• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry

hemisport

imported post

A few weeks ago my wife and I were shopping at Wal Mart Grocery on Lake Mead, between Torrey Pines & Jones. I was carrying (Open Carry) a Kahr CW 45 that I hadn't added to my permit yet (I have qulified with itsince; still waiting on revised permit).The gal at the front door (greeter) really watched me as I walked in with my cart. I even mentioned to my wife how I wondered if anything would happen. After about 5 -7 minutes, a manager approached me. asking if I had a permit to carry my gun. Realizing she had no idea what she was talking about, I used it as a chance to educate her.

I first told her that Nevada was an open carry state and a permit was not required to carry as I was. I mentioned that the gun was registered and that I would show her my registration card if she wanted me to. She asked to see it. While I had my wallet out, I went ahead and pulled out my CCW. I then explained the difference to her. She thanked me for the education and went about her business.

Anyway, I had been in that Wal Mart on three other occasions after that event, under the same circumstances, with no issuea at all. Last week, my wife and I were shopping again; I had my gun in plane sight. A large gentleman approached me and asked me to unarm myself in the parking lot and I could continue shopping.

I tried to explain to him that it was my right to carry and that he had no rightto force me to do that. I mentioned that iffirearms were not allowed in Wal Mart then Wal Mart should post a sign stating so but until then I would continue to do so. He mentioned an off duty officer was in the week before and when he was asked, he complied with no problems. I told him that it was the officers perogotive to do so.

I finally did complywith his request.I'm curious if I was right in what I said and if I could have refused and continued shopping. I realize that Metro probably would have been called but if I'm within my rights, I'll deal with that.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. If there are any officers out there, you're feedback would also be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

The Big Guy

imported post

I don't shop at Wally world for a lot of reasons, non of which is open carry as it's never been a issue for me there. Unless I am mistaken, my understanding is that WM follows local laws with regard to the carry of firearms. Perhaps you should have asked him to check with upper management.

Sabotage70

imported post

The Big Guy wrote:
I don't shop at Wally world for a lot of reasons, non of which is open carry as it's never been a issue for me there. Unless I am mistaken, my understanding is that WM follows local laws with regard to the carry of firearms. Perhaps you should have asked him to check with upper management.
Same here. I quit shopping there long before I started to carry.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hemisport wrote:
He mentioned an off duty officer was in the week before and when he was asked, he complied with no problems. I told him that it was the officers perogotive to do so.

I finally did complywith his request.I'm curious if I was right in what I said and if I could have refused and continued shopping. I realize that Metro probably would have been called but if I'm within my rights, I'll deal with that.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. If there are any officers out there, you're feedback would also be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
If that off-duty police officer was Metro, he was in violation of policy. Policy 5/208.02 Section III states:

Personally-owned handgun carrier in addition to the duty handgun or while off-duty. Off-duty/backup handguns are required to be concealed when carried.

Caliber: .45 ACP or Smaller

Ammunition: Must be provided by employee and must be commercial manufacturer, American made, consistent with department issued ammunition. If the employee desires to carry .357 magnum ammunition, they must use that ammunition to qualify.
Did you do the right thing? If they ask you to leave, you must comply under trespass laws. However, the only ones authorized to ask you to leave are the store manager and/or a member of the security staff authorized by the manager to trespass customers. Since a manager at the same store already gave you permission the week before, you might have tried asking for a manager and then explaining the previous encounter with management.

Also, I believe it's Walmart's policy to follow state law.

Finally, many of the folks here, myself included, recommend that if you're asked to leave, you do so. Leave your purchases right there and walk out. Make it known that you won't shop in a place that puts you in danger.

When you disarmed and returned to the store, you reinforced this bad behavior and rewarded them with your hard earned cash. There are other places to shop. In fact, there are many other Walmarts that offer the same products, but also respect your right to be armed.

