• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New permit, do I have to included town forms with my app?

Glock2010

imported post

Great forum! I'm glad I have knowledgeable people to ask about this.

I understand that in the BFPE declaratory ruling 9/28/09 say that it wasn't the intent to have each issuing authority produce their own application, but when I asked for the application it included a waiver that basically says the town police can pry into any part of my life and another form that was basically similar to the DPS form.

My question is, is it ok NOT to return the extra forms and only provide the completed PPS-799-C form when applying for my temporary permit?

As an aside, I have taken the advice I read here and applied for (but not received yet) my eligibility certificate.

Thank you very much!!!

GoldCoaster

imported post

Welcome to the site! You are correct, you don't have to return anything except those things proscribed in the law.

The local issuing authorities MAY ask for extra information but you are not legally bound to provide them. If they refuse to accept your application without them get it in writing and file an immediate appeal with the board of firearm permit examiners.

How long ago did you apply for the EC?

Glock2010

imported post

Thanks for the response and the welcome. I applied 3 weeks ago yesterday. How long have they been taking?
Thanks

Tazman2

imported post

Glock2010 wrote:
Thanks for the response and the welcome. I applied 3 weeks ago yesterday. How long have they been taking?
Thanks
Depends on the city/your luck. By law its 8 weeks maxbut really it'll probably take longer. Mine took 4 months to the day! :?

Glock2010

imported post

Tazman2 wrote:
Glock2010 wrote:
Thanks
Depends on the city/your luck. By law its 8 weeks maxbut really it'll probably take longer. Mine took 4 months to the day! :?
Thanks, but I applied for a eligibility certificate, no city involved just the state. I believe they have up to 90 days by law but I heard people were getting theirs much faster and wondered if anyone got their recently and how long it took.

Wow, I hope mine doesn't take 4 months, when did you apply?
Thanks for responding.:)

Tazman2

imported post

Glock2010 wrote:
Tazman2 wrote:
Glock2010 wrote:
Thanks
Thanks, but I applied for a eligibility certificate, no city involved just the state. I believe they have up to 90 days by law but I heard people were getting theirs much faster and wondered if anyone got their recently and how long it took.

Wow, I hope mine doesn't take 4 months, when did you apply?
Thanks for responding.:)
Mine was back in end of 07 and got it in March of 08. Yes that certificate should take less then the permit. Hopefully you'll getting the permit after as well so you can carry too! :)

Glock2010

imported post

Mine was back in end of 07 and got it in March of 08. Yes that certificate should take less then the permit. Hopefully you'll getting the permit after as well so you can carry too! :)
As soon as I get the EC and buy some guns, I'll apply for the carry permit. I'm hoping this will get me armed the quickest. At least this way I can protect myself at home while waiting to find out if I'm suitable.

Tazman2

imported post

Glock2010 wrote:
As soon as I get the EC and buy some guns, I'll apply for the carry permit. I'm hoping this will get me armed the quickest. At least this way I can protect myself at home while waiting to find out if I'm suitable.
Sounds like a plan. I assume you will be following the info from Ed about using the EC to help you get the permit faster? I didn't know about the EC when I went for mine sooo. If your record is clean then you'll be fine! ;)

Hawkmoon

imported post

Glock2010 wrote:
IMHO this is a tactical error. You jump through ALL the same hoops to get an EC that you have to go through for a permit, but with the EC once you bring a firearm home you can't (legally) even step out your front door with it. Too late now, but I think you should have gone straight for the permit.

Edward Peruta

imported post

A permit to Carry may be revoked for any reason that DPS feels makes a person "UNSUITABLE". An Eligiblity Certificate can only be revoked for a Disqulaifying factor.

An I believe you can transport a firearm to and from a recognized firing range with an Eligibility Certificate.

I stand by my belief that it pays to acquire an Eligibility Certificate first and the Permit to Carry Second.

stacks04

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
A permit to Carry may be revoked for any reason that DPS feels makes a person "UNSUITABLE". An Eligiblity Certificate can only be revoked for a Disqulaifying factor.

An I believe you can transport a firearm to and from a recognized firing range with an Eligibility Certificate.

I stand by my belief that it pays to acquire an Eligibility Certificate first and the Permit to Carry Second.
just out of curiosity, if a guy had a few handguns, and his permit was taken for what ever reason, what good would an eligibility cert be? i would still have the guns in my home, just could not carry them like with an ec.
the only thing i could see being a benefit is if i had an ec hanging around and only one gun that was taken for some reason along with my permit i could always buy a gun for defense of my home.

gluegun

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
Unfortunately you can only transport a pistol or revolver without a permit to a firing range if it is for "formal pistol or revolver training" at a "locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility." I would find it hard to believe that going to the range for unstructured range time without an instructor could be considered "formal training."

mrjam2jab

imported post

gluegun wrote:
Edward Peruta wrote:
Unfortunately you can only transport a pistol or revolver without a permit to a firing range if it is for "formal pistol or revolver training" at a "locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility." I would find it hard to believe that going to the range for unstructured range time without an instructor could be considered "formal training."

but how could you prove whether there was or wasn't an instructor at the range? IE. If i go an pay for an hour with the in-house instructor...there is no completion certificate for that kind of training...is that still "formal training" ?

Edward Peruta

imported post

Contact Trooper Thomas Hatfield at DPS and pose the queston to him.

Trooper Hatfield is now assigned to the Legal Affairs Unit.

Discussions have taken place regarding this topic and he has an opinion you might want to hear.