• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Starbucks really friendly?

AL Ranger

imported post

A gay group, Pink Pistols, who is pro-gun in their efforts to fight back against gay-bashers, say that Starbucks financially supports anti-gun groups and the anti-gun agenda. Here's their link to the anti-gun list : http://www.pinkpistols.org/antigun.html Does anyone else have anything different? I'd hate to think we were funding an enemy in disguise!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I generally like the Pink Pistols (the stereotypes surrounding gun ownership are some of our worst enemies), but that list doesn't seem too useful.

No indication of how much was given, or at what regularity.

Everyone and their brother has donated to anti-gun groups. We all pay taxes, don't we? :p

But seriously, my mother donated to the Brady Campaign awhile back. She had a friend who scared her into it by recounting the shooting of herself and her boyfriend (he died). However, at this point in time, I'd say my mother is exactly what we should expect from non-carrying citizens: accepting and supportive. She's hardly anti-gun.

Now, of course, Starbucks isn't a single person or subject to the individual whims of one, but the point remains that an anecdote does not a trend create.

The simple fact is that the Brady Campaign has tried to move the battleground onto private property, and they were making decent headway until Starbucks essentially set the example for other companies to follow, firmly rejecting the Bradys' advances by returning the ball to the political arena where it belongs, and in the process allowing us to bring our guns.

Right now, this is what we need companies to do. This is what is normalizing handgun carry. Starbucks can donate to the Brady campaign all day long as far as I am concerned (well, not really... :p). Their public actions help further the chain reaction which is already making the Brady Bunch politically and socially irrelevant.

Hell, the Brady Bunch started all this, and it's only come back to bite them. Talk about pissing into the wind! If that's how they're going to spend their money, I say give 'em some of the useless NRA's money! :D The Brady Campaign has done more good for OC in the last 6 months than the NRA has (I'm only mostly serious when I say that :lol:).

AL Ranger

imported post

I almost agree when it comes to the usefulness of the NRA. It seems that they have to put a finger into the air and check the political winds before they act on anything. I've contacted Pink Pistols about this topic and hope to hear something soon. I know the Brady Bunch sometimes shot themselves in the foot and I'm all for that, in the metaphorical sense, of course. I hope that if Starbucks is playing both sides of the fence that we get more out of it than the anti-gunners do.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AL Ranger wrote:
I hope that if Starbucks is playing both sides of the fence that we get more out of it than the anti-gunners do.[/color]
I'm thinking this is exactly what's going to happen.

But then I can be an optimist. :)

Remember, in the long run, it is to our benefit if Starbucks can say "We're not pro-gun, look we even donated to the Bradys! But our policy isn't going to change, so STFU".

That makes their position unassailable, which means we win. Thanks to Starbucks, I truly believe that we will eventually win the combat on the battlegrounds of private property.

When every business and 90% of Americans accept us, we've got what we want. At that point getting everybody else to OC is just icing on the cake.

Right now, I think we should be focusing most on the "I don't carry but I support those who do" crowd. And Starbucks falls into that category in a way which is meaningful in day-to-day life, methinks.

M

McX

imported post

starbucks is realy friendly, and the upscale clientel who frequent there are 'lost-liberal' in mind enough to accept you. may even text about the flock of you. you get sacred ground- everyone knows.:dude: it is where we go.

AL Ranger

imported post

I rec'd an email back from Pink Pistols. She said that the list is about 5 years old and it hasn't been updated in a while. She also said she doesn't have the time to research the material and update it, either. I thanked her for responding and wished her luck with the website. So, I guess that pretty much leaves it up to us as to how we want to do this thing. Unless anyone else has any other info to pass along?