PT1911, though....
If you caught all three I was at the loading on with the PT.

2a4all

imported post

This post may be a bit long-winded, so you may want to consider a bathroom break first, or duct tape.

The wife & I (OCing)went to the Bass Pro Shop in Hampton today. I was curious about the boats they advertized in their flyer. While there, we caught the seminar on CHPs.

The presenter, a retiredLEO,appeared to be nervous, and was definitely ill-informed about VA gun laws. He not only made factually erroneous statements, but made other statements which were very misleading. Keep in mind that this was not a CHP training class, but only a seminar to encourage folks to take such a class. Let me begin.

He said that carry on school grounds was prohibited, as well as in churches.

He said that a VA CHP was honored by a few states, including Maryland.

He said that anyone carrying a firearm who was pulled over by a LEO should turn on their interior lights (at night), roll down their window, and place both hands on the steering wheel. When the LEO approaches, tell him/her that you are carrying a concealed handgun, in order to preclude mitakes from happening when you reached for your license/registration. He should have said something like "Turn on your interior light (if at night), retreive your license and reistration and have them ready before the officer approaches.". He clearly left the cals with the impression that you need to notify the LEO that you're carrying.

When asked about the new concealed carry law, he stated that no one could carry a firearm into any restaurant that served alcohol, and then asked the audience "Why would you need a gun in a restaurant?". When asked by an attendee about the new law (July 1), he said that since he hadn't seen it in writing, it wasn't true. He then went on to say that you could carry in such an establishment, but weren't allowed to drink. He also said that a patron openly carrying a firearm into a restaurant would very likely be asked to leave because such action would "be unsettling to the other patrons".

At this point, I interrupted (I couldn' take itanymore.), and said that the new law, effictive July 1, would allow concealed carry into an alcohol serving restaurant, but such a person couldn't consume alcohol, however, a person open carrying could. I handed him an orangeVCDLcard. His response was "It's good to have someone here who knows what's going on.".

He then went on to saythat one needed a certificate from a CHP class in order to apply for a CHP. When an attendee asked aboutobtaining a CHP using a D/L and a Military ID, the LEO said that would depend on the court processing the application. Another individual said that he heard that a DD214 was sufficient. He didn't seem to have an answer, except to say that not everyone with a military background received the same firearms training (true statement). He admitted that his only training (in the Navy) was a few minutes on a range with a .22 bolt action rifle (as was mine). Again, I interrupted to point out that the law is very specific on what a court must accept as proof of competency, and that a DD214 on its face was good enough, it's only fault being that it doesn't attest to one's knowledge of the (VA) gun law. He added that a hunter safety course would also qualify.

After the lecture, one of the attendees went up and asked him about the VCDL card. He indicated that I was standing in the back. I was immediately swamped by almost every attendee asking for a card. I gave away all I had in less that 30 seconds. I spent about another 20 inutes talking with several attendees, answering questions about restuarants, school zones, conceal v open carry, etc., and strongly recommending they go online and check out VCDL, OCDO and the firearms statues.

After that, they passed out free trigger locks to everyone and had a drawing for a free $25.00 gift card. I missed by three.:cry:

Wife and I (OCing) went across the street to Lone Star for a burger. While eating, I was approached by a (drunk)bar patron who asked me what I was carrying. I was seated strong side out, and he attempted to actually touch my weapon. I was able to avert that and answer his question without a fuss.

Now, I need a break.

kennys

imported post

AbNo wrote:
You should be more congenial to your fellow OCers, man! :D
Sorry I didn even notice your carry last night. My wife told me today she noticed but I guess I was never on your strong side. It was Friday still burnt from the work week I guess.

tkd2006

imported post

kennys wrote:
Got there too late for its the law as an accident on 95 had things tied up. Don't think I missed much as it was a State Cop that gave that seminar, I can only imagine what was left out . I just showed up as he was finishing OC of coarse no issue.

The reloading seminar for me never having done it or seen it done gave me more of an Idea of what I want so that was worth the trip at least.

Rest easy that the State cop as you like to put it knew the rules and laws of OC and CC in the state of Virginia better than most on this board. Why must you assume that he left anything out.

