• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DUI roadblock last night

M

McX

imported post

to me; running a gun to see if it's stolen, is like a cop making a full inspection of your vehicle to see if he can dicipline you for anything not up to par; hey, your oil's low, here's your ticket.- that is how valid it is to me.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

How old was the cop? I've noticed a trend that a lot of the cops that want to run serial numbers are older.

NCjones

imported post

I agree. Unless the serial number was in "plain view" then I personally feel that it is a search if the cop has to do anything to make the serial number visible. Removing it from a holster where the serial number was covered for the purpose of viewing the serial number should beby definition a search.

I've noticed that 99% of my pistols have the serial number on the left side, hidden by my body, or covered by the holster.

A gun should be no different than any other personal property in the car. The cops don't run the serial number on GPS, my XM radio, my cell phone, or my power inverter.

Dreamer

imported post

Yeah, I've always wondered why they don't seem to concerned with the VIN of the vehicle, or the $2000 laptop in the back seat, or the $200 iPhone or the digial video camera that many folks also have in their vehicles or on their person when they insist on running the SN of a handgun. It seems that there are a whole lot more computers,cell phones and automobiles stolen these days than handguns...

This sort of selective investigation could be interpreted as an infringement of the "Equal protection" clause, as well as the 4th Amendment.

I do believe that if I ever am asked for my handgun so they can run it's serial numbers, I'll politely refuse, under the condition that I will gladly turn it over if they also run the numbers of everything else I have in my vehicle with a serial number.

And in my car, there are a LOT of things with serial numbers, from tools to electronics, to flashlights. I mean, it could take HOURS.

But you can't be too careful, right?...

When the State begins to work under the assumption that ALL it's citizens are guilty, they are no longer citizens, but slaves.

NCjones

imported post

Well, I don't do anything illegal so there would be no reason for a cop to do anything but run my DL and registration. Unless he's gonna pull me outta the car and do the whole pat down thing over a traffic infraction, I'd more than likely advise him I was armed and if he asked me to handover my gun I'd politely decline the invitation.

After that if he wanted to yank me out and disarm me himself I wouldn't resist, but he'd have to get my piece by taking it himself; I wouldn't voluntarily give it to him- That might imply consent. I would assume that once you were to hand it to him voluntarily, the serial number is obviously in "plain view" when he's holding it.

p85

imported post

when the numbers are run, they are entered into the eTrace system. this effectively registers the firearm to the owner. my pistol is now linked to me, something that NC doesn't even do. it should make all gun owners nervous.