28kfps

imported post

timf343
My question to you is I remember reading where Wal-Mart corporate says Wal-Mart stores will follow the laws of the state they are in. That being the case open carry should be good to go at Nevada Wal-Marts. Of course if the person asking for someone to leave and is truly representing the store managers request one must leave. However, in your opinion would it do any good to contact Wal-Mart Corporate asking about this Wal-Mart?

Vegassteve

imported post

hemisport wrote:
A few weeks ago my wife and I were shopping at Wal Mart Grocery on Lake Mead, between Torrey Pines & Jones. I was carrying (Open Carry) a Kahr CW 45 that I hadn't added to my permit yet (I have qulified with itsince; still waiting on revised permit).The gal at the front door (greeter) really watched me as I walked in with my cart. I even mentioned to my wife how I wondered if anything would happen. After about 5 -7 minutes, a manager approached me. asking if I had a permit to carry my gun. Realizing she had no idea what she was talking about, I used it as a chance to educate her.

I first told her that Nevada was an open carry state and a permit was not required to carry as I was. I mentioned that the gun was registered and that I would show her my registration card if she wanted me to. She asked to see it. While I had my wallet out, I went ahead and pulled out my CCW. I then explained the difference to her. She thanked me for the education and went about her business.

Anyway, I had been in that Wal Mart on three other occasions after that event, under the same circumstances, with no issuea at all. Last week, my wife and I were shopping again; I had my gun in plane sight. A large gentleman approached me and asked me to unarm myself in the parking lot and I could continue shopping.

I tried to explain to him that it was my right to carry and that he had no rightto force me to do that. I mentioned that iffirearms were not allowed in Wal Mart then Wal Mart should post a sign stating so but until then I would continue to do so. He mentioned an off duty officer was in the week before and when he was asked, he complied with no problems. I told him that it was the officers perogotive to do so.

Here is what you did wrong.

Yes it is your right to carry, BUT you are on pvt property so they can ask you to leave. So telling them you have a right is moot on the pvt property.

Second you showed them things they did not need to see. Blue card and CCW. They are not cops and thus have no reason at all to see them.

In Nevada a pvt biz does not have to post a sign. The signs only carry force of law on public owned buildings.

You also went in with a mindset that something may happen. If you choose to OC then do it and be normal about it. If you have the mindset that its not normal so will others.

You went ahead and bought things. Tim covered this.

Also if you went to tha car and disarmed then you were handling your weapon in public when it did not need to be touched. That is how ND happen.

28kfps

imported post

Thank you for your message.

Dear ********* *********,

There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun.

As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care

LvstudentDoc

imported post

i was gonna open carry in walmart today on nellis and boulder and test my luck, but decided I would just conceal and save myself the headache because I just needed to run in there real quick and leave. I know in the garden section on the door it says no firearms allowed, but isnt posted at the other 2 doors. Oh well this is the same place that wont sell ammo after sundown, but go to the walmart on marks and sunset and they sold me like 250 rnds at 2 am. Guess the point i am trying to make is if you have a ccw, save yourself the headache not gonna win with the uneducated people at walmart and its better to have your gun and them not know then be asked to put it in the car. :cuss:

flagellum

imported post

Well of course it's going to be easiser with a CCW concealed, but I mean at least for me the reason most of us do this isn't for comfort, it's to stand up for our rights and to educate as many as possible.

45 ACP rocks

imported post

LvstudentDoc wrote:
i was gonna open carry in walmart today on nellis and boulder and test my luck, but decided I would just conceal and save myself the headache because I just needed to run in there real quick and leave. I know in the garden section on the door it says no firearms allowed, but isnt posted at the other 2 doors. Oh well this is the same place that wont sell ammo after sundown, but go to the walmart on marks and sunset and they sold me like 250 rnds at 2 am. Guess the point i am trying to make is if you have a ccw, save yourself the headache not gonna win with the uneducated people at walmart and its better to have your gun and them not know then be asked to put it in the car. :cuss:
For me, it's all about self defense. I'm into WalMart at least once a week since I began OC in September, haven't been hassled yet. I consider large parking lots unsafe, and won't walk up to the front door of the big box stores without my protection. That's enough to overcome the slight dread of maybe being confronted by yet another ignorant gun-phobic.