As for the retired leo in Hampton i will say with 80% certainty that he is not the Trooper in that area that does the firearms cases, this would probally be the cause of him being nervous and not knowing the information before hand. The question here is did the Hampton Bass Pro call and get a qualified person to come and speak or did they drop the ball. Bass pro in Ashland was on the ball and contacted the Trooper ahead of time which allowed him to have all of the correct information before he entered and started to speak.

As for the CC law in resturants he is correct to a point while the law was signed its not in effect. Had he spoken about in the manner of the law was signed but you cant untill July 1 there would be 1 person that speaks up later and says i heard a Virginia State Trooper say this was legal. So untill July 1 its not legal.

Also as far as the DD214 he has no need to know this law as its the responsibility of the circuit court to know this information. I dont see people here brow beating them for not knowing the correct information and they are the ones that are supposed to know it.

Bottom line here is the Bass pro in Ashland had a qualified person there to speak contrary to what some may believe and Hampton had a RETIRED LEO that knew nothing of what he was supposed to. This is how Leos get a bad reputation by an incomptent store trying to hold a seminar and bringing in someone that ist qualified to answer the questions.

ProShooter

imported post

I'd like to touch upon the Bass Pro comments, since I have a wee bit of knowledge regarding the seminars.

I was asked first by Bass Pro - Ashland, and later by Bass Pro - Hampton, to do all of their seminars. As luck would have it, both were scheduled at exactly the same times each day. As I have been unsuccessful in figuring out how to be in 2 places at once, I assisted the Ashland store with one of their seminars but I wasnot available to do all of them and made some recommendations of who should teach their seminars. Bass Pro Ashland apparently had a Trooper write their "Its the law" seminar and a Bass Pro employee delivered it. I did the "What is CCW" seminar today.

I have no idea who Bass Pro - Hampton got for any of their seminars but it sounds as if they didn't fare well.That is a shame because there is already enough bad info floating around out there.

My company has just signed on to teach the CHP classes forHamptonin addition to Ashland so hopefully some of those folks will come back and getthe correct info.

kennys

imported post

tkd2006 wrote:
kennys wrote:

Rest easy that the State cop as you like to put it knew the rules and laws of OC and CC in the state of Virginia better than most on this board. Why must you assume that he left anything out.

As for the retired leo in Hampton i will say with 80% certainty that he is not the Trooper in that area that does the firearms cases, this would probally be the cause of him being nervous and not knowing the information before hand. The question here is did the Hampton Bass Pro call and get a qualified person to come and speak or did they drop the ball. Bass pro in Ashland was on the ball and contacted the Trooper ahead of time which allowed him to have all of the correct information before he entered and started to speak.

As for the CC law in resturants he is correct to a point while the law was signed its not in effect. Had he spoken about in the manner of the law was signed but you cant untill July 1 there would be 1 person that speaks up later and says i heard a Virginia State Trooper say this was legal. So untill July 1 its not legal.

Also as far as the DD214 he has no need to know this law as its the responsibility of the circuit court to know this information. I dont see people here brow beating them for not knowing the correct information and they are the ones that are supposed to know it.

Bottom line here is the Bass pro in Ashland had a qualified person there to speak contrary to what some may believe and Hampton had a RETIRED LEO that knew nothing of what he was supposed to. This is how Leos get a bad reputation by an incomptent store trying to hold a seminar and bringing in someone that ist qualified to answer the questions.
Sorry to burst your bubble and I don't mean to sound like a smart a$$ about it but this is the same way it is on the street and the same reason it is better to speak with a lawyer about legalities than a cop.

When you get pulled over or are even walking by a cop whileOC or anything else you don't have the option to call up the department and request that the officer that pulls you over or wants to question you to be one that handles fire arm cases. Ignorance as the courtrecognizes is no excuse and that is a two way street. If they do not know the laws that well than they should avoid giving false information.

As far as leaving things out, quite often they talk more about what is not legal than what is legal, and some try and sway their comments to their own beliefs of the way they should be rather than the way the law is actually written.

I am not saying all cops are a-holes there are many that respect our rights and as well support us and give us due respect as lawful citizens. As well there are those a-holes that believe they are above the law and it is there way or the high way and they simply put just don’t like any one but them carrying a weapon.

