• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

M&P 9mm Owners?

Mr H

imported post

I can't recallhearing anything negative from an M&P owner.

My son wishes he could use his .45 as his service weapon, and my .40 has been flawless through apx. 2000 rounds.

At least onelocal police jurisdiction is moving to the .40 as their main sidearm.

All in all, a reliable platform.

ecocks

imported post

I also have a .40 (same size as the 9) as my alternate carry and have found it excellent on the range with better capacity, the same accuracy and slightly lighter than my #1 weapon. No problems with about 400-450 rounds through it so far. Love it.

Porter N

imported post

I went out shooting with a friend last weekend and shot a S&W 9mm for the first time.

I liked the feel and I didn't have any problems. But while he was shooting it, It jammed three times. He attributed the failure-to-feeds to needing to 'oil it more.'

marrero jeff

imported post

while i've never had the chance to shoot one i've heard only good things from very experienced shooters. i definitely like the ergonomicws more than a glock, i can't however, say its better because i havent shot one.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

While I don't own and have never fired an M&P9, I do own an M&P40. Here is a simple and no-cost method of smoothing and reducing the trigger pull, requiring no disassembly.

Make sure the magazine and gun are unloaded - check it then check again. Release the the striker by dry firing the gun. Now "work" the trigger; pull it rather quickly from rest all the way to the rear (not dry firing). Do this many times. I have done this to mine over 6,000 times. The result is a vastly improved trigger feel.

Try it.

Eeyore

imported post

I use an M&P9 as my OC & winter CC gun. It is a very good gun--similar quality to XDs and Glocks, but with better ergos than either. The 3 different backstraps change both the size and the swell of the grip. It also has optional configurations (with/without manual safety, with/without mag disconnect) if you insist on those features. It was originally designed as a .40, so it's more-than-tough-enough as a 9mm.

Out of the box the trigger is about 6 pounds, give or take, and somewhat gritty. For about $65 you can have some smithing done or get an aftermarket kit that will significantly improve the trigger (better reset, shorter travel, cleaner break, and can reduce pull weight if you want). I've shot some before & after, and it's worth the $65.

Holster availability is good (though not great), as are aftermarket goodies like guide rod and CrimsonTrace laser sights, night sights, etc.

Sadly, my accuracy with the 4.25" M&P appears to be about the same as my 3" PT111. I attribute this to the tougher trigger pull (6.5 lb vs. 3.5 lb). Once I have my M&P trigger reworked (probably the Apex Tactical DCAEK kit), we'll see if my accuracy improves.

I'm perfectly comfortable using 9mm as a self-defense round, for a lot of reasons I won't go into here so as not to re-spark the timeless debate.

Bottom line: it's as good a mid-priced polymer-framed auto as you're likely to find.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Did someone just mention M&P?

I have two in 9mm LOL.

One without mag safety ( Prefer this one)

One with!

Thinking about trading one for a .40, and getting a conversion kit.

AL Ranger

imported post

I have two regular sized M&P in .40 as well as a compact in .40. My fiance has aM&P in 9mm. So, I guess you could say we are fans. Having shot them countless times at the range, I have nothing but praise for these pistols. I carry them open and concealed and have no problem with using them for self-defense. You can buy some used and save a lot of money, especially if the store is having a sale on S&W. Sometimes you can even buy one with several magazines. The first one I bought was new and it came with 3 mags which was the selling point for me, as well as the changable grips.