• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry

imported post

Could somebody tell me why police in my area say you cannot open carry and have ammo with you even if the ammo is in the magazine in the belt holster notattach to the firearm I walked in the police station with the one minute brief flayer to ask they said the law is that you can open carry but no ammo can be in your possession they said I could be shot by apolice man or get arrested I went to the North Hollywoodpolice station also went to San Fernando police station and the Foothill police station with my question and they all said the same I was reading on line and from what I understand is that you can carry ammo with you???????? I also read that police do not need to know the law about this matter and if you are carrying ammo you will be arrested.Is this true???

imported post

S&M 9mm Open Carry wrote:
Could somebody tell me why police in my area say you cannot open carry and have ammo with you even if the ammo is in the magazine in the belt holster notattach to the firearm I walked in the police station with the one minute brief flayer to ask they said the law is that you can open carry but no ammo can be in your possession they said I could be shot by apolice man or get arrested I went to the North Hollywoodpolice station also went to San Fernando police station and the Foothill police station with my question and they all said the same I was reading on line and from what I understand is that you can carry ammo with you???????? I also read that police do not need to know the law about this matter and if you are carrying ammo you will be arrested.Is this true???

open4years

imported post

You didn't state where you're from. But, what you were told sounds ridiculous to me. No offense to LEO's here, but I have heard some LEOs spout off the law, on some issues, and they are absolutely incorrect. One told me that the Fire Dept. enforces handicap parking violations. I kindly told him that it was his duty to enforce those violations.

And yes, we were standing at the sign and nowhere near to a fire zone. He refused to enforce the violation. I wrote a letter to the editor and, when it was published, I got a call from the Chief of Police informing me that the officer was wrong (I knew that) and he "educated" his officers that day on HP violations.

This officer had been on the force for 30+ years. Look up the law yourself, on the net, print it out and carry it with you. What you were told seems more in line with some firearms in vehicles laws.

open4years

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
open4years wrote:
You didn't state where you're from.
It's in the subtitle of the thread, Pacoima, CA.

To answer the OP questions... it's because the police there don't want you to have the means available to defend yourself against crime.  And yes, it is true they might arrest you.  That does not mean the court will throw it out and you won't be convicted, though.  It might even mean you could win a big lawsuit against the police.

Yep, it sure is; Right there for all (except for me) to see!

teddyearp

imported post

My advice to the OP: GET OUT NOW! I was born in Whittier in 1960. California was a gr8 place to live for many years, lots of nice and diverse landspaces to visit and be a part of. In some ways I miss it, yet only for the landscape; never the people, politics (and no offence, the LEO's).

Then I had a home invasion robbery at gun point in 1991 by two perps. Scared the crap out of one of my visitors, I only had a .25ACP outside of reach at one point and then a single shot .410 with a slug at another, NOT! Let me back up to 1982 where it took me TWO (yes, 2 actually a 15 day waiting period) weeks for me to be able to buy a .38 spl revolver. The home invaders got caught and did 3 years max.

Fast forward to post home invasion 1991. By this time the .38 spl mentioned above has already been stolen from my house, via a burglary. A friend of mine turns me on to Cap-n-ball revolvers and then the movie "Tombstone" comes out. Double jeapordy for me being a Cali resident, I guess. I get me a couple. Then I find out in 1995 the hard way that Cali has many different aspects to their gun laws, i.e. PC 12026 and 12031, both of which caused me to lose two 'antique' style handguns with these handguns being on the back of my motorcycle's carrying rack, inside of a case that is 'bungied' to the rack with two bungie cords, yet lacking a seperate lock. The LEO booked me into the SW Riverside county jail (near Murrietta) and when asked "what you got there" by a fellow officer, he replied "the outlaw josie wales" while twirling MY firearms. Needless to say, I never saw those handguns again and did have to do some 'retribution' to the "state" later on for that. To elaborate, PC 12031 (way back then) said that you CAN NOT carry a loaded firearm. PC 12026 states that you can only carry a firearm in your vehicle whenit is carried in it's own seperate LOCKED container (and this does NOT mean your glovebox NOR your trunk) and still is in compliance with PC 12031 (unloaded). This does not even mention or count my 12020 dismissed charge for an antique 12mm/.410 bore J Stevens 18xx built shotgun that had a less than 18" barrel CONFISCATED! Not a PC search. Not enough edjident circumstances for a 'warrantless' search. Case dropped, (collectable) weapon lost forever.

