• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Keltec pf9

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Gundude wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Gundude wrote:
If an LEOsees you with a 20 rd mag, even though you tell him you bought it in 1990, he has PC to arrest you.
Citation?
The person making the original post seems, from his past posts,to befrom Georgia. If he is found here with a high cap mag, it would follow that he imported it. Thats where the RS would come into play.
I agree that importing a normal capacity magazine into CA would normally be a crime, but the OP could very well have owned his magazine in CA prior to January 1, 2000. Possession of a normal capacity magazine isn't a crime, so saying that a police officer would have PC to arrest is false. If a police officer pulls you over while you are driving into CA and finds a brand new normal capacity magazine sitting on your dashboard, then he would have PC (I think). If you walk into a police station and assemble a normal capacity magazine in the lobby then that'd be PC as well. The only time simple possession would be PC would be if a knowledgeable officer saw a person possessing a magazine that didn't exist prior to the year 2000 (like a magpul p-mag).

Gundude

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
Gundude wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Gundude wrote:
If an LEOsees you with a 20 rd mag, even though you tell him you bought it in 1990, he has PC to arrest you.
Citation?
The person making the original post seems, from his past posts,to befrom Georgia. If he is found here with a high cap mag, it would follow that he imported it. Thats where the RS would come into play.
I agree that importing a normal capacity magazine into CA would normally be a crime, but the OP could very well have owned his magazine in CA prior to January 1, 2000. Possession of a normal capacity magazine isn't a crime, so saying that a police officer would have PC to arrest is false. If a police officer pulls you over while you are driving into CA and finds a brand new normal capacity magazine sitting on your dashboard, then he would have PC (I think). If you walk into a police station and assemble a normal capacity magazine in the lobby then that'd be PC as well. The only time simple possession would be PC would be if a knowledgeable officer saw a person possessing a magazine that didn't exist prior to the year 2000 (like a magpul p-mag).
The keltec 9mm wasn't on the market till the fall of 2006. Not sure about the Military & Police .40.

Iopencarry

imported post

and even if he could win in court, he would loose the use of his gun for a yr. or more, as it will be in the lock-up. He will have to pay for a lawyer to prove that he had the mag IN CA before 1990, and all for what?

rmodel65

imported post

none of my pistols are that old....i couldnt even buy guns in 2000 :p i was only 17

i doubt i would carry openly(but you never know)just want to make sure the gun locked up in the car or in the house is gtg

neither guns have safeties is that ok?? i guess i could always just bring my mossberg 500...

Gundude

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
none of my pistols are that old....i couldnt even buy guns in 2000 :p i was only 17

i doubt i would carry openly(but you never know)just want to make sure the gun locked up in the car or in the house is gtg

neither guns have safeties is that ok?? i guess i could always just bring my mossberg 500...
.40 S&W M&P Pistols
209000: 15 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $719.00
109000: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $ n/a (California Compliant)
209200: 15 Rd, Mag Safety, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $719.00
109200: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $719.00 (California Compliant)
209300: 15 Rd, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $719.00
109300: 10 Rd, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $719.00
209400: 15 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $ n/a
109400: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $ n/a (California Compliant)
209600: 15 Rd, Mag Safety, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $ n/a
109600: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $ n/a(California Compliant)

rmodel65

imported post

do they have to be on that list to bring with me sorry im a noob on cali law....i just might have a chance to head west for a week this summer

Gundude

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
do they have to be on that list to bring with me sorry im a noob on cali law....i just might have a chance to head west for a week this summer
Calif has a "safe handgun" list. The manufacturers pay a fee, submit it for testing to see if it's safe. (big joke) It's just to get some money. If they make a black model and have it tested and then make the exact gun in stainless, it has to be submitted for testing, and pay another fee.

Decoligny

imported post

Gundude wrote:
ryanburbridge wrote:
I did not read that part. Where did you see anything about reciepts in the law?
The burden of proof is on you to show they were purchased before the deadline.

BS Flag.

The burden is ALWAYS on law enforcement to prove that you violated the law.

Did you keep the receipt for the pants you are wearing? How does the cop know you didn't steal them and are in possession of illegal "stolen property"? If the burdern of proof was on you, then you would have to prove you bought the pants, or you would go to jail.

Decoligny

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:

The only thing you have to worry about when bringing a handgun with you into California for a visit is as follows:

1. No greater than 10 round magazines.

2. No threaded barrel on any semi-auto with a removable magazine. This makes it an "Assault Weapon".

3. No "Short Barrel Shotguns". Do not bring a handgun like the Taurus Judge that can accept shotgun shells.

The "Safe Gun List" is only applicable to guns that are bought new in California. You can bring a gun that is not on the list into California and be perfectly legal.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Gundude wrote:
Citation?

"Probable Cause" to arrest means he reasonably KNOWS you committed a crime. Mere possession is not a crime. The officer would have to articulate how he "reasonably knows" that you imported, manufactured or offered for sale a "large-capacity" magazine.

IMO the most likely worst-case scenario is the cop confiscates your mags and the dept tries to require proof of pre-ban possession before returning your mags. Nothing a quick call from CGN won't fix. (And this is the type of case they would probably take on.)

ETA: Missed page 2 entirely; I see someone else already called you on this and you responded.

The problem with your logic is that you assume the cop would know the OP is from Georgia. And even then, if he's visiting CA now, who's to say he (and his mags) didn't visit pre-ban? The law doesn't say you had to be a CA resident, only that you had to possess the mags in this state before a certain date.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

L in Oakland wrote:
I think the 1st paragraph spells out exactly what I was refer to: I could be wrong though. But if you bring in a illegal gun into this state then the bets are all off. That's my point.

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

As far as the name calling, I don't feel I sad anything that was considered name calling. If you or others feel offended by myremarks then "I'll take them back". I'm not her to bash others. I'm here to hear valid points and opinions and not what if's. I have read many of you opinions and respect them! I think I will just sit and read the posts as I have been for many months now because we come from the different side of the tracks. Carry on.
No offense taken, just pointing out that your referring to the OP's question as childish and lacking common sense was unwarranted.

Also, in that paragraph you quoted above, note that the statute makes importation/transferring/lending/offering FOR SALE a crime, but EXEMPTS private party transfers.

So, anyone can import an off-roster handgun for personal use, or even for sale to another private party. The only way a sale is NOT a PPT is if an FFL is the buyer or seller.

As someone else pointed it, the roster is not about safety, it's about revenue.