• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in Ohio

Snowman

imported post

i have been checking around on the internet in the state of Ohio does your gun have to be unloaded or can it be loaded can someone answer this Thank you i just found out on buckeyefirearms.com that it is legal to have the gun loaded.

rottman43055

imported post

Yep, loaded is fine.

If you are visitng Ohiojust remember in a vehicle you must have a concealed handgun license no matter if you OC or CC.

DonM2

imported post

Ohio has to recognize the state's ccw your using. I have a PA LTCF(ccw) but cannot drive into Ohio.

rottman43055

imported post

DonM2 wrote:
Ohio has to recognize the state's ccw your using. I have a PA LTCF(ccw) but cannot drive into Ohio.

Only ifthere is an agreement between the states in question. (I have no idea where the OP is from)

Ohio has receprocity with several states, but I am not sure which ones they are.

DonM2

imported post

As stated i'm in PA about 1/2 hr drive to Ohio. Family and work takes me into Ohio several times a month. Can I even have a gun in the car if I'm stopping other than for gas or an emergency (federal transport laws)and the gun must be stored properly.

eye95

imported post

Life on OCDO would be so much easier if folks would put their city and State in their profile so that it shows up on all posts. Yes, on most boards, this would be totally unnecessary. However, with law being such a concern here, and with it varying so from State to State (and even city to city), practicality demands that we forgo this bit of privacy.

aluminum3

imported post

If all you have is an PA permit, you cannot have a loaded weapon in your vehicle at all (in OH). Even if your magazine is in the trunk and loaded, and your empty pistol is in the glove compartment, it is considered loaded. However, anyone legal to own/posses a firearm may open carry while not in a motor-vehicle.

Dreamer

imported post

OC is legal in Ohio, and OH has State Preemtion, which prohibits local governments from passing restrictive laws about carry. However, despite this state preemption law, some cities and municipalities have been recently trying to pass and enforce restrictions on carry above and beyond OH state law. So unless you want to be a "test case", you need to check up on the local laws that may attempt to restrict carry. Just because a law is illegal, doesn't mean they won't try to enforce it...

The following states have reciprocity with OH:

AK, AZ, AR, CO, DE, FL, ID, KY, MI, MO, NE, NC, OK, SC, TN, UT, VA, WA, WV, WY

Here is the OH Attorney General's website on concealed carry reciprocity--this is the OFFICIAL list of states with reciprocity agreements:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/files/Publications/Publications-for-Law-Enforcement/Concealed-Carry-Publications/Concealed-Carry.aspx

And here is the "uscarry.com" page on OH, but it is VERY out-of-date with regards to reciprocity states (OH revised their reciprocity agreements this year):

http://www.usacarry.com/ohio_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

If you're from PA and want to carry concealed or in your vehicle in OH, the best thing to do is get a UT or VA non-resident permit--they are recognized in OH, regardless of where you reside...