OK, this is a long post, and now I have found it to be my own personal progression to my OpenCarry (which began WAY before this site)and also one of my reasons for leaving Cali for good as well as a few other things, lol.

So, not to be deterred, I went ahead and bought another C-N-B revolver from Cabela's while awaiting my 'outlaw josie wales' case. A C-N-B (Cap and Ball) revolver falls under the 'curios' portion of Federal Law and there is NO state in the USA that can impose a waiting period/background check. After receiving it I decided to take a trip to AZ in 1996. As I mentioned elsewhere on this site, I had very favorable open carry/encounters with LEO's in AZ. In 1995, I went to Tombstone, AZ and asked at Spangenberg's gun shop and was told there that as long as a tiny bit was visible, I would be OK. So I tested this by tucking my (loaded) pistol into my homemade inside the belt holster and after walking past the marshall, I was OK. This is only my second post here, but look to my first to see the rest of my experiences with OC in AZ. One (and all) of which were predicated upon my handgun being in a holster. I wanted to elaborate here, but search my user nmae for my first post and I think it's all there.

To suffice, I would GTFO of Cali ASAP. And when my family obligations are done here in WA, expect to see me again in Pinetop (or nearby) AZ.

imported post

I did and I also printed them and carry them with me but the police stations I went to said they where old and that the law was open. Carrying without ammo on your possession

nowaysayhey

imported post

SMamp;M 9mm Open Carry wrote:
They also use maverick maps to pin point your location from school zones so when I'm out I always have it open on my Droid.
can you explain a little about this. what are maverick maps and what is it that you have on your droid. is it an app that tells you how near you are to a school or federal property?

imported post

Yes exactly that it tells you how far you are from a school what happens is that cops call the dispatcher and gives your location the maverick map tells them if you are within a 1000 feet of a school and I will tell you it is very accurate.

Siett13

imported post

i read the law and it says as long as it is not in a postion to fire ie chambered round or load mag. other wise u should be fine. i live in sacramento and have asked many cops and sherrifs they all have said it would be ok toopen carry and ahve loaded mags on the oposing hip. i have a question my self, can u open carry on public transit in cali?

nowaysayhey

imported post

Siett13 wrote:
i read the law and it says as long as it is not in a postion to fire ie chambered round or load mag. other wise u should be fine. i live in sacramento and have asked many cops and sherrifs they all have said it would be ok toopen carry and ahve loaded mags on the oposing hip. i have a question my self, can u open carry on public transit in cali?
Im not sure what point you are addressing with your comment? is it the school zone question?

Siett13

imported post

the very first post, but i am still lost on the public transit part for cali. i have looked online and cant find anything saying if its ok or not.

nowaysayhey

imported post

ok cool thanks for clearing up. yeah in regards to public transit open carry it might be a problem because if you pass 1000 ft near a school zone you might be in trouble.
unless you are doing it in the traditional other way of carrying which is in a locked container.

rmansu2

imported post

Can you do me a huge favor. SLOW DOWN. Punctuate your post. It's kind of hard to read a 10 line run-on sentence.

eye95

imported post

rmansu2 wrote:
Can you do me a huge favor. SLOW DOWN. Punctuate your post. It's kind of hard to read a 10 line run-on sentence.
A translation:

Could somebody tell me why police in my area say you cannot open carry and have ammo with you, even if the ammo is in the magazine in the belt holster notattached to the firearm?

I walked into the police station briefly to ask. They said the law is that you can open carry but no ammo can be in your possession. They said I could be shot by apolice man, or get arrested I went to the North Hollywoodpolice station. Also, I went to the San Fernando police station and the Foothill police station with my question. They all said the same.

I was reading on line. From what I understand, you can carry ammo with you??? I also read that police do not need to know the law about this matter. And, if you are carrying ammo, you will be arrested.Is this true?