• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rapid City Journal staff editorial: Recent self-defense shootings

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/news/opinion/editorial/article_a62370a4-5950-11df-8b74-001cc4c03286.html?mode=story

Last weekend there were several shootings in the Rapid City area. Two of those involved armed citizens defending themselves. The staff editorial above begrudgingly acknowledged the right if the victims to defend themselves, while at the same time explicitly urging others not to carry or use guns in self-defense. Old gems such as "...wild west...," and "we wouldn't want to encourage such bold behavior, since pulling a gun on a criminal often triggers more violence" were used.

Please read the editorial and comment or call the RCJ to let them know how you feel. I'm working on writing a "rebuttal."

SDguy

imported post

Hi, I also live in the Black Hills just south of Rapid City. I had read that article as well and I am glad you posted it here.

I carry regularly in the state as well as when I venture over to Wyoming. It is amazing how few people in South Dakota are not aware one can openly carry legally. Most know you can carry concealed with a permit but not aware of open carry.

Yes, the Rapid City Journal is somewhat liberal and their anti-gun posture occasionally shows in their paper. Did they need to discourage people from taking the responsibility for protecting themselves? I think not!

Self defense is a right in South Dakota just as voting is. Do they also discourage folks from voting? They need to report the facts without slanting the view in their direction. Perhaps one of us needs to write them with an opposing point of view and see if they can get on the opinion page so we have some fair and balanced reporting.

Better yet, it would be nice to have an open carry picnic in a down town Rapid City park and get some news coverage that way.

Contrarian

imported post

To quote some parts:

"We wouldn't want to encourage such bold behavior, since pulling a gun on a criminal often triggers more violence. A victim could wind up dead that way."

As compared to unarmed victims who die?

"Just do your best not to kill the guy..." if STOPPING the threat means the criminal expires; his call. He's the one who chose to break the law.

"Law enforcement officials would never condone it, since it's their job to protect society and they're trained to do the job the right way."

Cite? I seem to recall the Gonzales decision of the Supreme Court. Additionally, many law nforcement groups support armed self defense.