I made this same safety point today at my local Costco. It was a two-for, with me getting a "nice gun" from the card checker on the way in, and a "I think I'll start carrying mine, what caliber you got?" from the bag screaner on the way out. Both were nice, senior-type ladies. I stopped on the way out and we talked about her wanting to carry on the job, and we both agreed that parking lots are dangerous.

We also agreed that, at our mature ages, trying to run away or fight back are lousy options, and that calling 911 is no option at all. She was most interested in my point-of-view that OC is strategical, compared to CC being tactical; i.e., better to ward off the bad guys than to have the tactical surprise after the action begins. OC is the senior citizen's friend.

Edit: Senior moment again .... it was at Sam's Club, not a Costco. Sorry, my bad:?

45 ACP rocks

imported post

Vegassteve wrote:
Good thoughts Rick. Also I had been under the impression that costco was no gun joint.
It might vary by location. This is the one off Craig Rd at the I-15. I've been OC in there about twice monthly since last September.

Also, might be because nobody sees me as much of a threat. I think senior citizens are less likely to spook the nervous. Or maybe it's my mobility assistance device. They can't decide which weapon to call about. Man with a cane? Man with a gun? Oh, well, why bother. Just another one of the not many advantages of getting old.

Sabotage70

imported post

I have OC at the costco at Charleston and the 215. The checker threaten to call the cops on me. But that was for complaining that I could never walk out of that place without spending more than $100. Just trying to get a few things I spent about $130.:lol:

merle

imported post

I OC at Wal-Mart in Carson City all the time. Only one time did someone come up chat me up about it (another shopper). But never been followed around, and it's extremely rare if I get a 2nd look.

At the Costco gas station, I've had quite a few conversations when OC'ng. Twice it was from the guys who work there.

Same thing with Lowes, nothing. Only once did a sales lady ask what I did for a living. This was only after I purchased $2500 of appliances so I don't think she was worried, more curious.

varminter22

imported post

No problem here. I somewhat frequently OC at WallyWorld here in Fallon.

Matter of fact, I just got home from there; had a burger and picked up a couple of things.

Have been doing so for a couple of years. No problem yet.

BBJCaptain

imported post

LvstudentDoc wrote:

LSD, I open carry in that walmart a couple times a week and have had no issues at all. I make it a point to take off my sunglasses before I get to the door greeter, and respond to their greeting. If you look relaxed and confident, they usually don't give you a second glances.

just scene my short hand for lvstudentDoc:lol:

LvstudentDoc

imported post

BBJCaptain wrote:
LvstudentDoc wrote:

LSD, I open carry in that walmart a couple times a week and have had no issues at all. I make it a point to take off my sunglasses before I get to the door greeter, and respond to their greeting. If you look relaxed and confident, they usually don't give you a second glances.

next time i go in there i will test my luck, and prob luck with metro as they are always outside for someone that was passin a bad check or stealing from the store.

28kfps

imported post

BBJCaptain wrote:
LvstudentDoc wrote:

BBjcaptin I have no idea if it really makes a difference however I agree with you as to looking as confident as possible. When I do open carry in Las Vegas I do dress up a little. I guess I would call it nice casual. I always have my shirt tucked in when carrying. Wearing nice Levis or casual dress type shorts which takes a belt and my encounters have been only one so far and it was no big deal and I believe it creates a lot less concern for my open carried firearm. I have seen some of the pictures posted on this form and see where many in the pictures carry open with un-tucked shirts hiked up and over the gun to expose it. I live in Pahrump un-tucked shirt hiked up over my firearm here in Pahrump is good enough to afriend’s wedding. However Pahrump is a lot smaller and a lot more countrified than Las Vegas. I do not want to miss direct the original post however, if anyone does test out the dress casual and shirt tucked in how about posting the results on a new topic.