2a4all

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I'd like to touch upon the Bass Pro comments, since I have a wee bit of knowledge regarding the seminars.

I was asked first by Bass Pro - Ashland, and later by Bass Pro - Hampton, to do all of their seminars. As luck would have it, both were scheduled at exactly the same times each day. As I have been unsuccessful in figuring out how to be in 2 places at once, I assisted the Ashland store with one of their seminars but I wasnot available to do all of them and made some recommendations of who should teach their seminars. Bass Pro Ashland apparently had a Trooper write their "Its the law" seminar and a Bass Pro employee delivered it. I did the "What is CCW" seminar today.

I have no idea who Bass Pro - Hampton got for any of their seminars but it sounds as if they didn't fare well.That is a shame because there is already enough bad info floating around out there.

My company has just signed on to teach the CHP classes forHamptonin addition to Ashland so hopefully some of those folks will come back and getthe correct info.
I knew you were involved with BassPro, but I didn't know the extent. It was really too bad that you couldn't have participated in Hampton. My impression, based on the questions I was asked, and how fast people gobbled up those VCDL cards was that they are very hungry for information. I should also mention that the presenter named three places locally that conducted CHP classes, but never mentioned your organization. The seminars were monitored by BassPro employees. I didn't see any signs indicating that BassPro was offering CHP classes. Perhaps too soon after you signed your agreement?

There is another series scheduled for tomorrow (Sun, May 16).

ProShooter

imported post

2a4all wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

I knew you were involved with BassPro, but I didn't know the extent. It was really too bad that you couldn't have participated in Hampton. My impression, based on the questions I was asked, and how fast people gobbled up those VCDL cards was that they are very hungry for information. I should also mention that the presenter named three places locally that conducted CHP classes, but never mentioned your organization. The seminars were monitored by BassPro employees. I didn't see any signs indicating that BassPro was offering CHP classes. Perhaps too soon after you signed your agreement?

There is another series scheduled for tomorrow (Sun, May 16).

I just met with them on Friday and gave them our brochures. I guess they haven't spread the word yet.

tkd2006

imported post

kennys wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble and I don't mean to sound like a smart a$$ about it but this is the same way it is on the street and the same reason it is better to speak with a lawyer about legalities than a cop.

When you get pulled over or are even walking by a cop whileOC or anything else you don't have the option to call up the department and request that the officer that pulls you over or wants to question you to be one that handles fire arm cases. Ignorance as the courtrecognizes is no excuse and that is a two way street. If they do not know the laws that well than they should avoid giving false information.

As far as leaving things out, quite often they talk more about what is not legal than what is legal, and some try and sway their comments to their own beliefs of the way they should be rather than the way the law is actually written.

I am not saying all cops are a-holes there are many that respect our rights and as well support us and give us due respect as lawful citizens. As well there are those a-holes that believe they are above the law and it is there way or the high way and they simply put just don’t like any one but them carrying a weapon.

I agree with some of what you are saying but ill pass some information along.

When you say ask a lawyer well let me tell ya they dont know most of the laws regarding the purchase of firearms esp the FED side. Ill drop a few questions on you and you ask your lawyer if he knows the answer.

1.will a misd conviction of marijuana stop me from buying a firearm.

2. will 2 mmisd marijuana convictions in Va stop me from buying a handgun in Va for 5 years.

3. If my charge started out as assault & batter family member and was reduced to simple assault am i able to buy.

4. i was convicted of misd assault in MD it was against my neighbor and does not in any way meet the fed defination of domestic.

The statement about "quite often they talk more about what is not legal than what is legal" which list is longer. Like its stated here if its not in the law then its legal. it could take days to say all the places you can carry but the places you cant carry is alot shorter to say. also alot easier to explain to a large group of people.

And yes there are some Leos that just want the Badge, and Gun. Its a shame that they are there and an even bigger shame that they bring down the ones that do a really good job.

ProShooter i mean no disrespect to Bass Pro i deal with both but as far as this event went Hampton dropped the ball. They could have called the Virginia State Police and requested to have someone come by. The guys at Ashland seem to really love their job and want to learn as much as possible. If you plan on teaching at the Ashland store im sure we will meet im there all the time and only live about a mile and half away.