• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carried in Janesville kicked out of menards

kawisixer01

imported post

I had some shopping to do today and wanted to price out meterials for a tile job at home. Went to walmart, farm and fleet, and target with no problems and not even any weird looks really.
Then I headed over to menards. I was in for awhile and covered pretty much the whole store getting prices. I talked to a couple workers without incident and then stopped and looked through a tile book. I was just headin for the door when a guy from "menards loss prevention" comes up to me half out of breath and lookin like he really did not want to approach me comes up. He mumbles something about it being against policy to carry in the store. I responded that it was not posted at the door and needs to be if that is their policy. He then says I need to removed it from the store for "the comfort of our customers". I say ok and start heading for the door. He asks why I am carrying and I simply respond that the constitution of the wi and the us assure me the right to carry and that wi requires open carry by law if exercizing carry. He asks if I'm law enforcement and I respond with no, and that was about the end of it. He followed me out the door and thanked me for being cooperative as if i t was unnexpected that I would be. I heard something about "it's not illegal" or something to that nature from someone as I was walking but really was't wanting to get stuck in a debate so kept on my way.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If anybody else ever runs into a situation like this, the following information will be most helpful (Date, Time, Store - Name, Number, and address, individual's name spoken with).

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman wrote:
I just got off the phone with Bill Worley, the assistant store manager at Menards in Janesville.

The staff at the Janesville store was unaware Open-Carry was legal in Wisconsin.

Menards DOES NOT have a policy against open-carry by law-abiding citizens so long a they are not behaving otherwise inappropriately and abiding within the law.

Mr. Worley advised me that kawisixer01 was doing nothing wrong and behaving completely appropriately.

The store management called Janesville police and Janesville police verified for the store management that Open-carry is LEGAL.

Mr. Worley advised me that we are welcome to carry in their store in the future (of course respecting all laws and behaving appropriately)

Menards is a Wisconsin based corporation and I'm happy to say that we are welcome to continue to patronize their store. Kawisixer, you are welcome to open-carry when you shop at Menards in Janesville in the future.

Carry On